USPS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JasonC
Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
My postman could be seen on the side of the road parked with his feet up taking a 2 hour nap on a daily basis. When he actually was delivering mail, he'd be speeding down the block as fast as possible throwing mail in mailboxes with a 50% address accuracy rate. Yours doesn't sound that bad actually, especially since its Veterans Day.

If the USPS is made aware of this he will lose his job ASAP.

Maybe with video evidence, but postal workers are just a hard to get rid of as most government workers.
USPS takes this very seriously. They have their own internal investigators who will investigate these claims. During training we were shown pictures from a carrier who would go home everyday and take a 2 hour nap. The carrier even parked their LLV in the driveway, never tried to hide it. He was promptly fired.

Maybe he got caught because I haven't seen him for a month, instead we have a cute latin chick thats a total upgrade
smile.gif

I used to gripe about USPS too, but lately they've been alright.

Reasonable shipping prices. Ahead of schedule deliveries etc. Couldn't ask for anything better.

My local office has odd hours, (ie closed when I come home from work at 3:30) but I am sure it's low volume compared to the next town over. I just stop there now.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Postmasters usually want you back before the outgoing truck leaves for the day which at the office I worked at was around 5:30pm, but there is no official quitting time. FYI, you only get paid for the evaluated time of the route. So if it takes you 10hrs for a 7hr route, you only get the 7hr. Sucks this time of the year with so many packages but works out in the summer when you finish under your evaluated time, yet still get paid the full amount.

I'm pretty sure that is not legal.

It is quite legal. Part of the contract signed by the Union.

Union contracts cannot violate labor laws.

Postmasters usually want you back before the outgoing truck leaves for the day which at the office I worked at was around 5:30pm, but there is no official quitting time. FYI, you only get paid for the evaluated time of the route. So if it takes you 10hrs for a 7hr route, you only get the 7hr. Sucks this time of the year with so many packages but works out in the summer when you finish under your evaluated time, yet still get paid the full amount.

I'm pretty sure that is not legal.

It is quite legal. Part of the contract signed by the Union.

Union contracts cannot violate labor laws.
Well it has always been that way in USPS so if you feel you can change it, have at it.

Do a bit of research on the FLSA and USPS. Postal Service employees are more or less a category of their own and are generally not covered under the FSLA.

I'd be happy if the letter carrier that comes to my home, could just deliver my mail to me. I routinely get other neighbors mail, and vice versa. I often wonder how much of my mail I never see. It shouldn't be that hard. The mail box is out at the road, the address isn't confusing, and the USPS has placed a barcode label with the full address inside the door, that the letter carrier has to scan. In fact the USPS lost a package from Amazon last month. It showed as 'Out For Delivery', and then was never delivered.

UPS, and Fed Ex are both FAR more reliable, IME.

I simply do not see how being forced to work off the clock is legal.

I can't speak for how it's run up here now, but for many years, the routes in Canada could easily be done by a carrier by 10:00 a.m. to noon, far before their normal quitting time, without them having to go back and formally punch out. Many letter carriers had a second full time job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back