Updating Garmin GPS with Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) That's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.
2) That's a strange one. Will it charge when you're just running in Mint? Or it won't charge at all on any Mint laptops? I can understand having difficulty in forcing an update through on the Mint side, but the charging problem is strange.
3) May depend on 1).
4) I'd follow rubberchicken's recommendation on that one. At worst, that can be addressed down the road.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Not a quitter by nature. I'm a little PO'ed at myself for writing that I was giving up (more like plain frustration). After that post, I spent numerous hours web surfing and watching Youtube videos. I realized that since I downloaded the ISO file and it was in my downloads folder, I could choose that location to run it from via the storage option under settings. I actually progressed to a point where Windows actually started to load. Problem is that it would go through the motions and then somewhere along the way I'd get an "oops, something went wrong" message and then it would stop. I tried three different times and all ended the same way. It would never tell me what the problem was. So, some questions:

1) Do you think it could be a bad ISO download?

2) My Garmin won't charge via the USB cable it came with either of my Linux Mint laptops but fully charged with my neighbors Windows laptop (I took Garak's advice and was able to accomplish the registration and downloads). The USB ports work fine when working in Linux Mint. My concern is if I can get Windows working properly in Virtualbox, will I still have issues trying to use a USB port for future updates.

3) Was it a fluke or will the Windows ISO file in my download's folder be OK going forward?

4) The first time Windows was going through the install process it came to a point where it asked for a license key. I just typed the one in that was on the bottom of the laptop. It didn't let me go any further after doing that. So, I started the process over and at that point I chose the "I don't have a license key" option and I was able to move forward. Then it came to a screen where I could chose a standard install, or a custom install. I chose the standard one the first time and it stopped cold and would not let go forward. The next try, I chose custom installation and that's when it seemed I was really making progress until the before-mentioned "oops" message appeared. Can someone help me understand, If I can get Windows to load correctly, how I'm going to satisfy the requirement for needing a license key for validation since it didn't like the one pasted on the bottom of the laptop.

Sorry for the wordiness. If my ramblings are confusing, please ask for clarification. I would really consider this a major accomplishment, especially for me, getting this process to work. Took me two weeks to get Linux Mint installed but I have never regretted it. That should tell you my level of tech knowledge. As always, thank you for your patience and guidance.

You grab the 32-bit or 64-bit ISO? Whichever you grabbed, grab the other and try it.

Overkill,

I have an AMD A6 processor. I believe that's 64 bit so I chose that option. I was able to load Windows via the ISO file. It took me through the install process so I thought I would be good. Well, it starts something called "Cortana". I thinks it's some program to help you get set up with a voice leading you along the way. Unfortunately, this is where it comes to a stand still and I get the error message that something went wrong. It never says what it is. I've tried four different times to get past this obstacle but it does the same thing every time. It starts to act like everything is fine and then gets in a mode where it's trying to do something (I'm assuming what it's supposed to do) and after a few minutes (maybe 3-4 minutes) the "Something Went Wrong, Try Again" message pops up. I get an option to bypass this process until later, so I choose it, but it still does the same exact thing. So trying again, or bypassing until later, gets the same result. So I'm not sure what else I can do if I can't get past this. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm happy I made it this far and would hate to abandon my quest but I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do at this point.

Overkill,

I have an AMD A6 processor. I believe that's 64 bit so I chose that option. I was able to load Windows via the ISO file. It took me through the install process so I thought I would be good. Well, it starts something called "Cortana". I thinks it's some program to help you get set up with a voice leading you along the way. Unfortunately, this is where it comes to a stand still and I get the error message that something went wrong. It never says what it is. I've tried four different times to get past this obstacle but it does the same thing every time. It starts to act like everything is fine and then gets in a mode where it's trying to do something (I'm assuming what it's supposed to do) and after a few minutes (maybe 3-4 minutes) the "Something Went Wrong, Try Again" message pops up. I get an option to bypass this process until later, so I choose it, but it still does the same exact thing. So trying again, or bypassing until later, gets the same result. So I'm not sure what else I can do if I can't get past this. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm happy I made it this far and would hate to abandon my quest but I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do at this point.

That system will still run the 32-bit binaries just fine, so I'd try with that ISO first in case it's just a quirk with VirtualBox and the one you have.

If you dont want to try a different ISO, build a dead simple VM. No network, no sound, no 2d or 3d video accel, etc.

See if you can lay down windows on a bare bones machine.

