Valvoline Full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I don't like the sodium add pack Valvoline use ... Doesn't tend to play well with an oil analysis from Blackstone as it can appear as a coolant leak .
The sodium has been gone for about a year now. No more sodium in Valvoline. LSPI killed it.

*I stand to be corrected - cool !
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I don't like the sodium add pack Valvoline use ... Doesn't tend to play well with an oil analysis from Blackstone as it can appear as a coolant leak .
The sodium has been gone for about a year now. No more sodium in Valvoline. LSPI killed it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Sunoco must be a east coast thing, I’ve never seen one in my area. Reading on their website I see they had the dial a Matic octane feature on their pumps way back when. We used to have a Hancock station with that similar setup though it was not used at the time. I used that station during the gas rationing period in the 70’s.

A lot of Sunocos in New England used to offer 4 grades of gas maxing out at 94 Octane, but I only see 93 at them now.
Strangely enough, the one time I got to try some 94 up near Montreal my FXT didn't seem to run particularly well...probably just a coincidence.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Sunoco must be a east coast thing, I’ve never seen one in my area. Reading on their website I see they had the dial a Matic octane feature on their pumps way back when. We used to have a Hancock station with that similar setup though it was not used at the time. I used that station during the gas rationing period in the 70’s.

A lot of Sunocos in New England used to offer 4 grades of gas maxing out at 94 Octane, but I only see 93 at them now.
Strangely enough, the one time I got to try some 94 up near Montreal my FXT didn't seem to run particularly well...probably just a coincidence.

Haven't been to Sunoco in 10 years. Last time I fueled there, my GMs both liked 91 octane the most.

We gave some Sunoco stations in & around Tallahassee. They mostly seem to be independents, not “chain” stores.
Valvoline makes great products, I’m planning to use Valvoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife for my next oil change.

With Valvoline High Mileage synthetic 5W-30 now using moly instead of sodium in the D1G2 mix, I snagged 2 5qt jugs for the 4Runner's next 2 oil changes.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've got some Valvoline Advanced FS on deck for an oil change on my 2005 Tacoma V6 that's ran Mobil 1 FS since almost new. Will see if I can tell any difference in engine sound or how it feels when driving.

This oil seems to be very quiet in the 2004 Ranger 4.0L. Cam chains appear happy. Oil does not sheer down quickly like the conventional oils or even the synthetic blends. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
I've got some Valvoline Advanced FS on deck for an oil change on my 2005 Tacoma V6 that's ran Mobil 1 FS since almost new. Will see if I can tell any difference in engine sound or how it feels when driving.

This oil seems to be very quiet in the 2004 Ranger 4.0L. Cam chains appear happy. Oil does not sheer down quickly like the conventional oils or even the synthetic blends. Enjoy.

WellOiled - are you using the latest Valvoline Advanced FS with the dexos1 Gen2 (SN+) rating? My Tacoma V6 had boo-coo timing chains, so will be interesting to see how it sounds with Valvoline FS.

WellOiled - are you using the latest Valvoline Advanced FS with the dexos1 Gen2 (SN+) rating? My Tacoma V6 had boo-coo timing chains, so will be interesting to see how it sounds with Valvoline FS.

I believe it is the new formulation. Oil came in the new packaging. Date code: K1817C5 1024. However, I can not find any mention of SN+ on the label anywhere. I am 3500 miles into the first jug. Things running smooth.
Dexos1 license #D10198GL103 which differs from the PI sheet.

Last edited:
Gotta' use-up the old label jugs first! Do you think the manufacturer and the oil companies just throw the perfectly good and still brand new jugs away, just because they don;t read info that just came out prior?

There's no law that says that oil companies or the jug maker must comply. Sometimes a shift that makes room for new specs on the label allows for old inventory clearances first. Works the same way for most-all retail products on earth, where health hazards are not a concern.

What kind of problem have you had with yours, and did you replace the timing chains?

My '07 4Runner noise turned out to be worn-out serpentine belt idler pulleys, even though the main timing chain was worn and elongated. The nylon guides were found to be in great condition, barely enough wear to catch a fingernail.

With the body of published documentation showing that moly is good for chains, I had avoided Valvoline previously. Good to see them adapting and I'm looking forward to reading about peoples' outcomes with it.

Originally Posted By: crainholio

What kind of problem have you had with yours, and did you replace the timing chains?

My '07 4Runner noise turned out to be worn-out serpentine belt idler pulleys, even though the main timing chain was worn and elongated. The nylon guides were found to be in great condition, barely enough wear to catch a fingernail.

With the body of published documentation showing that moly is good for chains, I had avoided Valvoline previously. Good to see them adapting and I'm looking forward to reading about peoples' outcomes with it.

No problems with my 2005 Tacoma except for the left front wheel bearing going out at 45K miles. The seal was bad, which allowed water into the bearing.

The V6 has lots of timing chains, and I read that dexos1 Gen2 formulated oils are supposed to be better for reducing timing chain wear too, so if true that's a good thing.

Wonder why your chains were so stretched - what oil were you using? How many miles were on it at that point?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Gotta' use-up the old label jugs first! Do you think the manufacturer and the oil companies just throw the perfectly good and still brand new jugs away, just because they don;t read info that just came out prior?

There's no law that says that oil companies or the jug maker must comply. Sometimes a shift that makes room for new specs on the label allows for old inventory clearances first. Works the same way for most-all retail products on earth, where health hazards are not a concern.

I simply answered another member’s question with the information I have available.

I believe it is the new formulation. Oil came in the new packaging. Date code: K1817C5 1024. However, I can not find any mention of SN+ on the label anywhere. I am 3500 miles into the first jug. Things running smooth.

The jugs I have are date code D0518H3 (Apr 5, 2018) and have the same license number as yours. Bottle says dexos1 Gen2, but nothing about SN+, just SN. But I think it being Gen2 makes it SN+. Your date code looks to be Dec 18, 2017. Did your jug say dexos1 Gen2 on the front?

The jugs I have are date code D0518H3 (Apr 5, 2018) and have the same license number as yours. Bottle says dexos1 Gen2, but nothing about SN+, just SN. But I think it being Gen2 makes it SN+. Your date code looks to be Dec 18, 2017. Did your jug say dexos1 Gen2 on the front?

I don’t think SN+ became official until May 1 or around that time. Maybe the oil companies couldn’t print it on the label before that?

There was a period of a few months when Valvoline was using older jugs but had the newer specs. Also the stores had to clear out stock before ordering. I’d suspect the same with all the majors.

Yes, it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back