New F150 5.0 Break-in

Wow
You forwarded a-lot of good, helpful info there...... thanks.

I have UOA's for those first 7 oil changes listed there as well. Interestingly enough, the RL 5w-20 showed the most wear, by far. It was the shortest interval (almost half the others) but when looking at iron and copper per 1000 miles those 2 numbers were considerably higher than the run before and the ones afterwards. Kind of curious what the current 5w-20 will do in my next UOA.

Oh, forgot to mention that this run I'm back to a mopar oil filter whereas the other runs starting from Redline I used Royal Purple or Fram Ultra, though I doubt the oil filter could reduce/eliminate that noise I heard.

I have UOA's for those first 7 oil changes listed there as well. Interestingly enough, the RL 5w-20 showed the most wear, by far. It was the shortest interval (almost half the others) but when looking at iron and copper per 1000 miles those 2 numbers were considerably higher than the run before and the ones afterwards. Kind of curious what the current 5w-20 will do in my next UOA.
So it seems the Red Line Esters quiet the hemi engine, but doesn't improve - not even flat-line engine wear.
So is it fair to say that you picking the basic PCMO from HPL, instead of their multi-synthetic Premiums with more ester, was the correct call?
Did Dave at HPL lean you in this direction?
Thanks.... you're helping me decide which HPL to get for my sewing machine Kia. Saving me money too.
When Subie said a month ago that the cheapest HPL oil is better than anything at Walmart, sounds like he's been doing his HPL Homework.

So it seems the Red Line Esters quiet the hemi engine, but doesn't improve - not even flat-line engine wear.
So is it fair to say that you picking the basic PCMO from HPL, instead of their multi-synthetic Premiums with more ester, was the correct call?
Did Dave at HPL lean you in this direction?
Thanks.... you're helping me decide which HPL to get for my sewing machine Kia. Saving me money too.
When Subie said a month ago that the cheapest HPL oil is better than anything at Walmart, sounds like he's been doing his HPL Homework.

The highest wear I recorded was Redline, but it was also the 5w-20. The other runs of Redline were all XW-30 and those were better and though my latest HPL runs seem to have wear trending down, that would be in line with what we expect as an engine breaks in? So my note there was more about the viscosity (I'm a believer that the 5.7 needs a 30 weight) and less to do with RL itself.

I will also mention that the two HPL runs had higher TBN (8.2, 5.6) vs the Redline runs (3 to 4.9).

I did not talk to Dave. But I did see his reasoning and explanations in a number of other posts here, leading me to choose the cheapest PCMO because my oil change interval is about 7500 miles max and I don't want to run any longer in a hemi (due to that lifter issue that affects a small amount of them). Given the short runs, I'm very comfortable now with the PCMO, but I won't fully make up my mind until this run comes back from Blackstone, "just in case".

Edit: apparently I can't spell today.

What a great truck, I had the pleasure of driving it with my good friend. I went with him for the trip to pick it up and make the long drive home. Not sure if you guys know this, but Ford upgraded the oil pump and piston rings starting in 2021 in relation cylinder deactivation. Also, the belt is kevlar lined and tested up to 1100HP by Ford. He decided to follow the advice of the NASCAR engine builder / tribologist. This guys experience and knowledge makes him the best choice.

Last edited:
Back