Valvoline "Modern Engine Synthetic"

"For vehicles 2012 and newer"

brb dumping this in my 02 silverado.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I stopped by an autozone just now and took a picture of the back label. This was the “Modern Engine” 0w20:

Now I'm perplexed by what sequence of events would have to transpire to possess me to contact Valvoline's twenty-four hour emergency hotline, particularly referencing the telephone number from the back of a jug of oil.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Amsoil is going to start looking cheap unless they get this virus too!

crackmeup2.gif

I can't wait until some guy at Autozone tries to prevent a customer from buying it for their 2011 because "it states on the bottle it is only for 2012 and newer".

Originally Posted By: bbhero
True
lol.gif

I didn't mention my car's year... 08. Just for this reason
smile.gif

Did you buy a jug?

Yeah sure did buy one.. $29.99 for Max oil filter and 5 qt Valvoline ME full synthetic.

There ya go.

Yeah sure did buy one.. $29.99 for Max oil filter and 5 qt Valvoline ME full synthetic.

Make sure to take a good look at the anti drainback valve before screwing that filter on! Make sure it's not cut by the inlet holes.

I've seen this Modern Engine Valvoline in 5w-30. I definitely want to put this in my 1988 Honda Civic with 210,000 miles on it. I'm a Valvoline type of person.

I've used Synpower on occasion but only on sale.

usually stick to durablend in my truck and max life in a few others.

but with that price....I'd go with Royal Purple first, of course thats the parts store price not walmart price, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm waiting on the Napa oil sale....hope thats coming soon.

I ended up going to a Valvoline Instant Oil change place. They put Valvoline Synpower with MaxLife 0w20 in it instead of regular Synpower. Not a big deal but that's not what I wanted. I'll switch to the new Modern Engine oil once it's available.

Shortening your OCI will so far more to prevent intake port/valve carbon buildup than any fancy oil will. The problem isn’t the oil, it’s the soot particles suspended in the oil. Shorter OCI, less soot.

I was able to get a PDS for this new product (it should be available on Valvoline’s website soon). Not that one can tell a lot from a PDS, but it seems unremarkable:

0w-20:
KV 100C = 8.8
VI= 170
Noack = 12%

5w-30:
KV 100C = 9.8
VI = 165
Noack = 11%

Typical certifications: SN, GF5, dexos1Gen2, no ACEA mentioned.

Another D1G2 oil where 0w-20 and 5w-30 viscosities are separated by the thinnest of margins.

Maybe UOAs will prove otherwise but there doesn’t seem to be a compelling reason to pay a premium price for this oil over regular Valvoline, M1,Castrol Edge. etc.

I thought Amsoils 5w30 at 10.3 is pretty thin...was i wrong lol.

I think PUP in the same weight is around 10cst. No sweat for going up on the grade for those thinking about it - minimal difference with 0w20 but much better noack numbers.

It may be no better than any other dexos Gen 2. Hard to say. As I've said many times before, Mobil and even Castrol were ahead on this as they moved to a Mg/Ca detergent system back in (2012 for Mobil 1). This Modern Syn oil may have something unique about it, but it's hard to know. I will say that I think the Valvoline Instant Oil change places are great. They are very good and thorough. Valvoline is good oil, even it's just on par with the current specs. NOACK could be better, but it's really not an issue for most daily drivers.

Because i support Valvoline for 2 main reasons 1)they invented oil, and have never once maid a poor product, 2) they are a smaller company than some and i hate huge corporations like xom. Also, if Ford and GM both rate all of Valvolines products for 10k mile oil change clocks, than all the "valvoline isnt good for long drains" people are full of [censored]. If its good enough for their warranties it can't be bad.

Back