Using a bigger filter on multiple applications.

I have a bunch of Fram PH3614/ Supertech 3614 filters because they fit a bunch of my machines. I use one on my Kawasaki engine mower, Briggs engine lawn tractor and Ford Escape. My kids JD Gator XUV has a Briggs VTwin engine in it and specs a Deere AM125424 filter. Thats the same filter that comes on the briggs mowers. I have a recent post showing where they all use louvers for the center tube now and most look pretty bad. I'm thinking about using a Supertech 3614 as the threads and gasket size are the same. It has a slightly higher bypass rating and its about an inch longer which I have room for. I've been doing this for years on my lawn tractor VTwin. Anyone feel like this a bad idea?

Last edited:
It would be something like this.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The power equipment filters are $10-15 depending on which one I buy. The Champ/Fram/ST are $3-4.

Little off topic but I use the Fram 8316 on my Camry with the 2AZ-FE engine. It’s same diameter as 3614/3600

Actually wiped Rural King out on Tough Guard 8316 at $3/filter Saturday. 🙊🙊

OP: I have used the 3614 Fram variant a lot also 👍🍻

I have a bunch of Fram PH3614/ Supertech 3614 filters because they fit a bunch of my machines. I use one on my Kawasaki engine mower, Briggs engine lawn tractor and Ford Escape. My kids JD Gator XUV has a Briggs VTwin engine in it and specs a Deere AM125424 filter. Thats the same filter that comes on the briggs mowers. I have a recent post showing where they all use louvers for the center tube now and most look pretty bad. I'm thinking about using a Supertech 3614 as the threads and gasket size are the same. It has a slightly higher bypass rating and its about an inch longer which I have room for. I've been doing this for years on my lawn tractor VTwin. Anyone feel like this a bad idea?

950 Hours on a Kohler Courage that calls for maybe a 3614 but I have been using a 3600

Worry more about the Oil Level than the Oil Filter being used.

Bigger is better . Will it make a difference during the ownership of our vehicles??? Who knows.

No real down side to using an oversized filter. If there's room, go for it.
The SuperTech filters with the nylon cage center tube flows very well.
The 3600 size may be a problem on zero turns and could interfere with
side panels on many/most yard tractors.

My 2¢

Back