US made pullers

JHZR2

Staff member
I have a smaller otc two jaw, but it’s not big enough to get a LCA bushing out.

IMG_1033.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg

Most every one that has an inkling of being domestically made has conflicting details of being from Taiwan or China.

Are there any that are still actually usa made? Believe my current otc one is, but they don’t seem to be any more. Maybe Proto? Or K tools international?

A BJP1 may do that and AFAIK they're built in the US. The SnapOn website typically lists COO

Will an air hammer drive it out? That's typically how leaf spring bushings are dealt with

A BJP1 may do that and AFAIK they're built in the US. The SnapOn website typically lists COO

Will an air hammer drive it out? That's typically how leaf spring bushings are dealt with
I was thinking air hammer as well, with a bit of penetrating oil prior to hammering.

Hadn’t thought of an air hammer. I had tried a real
Hammer but didn’t have much luck because the rubber absorbs a lot of force.

The clamp style can’t get under the opposing side so it has no base. The tool I have which works well as a press, is supposed to slide in under one side and act as a base, but it’s too big for the diameter of my LCA.

IMG_1035.jpeg
IMG_1030.jpeg

The second pic shows that the tool gets too crooked without the plate.

Here is how it’s supposed to work:

IMG_1042.jpeg
IMG_1043.jpeg

The OD of my LCA (W126) is less than the OD of the w140 unit, which is why it doesn’t fit. The plate and cap makes a larger bore that the bushing presses out and into.

I've used my OTC set quite a bit with success but that bushing looks huge. What is it for?

Proto is likely usa still, same with posi lock. OTC is a mixed bag
IIRC some Proto is now Mexico, and believe it or not, sometimes rebadged Urrea:

OT: Mechanical work with a ring on? No. JMO and the USAF's.

"One in a million events happen a lot" will millions of maintenance activities being done. Just want BITOGrs to be safe as possible.
Good observation! That photo was taken at home, after all the work. I brought the LCA back home with me to work on it more…

Smart advice for sure!

So you need a 012k equivalent with a smaller ID, is that correct?
Correct. I don’t have the setup to machine something smaller. Id love long term to get something made because the same size LCA bushings are used in four of my MB cars….

To me, it looks like a torch and a press should get that out.
like the tools to machine a smaller adapter, I also don’t have a torch or press… A press may be something to ask Santa for…

And the 012k splits/clamshells?

If you're gonna insist on a US press you better be sitting down ;) The HF 20T is usually the best value

Correct. I don’t have the setup to machine something smaller. Id love long term to get something made because the same size LCA bushings are used in four of my MB cars….

like the tools to machine a smaller adapter, I also don’t have a torch or press… A press may be something to ask Santa for…
A propane torch should do. I have the 12 ton HF press, i should have gotten the 20. The 12 ton has struggled to press out overheated wheel bearings.

Reactions: JC1
take it to a local machine job shop, they will have the press or puller needed for the situation

I've used my OTC set quite a bit with success but that bushing looks huge. What is it for?
Actually if I had thought about it when working on it last night, I’d have used my otc 7503. That probably would have done it.

I’d prefer to pull the bushing than burn it and be exposed to more burning rubber fumes. Enough of those are made when grinding/cutting off the first end.

Reactions: JC1
Back