If you can, you can take a snapshot and then start adding more hardware, like the network, etc.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
You grab the 32-bit or 64-bit ISO? Whichever you grabbed, grab the other and try it.

Good catch, even with 64-bit hardware and 64-bit Linux kernels, it might not be liking something. We could always try dual boot, but I don't want any letter bombs sent to me when that goes south.
wink.gif

Ok. Thanks. I didn't know I could try the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine. I'll give it a try.

Follow up question: assuming I get this to work, how do I get past the need for a Windows license key. I believe someone said I'd be good for thirty days. Then what? Is the license key on the bottom of this laptop going to work? Both of my existing laptops have been wiped clean of Windows with only Linux Mint on them now.

I am running Windows 10 in a Vmware virtual machine (Debian Linux host) with no license key. Microsoft does not put a time limit on operating system. Mine has been up for over a year, gets all the updates, no problems at all.

What version of windows is the key on the bottom of the laptop for? If it is 7, it should work.

It's Windows 7 Home Edition. I tried the 32 bit version after my last post. Got the same outcome. So, the last thing I'm going to try before abandoning this endeavor is to retry everything I've done with this laptop (Acer) on my other laptop (HP) and hope this is the difference maker.

Originally Posted by terry274
I am running Windows 10 in a Vmware virtual machine (Debian Linux host) with no license key. Microsoft does not put a time limit on operating system. Mine has been up for over a year, gets all the updates, no problems at all.

If I can get this to work, that's what I am hoping for as well. When you run Windows, does everything work like a regular windows 10 machine? USB ports, WiFi, etc... Thanks.

And, a shout out to member 97Prizm for PM'ing me on this subject. Much appreciated.

If I can get this to work, that's what I am hoping for as well. When you run Windows, does everything work like a regular windows 10 machine? USB ports, WiFi, etc... Thanks.

The hardware is virtualized, so you don't usually have the actual network interface, but a virtual interface presented by the VM.

If the host is networked via WiFi, you want to configure the interface using NAT, not bridged. Both machines cannot run the radio of a WiFi interface, so it should be presented to the VM as an Ethernet port. I think I present an Intel Gigabit Ethernet to the VM. Also, since I do this on a laptop,it may be on WiFi in one location and on the copper Ethernet in another, so it doesn't make sense for me to bridge to a specific interface. The VM always sees the Intel Ethernet regardless how the host machine actually gets on the network. VirtualBox takes care of translating whatever is going on in the host to something the VM can use.

USB devices are presented based on the USB portion of the devices drop down menu. By default, a USB device is NOT presented to the VM. The host probably has the device. You must tell the host to stop using it and then present the device to the VM via the VM settings.

Originally Posted by javacontour

The hardware is virtualized, so you don't usually have the actual network interface, but a virtual interface presented by the VM.

If the host is networked via WiFi, you want to configure the interface using NAT, not bridged. Both machines cannot run the radio of a WiFi interface, so it should be presented to the VM as an Ethernet port. I think I present an Intel Gigabit Ethernet to the VM. Also, since I do this on a laptop,it may be on WiFi in one location and on the copper Ethernet in another, so it doesn't make sense for me to bridge to a specific interface. The VM always sees the Intel Ethernet regardless how the host machine actually gets on the network. VirtualBox takes care of translating whatever is going on in the host to something the VM can use.

USB devices are presented based on the USB portion of the devices drop down menu. By default, a USB device is NOT presented to the VM. The host probably has the device. You must tell the host to stop using it and then present the device to the VM via the VM settings.

Bridging is fine, it doesn't try to share the physical adapter, it just forgoes the NAT route and tries to grab an IP directly through the virtual adapter, which is bridged via software with the physical adapter. The virtual (bridged) adapter will still present as an Ethernet interface, regardless of the interface it is bridged to. For example, on my MBP, I have it currently bridged with my WiFi adapter, but I can readily switch it to my USB Ethernet adapter when it is connected.

What version of windows is the key on the bottom of the laptop for? If it is 7, it should work.

It's Windows 7 Home Edition. I tried the 32 bit version after my last post. Got the same outcome. So, the last thing I'm going to try before abandoning this endeavor is to retry everything I've done with this laptop (Acer) on my other laptop (HP) and hope this is the difference maker.

Originally Posted by terry274

And, a shout out to member 97Prizm for PM'ing me on this subject. Much appreciated.

That key should work with 10.

