How much “extra” oil to add using larger filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw discussion on here about using a ph3614 instead of a ph8170 for a B&S 44N877 24 hp; but didn’t mention adding extra- Would i, and if so how much extra?

I got plenty of the 3614’s for ford focus
& escape and the close store has no 8170’s

Thanks in advance

Just bring the oil level on the dipstick up to whatever you would otherwise. Start off with you normal amount of oil that you would do with a standard oil change and then check the dipstick level after you run the engine for a moment or two. Then bring it up to whatever level you prefer.

None. A filter holds ounces.

Just bring the oil level on the dipstick up to whatever you would otherwise. Start off with you normal amount of oil that you would do with a standard oil change and then check the dipstick level after you run the engine for a moment or two.
Exactly - it has a dipstick, use it.

Another question is do you screw the dipstick down or not to check the oil level? John Deere says no, just set on the threads.

Thanks for replies, i know the manual says add an extra 4 oz if adding oem filter,
So just wondered if anyone knew
any numbers like that.

2016 intek has been pretty good engine.

As for checking the dipstick (and yes i use it) says turn and tighten to check
Thanks again for the responses

For a rough first estimate, measure the length and diameter of both filters, compute their volumes, and subtract.

There's a dipstick for a reason ...

1689035139474.jpg

Thanks for replies, i know the manual says add an extra 4 oz if adding filter
So just wondered if anyone knew
any numbers like that, 2015 been pretty good motor
And testing oil with the dipstick ( yes i do use it) the manual says the twist and lock to test it
Thanks again

Nobody can give you a definitive answer because nobody knows exactly how much larger the filter is lol. Just add the usual amount first and then see how much more needs to be added after that.

The difference will be less than you would expect. As suggested above add the usual amount then make any tweaks if necessary.

Jumping from a PH16 to a much larger PH8A for example only yields about a 4 oz to 8 oz jump in oil capacity despite the visually significant difference.

On our Odyssey, it's 5.7qts with a filter change or 5.4qts keeping the filter on. So the regular sized filter is gonna drain .3qts. A slightly larger one, you'd be looking at like maybe .1qt extra?

[QUOTE="I On our Odyssey, it's 5.7qts with a filter change or 5.4qts keeping the filter on. So the regular sized filter is gonna drain .3qts. A slightly larger one, you'd be looking at like maybe .1qt extra?
[/QUOTE]
Most of that oil is in the block above the filter, not in the filter itself.

Given that many OPE filters are horizontally mounted; that's not practical here.
Oh but it is. You can easily fill half to thee quarter full the filter or more if you are fast on horizontal installs. Had a Ford Festiva with horizontal filter on the back. Had to do the underhand reach around from top and still could get it on without loosing much oil.

Not sure whats up with you, i guess your just a bored teenager maybe one of those conversion types?

Everyone is trying to tell you to put in the amount of oil that your manual says to then run it for a few minutes. After that recheck the dipstick and add oil until it’s up to the full mark.

For example your motor take five quarts and after the running and sitting period you add another half a quart to bring it up to full. There is your answer.

Everyone is trying to tell you to put in the amount of oil that your manual says to then run it for a few minutes. After that recheck the dipstick and add oil until it’s up to the full mark.

For example your motor take five quarts and after the running and sitting period you add another half a quart to bring it up to full. There is your answer.
Yea and that is what i and i’d say most people do; that is just common sense; i was trying get an idea of how close to full ( and not go over ) and thought be good idea to ask here but some answers are stupid or they think you are.
Thanks to those that gave constructive, informative answers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back