Valvoline "Modern Engine Synthetic"

Valvoline is obviously not a sponsor on this site and some of the replies make that very clear, don't they?
laugh.gif

I would have no problems using this oil if the price was right. We will have to wait for some analysis reports to see if this is different than their Advanced Synthetic or their old Synpower.

The negativity against Valvoline is just brand fanaticism. Valvoline performs on the same level as every other major brand.

A while back a reporter got this factoid from a Valvoline party in Lexington:

"GDI-optimized oil
Turbo direct-injected engines operate at higher temperatures that can oxidize particles of soot that get into the oil and absorb the additives that prevent wear. Valvoline researchers are finding that replacing calcium-based detergent additives with magnesium-based compounds can prolong oil life in such engines."
at http://www.motortrend.com/news/oily-bits-learned-valvoline-sesquicentennial-technologue/

I've heard Mg-based detergents combat LSPI (part of most dexos1 Gen2 oils now), yet this claim, as vague as the statement is, says Mg does something to keep soot from absorbing additives. This could explain Valvoline Modern Engines claims of LSPI and intake valve deposit reductions anyway. If Mg is the basis for this as it appears, Mobil1 has used Mg for years now, and Pennzoil synthetics have lowered Ca and raised Mg lately too. Others probably as well.

The marketing department really ran with this one if its all just Mg based.

Great information here oil film movies.

I will say this... Oil film movies aka (Pontual) you are very, very smart. And I do mean that seriously. I would just say be careful in not coming across in a condescending way. Again, you add a lot of very good information here.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would have no problems using this oil if the price was right. We will have to wait for some analysis reports to see if this is different than their Advanced Synthetic or their old Synpower.

This

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Oh it's that tricky over-funded Valvoline marketing dept strong-handing us again using their enormous revenues...

I wish they would use some of those funds to update their website.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Oh it's that tricky over-funded Valvoline marketing dept strong-handing us again using their enormous revenues...

I wish they would use some of those funds to update their website.

I agree, the only good motor oil website is Mobil1.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: 69Torino
According to Valvoline's marketing department, it's for cars 2011 and older with less than 75k on them.

Except they're all SN/GF-5 and even dexos1 (where appropriate), so they're really all perfectly fine for brand new cars, too.

I was about to say, marketing at its finest and now we have to learn new labeling from Valvoline a la Castrol some time ago. How do they come up with 2012 and older?

Besides, it is all API Service SN? Who will be the first to use this in a high performance ? car made before 2012?

Originally Posted By: wemay

I agree, the only good motor oil website is Mobil1.

Agree with this as far as the majors go, but I also like the Amsoil site!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I also like the Amsoil site!

This one os the best hands down. They list capacities,etc.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
On another note, this is yet another reason a GM product will never be in my driveway. They have created a world where people think they must buy products that are nearly co-branded to keep their engines from going belly up. This Dexos thing is out of hand in my opinion. If it's that big of a deal then The General should be changing their loyal customers' oil gratis.

Dexos is just a spec. GM used to use GM6094 and GM4871 specs until they made it simpler and just went "Dexos". Mercedes, BMW, Chrysler and others also have a "spec" required for engine oil. With that view, you wouldn't have any vehicles in your driveway.

Looks like a good product. A little late, but better late than never. I don’t know the price but I’d have no issues using this oil. The NOACK of the 5w20 is quite good.

I hate to bring Mobil 1 into this post but as I’ve said before they have always been ahead of the game. They addressed much of these issues back in 2012. It really shows how closely they work with OEMs and how current they keep their formulations.

AP costs as much as it does because it’s a long drain oil that meets the SA of Dexos 2, something the others can’t claim. I suspect it’s a bit challenging and costly to make a 20k mile drain oil that meets that requirement.

Mobil’s response to me back in 2012:

“Thanks for your message, Mike. We appreciate the feedback. A slight reduction in ash is desirable for advanced engine technology such as gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine and passenger car diesel engines. With GDI engines, higher levels of ash appear to result in a higher occurrence of Low Speed Pre-Ignition. The industry is currently developing tests and specifications to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition. In the future, passenger car engine oil specifications such as ILSAC GF-6 and dexos1 (next generation) are likely to have requirements such as lower ash to address Low Speed pre-ignition.”

Originally Posted By: buster

I hate to bring Mobil 1 into this post but as I’ve said before they have always been ahead of the game. They addressed much of these issues back in 2012. It really shows how closely they work with OEMs and how current they keep their formulations.

True statement.

Originally Posted By: ThankYouma
I was about to say, marketing at its finest and now we have to learn new labeling from Valvoline a la Castrol some time ago. How do they come up with 2012 and older?

Besides, it is all API Service SN? Who will be the first to use this in a high performance ? car made before 2012?

Exactly. Either the oil meets the specification you require, or it does not. It is certified, or it is not. What makes one Valvoline 5w-30 in SN/GF-5 and dexos1 more suitable for a brand new GM calling for that, over OEM OCIs?

Now, if they really want to put their money where their mouths are on "2012 and older," yank the API Donut and Starburst, and just claim it's recommended for SN/GF-5, but not certified, and yank the dexos1 certification, just recommended again, maybe drop the price a tiny bit. After all, if it's only for vehicles from 2012 and older, there likely aren't any warranty concerns, now are there? Those who still have such concerns can buy their high end product.

I would trust and believe Valvoline if they said a product for 2012 and older still meets SN/GF-5, though not certified. Don't they have the confidence in their reputation and marketing department? Then again, they caved completely on the SN/GF-5 and dexos1 issue on their high mileage line, so who knows?

I stopped by an autozone just now and took a picture of the back label. This was the “Modern Engine” 0w20:

Back