Briggs 492932S - cut open

The Briggs filter off my John Deere zero turn with an Intek engine. 460 hours on the engine with about 40 on the filter.
Not sure who makes the filter and didn't see a date code or country of origin. Looks fine to me, I replaced it with another 492932S. I bought 4 of these filters some years ago for around $5 each and see that Lowes now sells them for $14 each. I've read that people substitute either the --4967 or --3614 filters for these Intek engines and I'll likely do that next time around.

gCnieC5.jpg

Ydeutrr.jpg

pAe5OYu.jpg

JsYeobP.jpg
qhoYDd1.jpg

UgPcLsD.jpg

CizriIj.jpg

26XVr0Y.jpg

The 4967 is not big enough in circumfrence to properly fit the briggs engines. I know because I've already done it. What you want to use is the PL10241 if you want a silicone gasket or L10241 if you want the best efficiency. If you want to run a Fram stick with the TG3614 (not silicon) or the Ultra 3614 (Silicon gasket) part number as it fits the oil filter base correctly. Like I said.. I've been here before on deciding between what part numbers.

Here's the Purolator spec sheets for the filter I mentioned
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ter-specification-sheets.374766/#post-6656203

Last edited:
This is the, incorrect, Fram XG4967 on my Briggs & if you look at the old oil debris on the aluminum base plate you can see where the standard filter should stretch out to. Basically, the filter o-ring seal should go up to the old oil gunk area but not past it. The red mark I drew is where the filter gasket should be. This is my photo I took several years ago to remind myself which filter part number to NOT buy again LOL.
IMG_20200217_120746.jpg

IMG_20200217_120746.jpg

Last edited:
... if you look at the old oil debris on the aluminum base plate you can see where the standard filter should stretch out to. Basically, the filter o-ring seal should go up to the old oil gunk area but not past it.
As long as the base gasket is on the filter seat and seals correctly, it doesn't necessarily have to go all the way out to where the other filter's gasket went. Did the Ultra leak when installed?

As long as the base gasket is on the filter seat and seals correctly, it doesn't necessarily have to go all the way out to where the other filter's gasket went. Did the Ultra leak when installed?
I don't recall it leaking any worse but why have less gasket seating up against the base? The point of the post is to warn others of less sealing gasket touching the housing & increasing the potential for leaks. Sealing correctly would be matching OEM design at a minimum.

I don't recall it leaking any worse but why have less gasket seating up against the base? The point of the post is to warn others of less sealing gasket touching the housing & increasing the potential for leaks. Sealing correctly would be matching OEM design at a minimum.
Was the base gasket 100% in contact with the filter mount surface? If so, then that filter sealed 100%, regardless of how much extra seat room was outside the base gasket diameter.

Was the base gasket 100% in contact with the filter mount surface? If so, then that filter sealed 100%, regardless of how much extra seat room was outside the base gasket diameter.
No, a portion of the inner gasket was not in contact with the mounting surface. I agree with what you're saying above but that was not the case on the Briggs w/that Fram model.

I think I remember the amount of the gasket missing from the outer side was anywhere from 3/16 to maybe 1/4" & that was about how much was not contacting on the inside of the gasket.

Last edited:
No, a portion of the inner gasket was not in contact with the mounting surface. I agree with what you're saying above but that was not the case on the Briggs w/that Fram model.
Yeah, if the gasket surface didn't have 100% contact with the seat, then that's not a good situation. To test, put a thin film of grease on the base gasket and clean the seat, then install the filter until it hits the seat, remove and look at the pattern left on the seat and filter base gasket.

The Briggs filter off my John Deere zero turn with an Intek engine. 460 hours on the engine with about 40 on the filter.
Not sure who makes the filter and didn't see a date code or country of origin. Looks fine to me, I replaced it with another 492932S. I bought 4 of these filters some years ago for around $5 each and see that Lowes now sells them for $14 each. I've read that people substitute either the --4967 or --3614 filters for these Intek engines and I'll likely do that next time around.

gCnieC5.jpg

Ydeutrr.jpg

pAe5OYu.jpg

JsYeobP.jpg
qhoYDd1.jpg

UgPcLsD.jpg

CizriIj.jpg

26XVr0Y.jpg
Good looking filter thanks for sharing. Love the marketing sticker on the can lol. If air cooled engines get that hot, why no silicone gasket and adbv? 🙄

Yeah, if the gasket surface didn't have 100% contact with the seat, then that's not a good situation. To test, put a thin film of grease on the base gasket and clean the seat, then install the filter until it hits the seat, remove and look at the pattern left on the seat and filter base gasket.
Simple resolution for me was to buy a correct fitting filter, which I did, & I'll never buy that Fram 4967 again. I used a measuring tape to determine how much wasn't sealing on the base.

Interesting, in the past, the Briggs branded filters seemed to be Champ Labs products.
This has the appearance of the Premium Guard construction.
Either way, appears to be a well made filter!

From what I have seen the filters with that style of crimp are imported from vietnam or China.

Interesting, in the past, the Briggs branded filters seemed to be Champ Labs products.
This has the appearance of the Premium Guard construction.
Either way, appears to be a well made filter!
When I looked at the packaging about a year ago it said it was made in China.

Back