Valvoline High Mileage vs Valvoline Full Synthetic?

Messages
207
Location
Rhode Island
Thread starter
Why would one go for the maxlife vs the regular full synthetic oil? Is there really a need for high mileage synthetic?

F9EA9434-ECCD-4153-9CB6-4BDF35B2BB85.jpeg


E447ED23-6497-4764-94B4-E04E670CC286.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Messages
660
Location
Albany, NY
Originally Posted by Bettez88
So there is really no point in using high mileage synthetic then is what you're saying
Can you really prove a concrete benefit(not really). There may be more or less of an additive, but its mostly marketing. No manufacturer is suggesting it, and some have extended warranties to 120K. So it is like the engine will go to 350K with the HM and 300K with the synthetic? Even they can't make that claim. One can argue it swells seals a bit but eventually they fail harder (may or may not be true). No different (to me) than saying a laundry detergent gets clothes 49% brighter than the competition. It is more a feel good thing.
 
Last edited:
Messages
4,165
Location
WA
Greater detergency/dispersants Thicker oil to combat blow by More AW additives More seal conditioners Higher TBN, Pennzoil for example has a +9 tbn Esters for cleaning things like the rings and valve guides Low(er) volatility to combat consumption Not every HiMi formula fits this bill so you have to check out the PDS.
 
Last edited:
Messages
640
Location
Colorado
Seals are usually silicone rubber these days, about widespread post-2002 or so, meaning any extra seal conditioners (high mileage oil's main thing) wouldn't have any effect. Viton (flouropolymer), polyacrylate, silicone, or maybe nylon are used for valve stem seals. Oil pan gaskets are silicone usually. I don't think High Mileage really does much any more. Let the oil specs any oil meets tell you how well it will perform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7F9AwUUJVE&vl=en is where they go through some marketing ideas they had back in the 90's, for older cars back then. From the 27.00 point to about 29:10 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw a Vavloline engineer mentions that Valvoline High Mileage oil has extra seal conditioners (the main difference) but it also has a small amount of ashless anti-wear compounds, which I think is meaningless since all synthetic oils that pass dexos1 or VW 508 for example have good anti-wear performance already. She also says there are more dispersants to prevent deposits, but again, WPD limits are dictated by dexos1 or other high syn oil specs already.
 
Messages
340
Location
FL
I have used both. I find less oil loss with the HM. Don,t know if it leaks less or evaporates less or both.
 
Messages
6,392
Location
Wet side WA
Originally Posted by Bettez88
Why would one go for the maxlife vs the regular full synthetic oil? Is there really a need for high mileage synthetic?
Yes I had a need when Pennzoil 5W-20 cost me $4 and change a Jug I figured I needed it. Its in the Corolla now and its seems to be working just fine. 1000 miles so far and the oil level on the dipstick hasn't budged.
 
Messages
4,165
Location
WA
Originally Posted by paoester
Seals are usually silicone rubber these days, about widespread post-2002 or so, meaning any extra seal conditioners (high mileage oil's main thing) wouldn't have any effect. Viton (flouropolymer), polyacrylate, silicone, or maybe nylon are used for valve stem seals. Oil pan gaskets are silicone usually. I don't think High Mileage really does much any more. Let the oil specs any oil meets tell you how well it will perform.
- not every car with an oil leak was made yesterday - are you sure plasticizers don't work on synthetic rubbers like silicone??.. because my bottle of 303 Aerospace Conditioner says it does, weird? - many aftermarket seals/o rings are nitrile/buna rubber
 
Messages
432
Location
CA
IMO valvoline should go the "all mileage route" with their maxlife synblend and full synthetic maxlife. Use "with maxlife technology" and keep the iconic red jug and silver jugs with red trim. Simple product line with an iconic valvoline branding. Mobil 1 should have done the same thing...
 
Messages
386
Location
Kansas
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
MaxLife full synthetic has routinely been the best (according to UOAs here) oil that Valvoline makes, and it won't hurt a non-high mileage engine to use it.
Agreed. I don't use it for the the "proposed high mileage benefits", I like it because of the add pack it has. I have a couple of vehicles that I've used it in since new. VMLFS costs exactly the same as VFS at my local WM, so why not pay the same for the better add pack and perhaps merely possible other benefits...
 
Messages
13,198
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by paoester
Seals are usually silicone rubber these days, about widespread post-2002 or so, meaning any extra seal conditioners (high mileage oil's main thing) wouldn't have any effect. Viton (flouropolymer), polyacrylate, silicone, or maybe nylon are used for valve stem seals. Oil pan gaskets are silicone usually. I don't think High Mileage really does much any more. Let the oil specs any oil meets tell you how well it will perform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7F9AwUUJVE&vl=en is where they go through some marketing ideas they had back in the 90's, for older cars back then. From the 27.00 point to about 29:10 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw a Vavloline engineer mentions that Valvoline High Mileage oil has extra seal conditioners (the main difference) but it also has a small amount of ashless anti-wear compounds, which I think is meaningless since all synthetic oils that pass dexos1 or VW 508 for example have good anti-wear performance already. She also says there are more dispersants to prevent deposits, but again, WPD limits are dictated by dexos1 or other high syn oil specs already.
Once again you put out false info. Why?
 
Messages
124
Location
Florida
Originally Posted by ejes
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
MaxLife full synthetic has routinely been the best (according to UOAs here) oil that Valvoline makes, and it won't hurt a non-high mileage engine to use it.
Agreed. I don't use it for the the "proposed high mileage benefits", I like it because of the add pack it has. I have a couple of vehicles that I've used it in since new. VMLFS costs exactly the same as VFS at my local WM, so why not pay the same for the better add pack and perhaps merely possible other benefits...
That's why I have it in both of my vehicles right now, plus I've always trusted Valvoline.
 
Messages
13,198
Location
Maricopa Arizona
When I bought the motor oil Valvoline was on sale and the synthetic with Maxlife technology was the same price as regular synthetic. So this is what I have. It's a fine PCMO IMHO.
 
Top