Valvoline Full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The V6 has lots of timing chains, and I read that dexos1 Gen2 formulated oils are supposed to be better for reducing timing chain wear too, so if true that's a good thing.

Wonder why your chains were so stretched - what oil were you using? How many miles were on it at that point?

I bought mine last year from the original owner, who was changing the oil at average 22K mile intervals. Toyota records show he brought it to the dealer at 96K miles with the check engine light on, P0016 error code...they quoted him a new engine. He continued running it and changing the oil at long intervals, until he couldn't get it to pass inspection and dumped it on craigslist for cheap.

I opened up the engine this Spring after running through Fall-Winter-Spring on Pennzoil High Mileage or QSUD at short change intervals to gently clean up the sludge, replaced all 3 chains and the guiderails, sprockets, and tensioners with Toyota parts.

Here's a pic of the new Toyota chain hanging alongside the factory chain, showing nearly 1/2 link of elongation at the midpoint:

And here's the factory #1 chain tensioner showing sludge rings that accumlated as the tensioner extended to take up the slack, one ratchet step at a time:

edit: and here's the computer MPG display on I-95 cruise set to 65mph and no AC, gas spiked with with TC-W3 at 640:1. I can not complain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crainholio
With Valvoline High Mileage synthetic 5W-30 now using moly instead of sodium in the D1G2 mix, I snagged 2 5qt jugs for the 4Runner's next 2 oil changes.

You mean calcium and magnesium because sodium was detergent. Not a friction modifier.

Dang, that timing chain stretch is bad. I'd say 22K OCIs took it's toll. The sludge was another product of neglecting oil changes. Sounds like you've rejuvenated it to live out a longer life.

My 05 almost has 50K miles (not a misprint), so its still like new and has been well cared for. Only thing I've had to replace is the battery and that wheel bearing. I bought it new, and will probably keep it forever.

Originally Posted By: crainholio
... I bought mine last year from the original owner, who was changing the oil at average 22K mile intervals. ... He continued running it and changing the oil at long intervals, until he couldn't get it to pass inspection and dumped it on craigslist for cheap.
What about other components of the engine after that abuse? How's the compression, oil consumption, etc. now?

Originally Posted By: dave1251

You mean calcium and magnesium because sodium was detergent. Not a friction modifier.

I stand corrected, thanks. Just nice seeing Valvoline using moly in the new package.

Originally Posted By: CR94
What about other components of the engine after that abuse? How's the compression, oil consumption, etc. now?

The 3 cylinders on the passenger bank held 96-97psig on my leakdown tester at 100psig test pressure. Never got around to testing the driver bank cylinders or doing a compression test.

No oil consumption that I see on the dipstick, but longest OCI thus far was ~3200 miles. Oil level is midway between the add and full marks, right where a 5 quart jug puts it.

Oil pressure idiot light goes out before I take my hand off the key during startup.

Bank 1 intake cam bearing clearances mic'd within shop manual specs when I removed it last year to clean sludge out of the VVT oil passages. Grand-dad was a machinist and I have his precision tools...snap gauges and mics are very handy at times.

Blackstone reports on 2 oil specimens (both posted in the UOA forum here) showed no unusual wear or contamination. I was all set to replace the engine with a salvage one, but couldn't see a reason not to replace the failed timing components in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back