Upgraded my Scan Tool

My MS906BT was getting a bit old and a relative made me a great offer, so it is gone.

I replaced it with a MS906 Pro. This one is wicked fast in comparison. Auto ID works in seconds, auto scans complete on simpler cars in under 30 seconds. Supposedly the coding capabilities on Euro have improved, hence the more expensive updates. It also support the new CanFD and DoIP protocols.

IMG_7527.jpeg

Nice. That should work well. I recently bought an Otofix D1 which is the first Autel based scanner I have used or owned. It takes a little bit getting used to compared to my Launch based Thinktool Pros I own.

How much are yearly updates for that one?

How much are yearly updates for that one?
$495, but it includes warranty for the unit.

Unless you have newer FCA vehicles requiring Autoauth, need to do online European coding or have a 23+ vehicle, you do not need to update it.

Unless you have newer FCA vehicles requiring Autoauth, need to do online European coding or have a 23+ vehicle, you do not need to update it.
That is not too bad. I was able to update my Thinktool Pros for $299 back in October. I do the updates just because they update a lot of the current bi-directional functions outside of the individual car brands.

My Otofix updates pretty regularly but just updates car brands and not individual functions.

I updated mine all the time - if you read the update descriptions there are usually good reasons to update all the OEMs that you can especially at the renewal rate. I never updated my 906 after expiring last Dec--- just bought another one because having 2 in the shop was a good thing to have.

I updated mine all the time - if you read the update descriptions there are usually good reasons to update all the OEMs that you can especially at the renewal rate. I never updated my 906 after expiring last Dec--- just bought another one because having 2 in the shop was a good thing to have.
It’s usually “bug improvements.”
If the software is working fine I do not see an urgent need to update.

I picked up the Otofix D1 Pro in Dec, it was $749 with a $150 off sale and best offer, I offered $550 all in and they accepted. It is basically a MS906 BT with a 10" screen, bigger battery, 8 core processor vs 6, the hardware is a serious upgrade. 2 year free updates then $199 a year and a 5 year warranty.
I have OE stuff for BMW, VW, MB, GM Tech 2 and MDI with online access but this Otofix is quick and easy with no laptop and cables to mess with. Euro coverage and bidirectional function are very good.

We have a new ADAS IA900 calibration and aligner at the shop, comes with the Ultra ADAS tablet. It’s fast and does a lot of stuff but some of the calibration procedures are a bit cantankerous. That’s a nice tool for 500.00.

Last edited:
Otofix is an Autel knockoff that supposedly runs on Autel software.

The irony. 😂
It is not a knockoff, it is made by Autel and runs the exact same software. I was looking at the Autel and Otofix and found the Otofix in this mid level tool to have better hardware like a Snapdragon 660 8 core processor (the Autel branded uses a Samsung Exynos 5260) with a larger 10.1 inch screen and runs the same software for less money. It has all the same versions of the Autel software the Autel branded tools have and logs into Autel for updates, if it was a knockoff Autel would not allow it to use their updates or put their brand on it.
I did a deep dive into these machines and it seems the Otofix is a better tool at a lower price and cheaper updates from Autel. Just a processor comparison..

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

I picked up the Otofix D1 Pro in Dec, it was $749 with a $150 off sale and best offer, I offered $550 all in and they accepted. It is basically a MS906 BT with a 10" screen, bigger battery, 8 core processor vs 6, the hardware is a serious upgrade. 2 year free updates then $199 a year and a 5 year warranty.
I have OE stuff for BMW, VW, MB, GM Tech 2 and MDI with online access but this Otofix is quick and easy with no laptop and cables to mess with. Euro coverage and bidirectional function are very good.

I'm surprised that your Otofix D1 Pro has cheaper updates than my Otofix D1. On my tool it says updates are $215 a year after my 2 years of free updates.

I'm surprised that your Otofix D1 Pro has cheaper updates than my Otofix D1. On my tool it says updates are $215 a year after my 2 years of free updates.
Prices are all over the place with these tools, mine said $299 after 2 years free but if you around you can find it cheaper. I could have bought the D1 Max for $600 but it offers nothing more than the Pro that I don't already have covered with OE tools.
Just an example for the Pro and DI

Can I ask you professional Autel users with expired free update periods....................

Do you guys also find the Autel bunch lying to you about the tool still "operating as before" after the free update period expired?

I have an MP808Pro that has been running without an update now for more than a year (seen no need to till now like others commented) .................

Recently discovered that the security gateway on eg Volvo X90 from 2016 + prevents the tool from even identifying the vehicle/VIN - you need an active "subscription" from Autel to now use it for this particular model ................. thus tool I thought would operate as before no longer does so 100% on all vehicle models after free updates expired

So is this included in a period of software updates when I now buy that?

Prices are all over the place with these tools, mine said $299 after 2 years free but if you around you can find it cheaper. I could have bought the D1 Max for $600 but it offers nothing more than the Pro that I don't already have covered with OE tools.

Well, that is definitely cheaper than my tool says. I just got the tool so I still have a ways to go before I have to update it.

Yes I noticed that. One more thing to ponder is my Autel Maxicom Mk808bt Pro is cheaper than OTOFIX D1 as well as the updates. The only difference is the camera and a speaker with the Pro getting a stand. The software is the same, however, you do need an updated Dongle for 2020 FD protocol which is GM and a few others which is 99.00 for the 808 series. According to what I read Autel updates the Otofix less frequently. My yearly update is 150.00. The Autel can use the scope and Battery tester as well. I pulled up software for vehicles and both have same bidirectional controls and resets.

Back