Valvetrain sludge: 2007 Toyota 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Might be a light trick but the stuff on that pedestel looks a bit metallic to me.

Camera flash reflection possibly. I examined it at the time and saw no shiny particles, but I'll check it again this weekend along w/ the coffee filter I poured the filter contents thru. I was going to add a FilterMag right after the timing set replacement to help pick up break-in metal anyway, will go ahead and get one ordered ahead of schedule and pop it on.

Not bad. I think it'll be OK with continued cleaning.

Use your best judgement. But, I'd toss a full can of BG109 in for the last 100 miles before the next change, and do that maybe 5 times. Should clean up nicely
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Might be a light trick but the stuff on that pedestel looks a bit metallic to me.

Close examination finds the larger solid sludge particles have a flat, glossy side which reflects light. I scraped a few lines of the canister contents onto a paper towel, and under the fluorescent shop lights, tilting the towel causes them to shine even though they're black. Using a dental pick, the particles break easily into smaller chunks...these crush into powder so they're not pieces of nylon guide.

Here's what poured out of the canister after the cut, strained through a coffee filter:

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Use your best judgement. But, I'd toss a full can of BG109 in for the last 100 miles before the next change, and do that maybe 5 times. Should clean up nicely
smile.gif

I don't disagree about the cleaning effect, but the design of the 1GR-FE oil pan doesn't allow for a complete drain...there's ~2mm of drain plug bung protruding upward, and a stamped mini-sump at the pump pickup...check the video below for the aftermath of a flush with ATF and Seafoam, after he got an oil pressure warning light. Bear in mind he had already removed and cleaned the pan prior to this:

FJ Cruiser Oil Pan Sludge

The full story can be found here: FJ Cruiser Forums: P0016 Error Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back