As javacontour noted, you have to manually expose physical USB devices to the VM. By default, it uses its own suite of virtual hardware/interfaces, so if you want to directly connect a device to it, you have to select that device and choose that option. It's not a difficult process however.

I've not had good luck trying to bridge WiFi connections. But to be honest, I've not tried it with my last two laptops, so certainly 3-4 years ago if not more.

I did have a Toshiba Tecra M5 the last time I tried that sort of thing, so it may work better now.

At least for how I use my laptop, NAT is the best as it works regardless which interface I'm using, as long as I'm only using one of them.

It does get a tad more complex if I'm using both. But usually, if I'm using both, the copper Ethernet is configuring servers and switches and what not for installations, while the WiFi is my connection to the Interwebs.

Then, to make things more complex, the VM is often on a VPN while the host isn't.

What a complex world we inhabit.

Bridging is fine, it doesn't try to share the physical adapter, it just forgoes the NAT route and tries to grab an IP directly through the virtual adapter, which is bridged via software with the physical adapter. The virtual (bridged) adapter will still present as an Ethernet interface, regardless of the interface it is bridged to. For example, on my MBP, I have it currently bridged with my WiFi adapter, but I can readily switch it to my USB Ethernet adapter when it is connected.

I've not had good luck trying to bridge WiFi connections. But to be honest, I've not tried it with my last two laptops, so certainly 3-4 years ago if not more.

I did have a Toshiba Tecra M5 the last time I tried that sort of thing, so it may work better now.

At least for how I use my laptop, NAT is the best as it works regardless which interface I'm using, as long as I'm only using one of them.

It does get a tad more complex if I'm using both. But usually, if I'm using both, the copper Ethernet is configuring servers and switches and what not for installations, while the WiFi is my connection to the Interwebs.

Then, to make things more complex, the VM is often on a VPN while the host isn't.

What a complex world we inhabit.

What usually causes that is a MAC address security feature in the equipment you are connecting to that only allows for one IP per MAC, this is common with Cisco switches on the Ethernet side, as one of Cisco's default Macros enables that and only one MAC per port
lol.gif
Because what you are essentially doing is creating a software "hub" behind a single MAC, this can cause issues in that scenario. With NAT, because there remains only one LAN-facing IP address and the masquerading takes place behind it, it will work in that setup.

This usually isn't an issue on home or SMB gear, but can be on enterprise.

Or the WiFi driver on the host OS doesn't allow it. Some drivers didn't allow the interface to be presented in a fashion where it could be bridged.

If the adapter driver doesn't support multiple MAC addresses you cannot use it as a bridged interface.

If the host is networked via WiFi, you want to configure the interface using NAT, not bridged. Both machines cannot run the radio of a WiFi interface, so it should be presented to the VM as an Ethernet port....

All this is why I prefer to run dual boot instead; I'm much more confident with wrestling with the OSes and their specific installs and quirks than networking or hardware issues, which I hate.
wink.gif

Or the WiFi driver on the host OS doesn't allow it. Some drivers didn't allow the interface to be presented in a fashion where it could be bridged.

If the adapter driver doesn't support multiple MAC addresses you cannot use it as a bridged interface.

I hadn't run into that with Windows or OS X as the host, where I've almost always used bridging unless I couldn't due to the other reasons mentioned. What platform did you run into it on?

I hadn't run into that with Windows or OS X as the host, where I've almost always used bridging unless I couldn't due to the other reasons mentioned. What platform did you run into it on?

I tried Windows 7 by then. I probably tried Oracle Linux as well. By then, I had given up on Solaris X86 as my desktop OS and was trying to run it in a VM. I ran into some strange behavior where Solaris would "fail" CPU cores when running VirtualBox and the machine would get really slow. Never found out why. Just became the last straw and moved me off of it as a desktop OS.

Seems success depended on how the WLAN driver was written. If it strictly followed the standard, bridging wouldn't work if I remember my research.

It's been a minute since I've tried that. Today, I just use NAT as it just works and tends to find the interface I'm using for network access.

Well, I've got good news, and bad news. I spent the time replicating my failed efforts on the Acer onto the HP. Although a painfully slow process, I actually made it through the Windows install process and ended up with a usable version of Windows 10.
banana2.gif
Excited, and with a sense of accomplishment, I wanted to try and connect our new Garmin GPS unit to see if the "Garmin Express" software needed for updates would download and work. The software downloaded fine and opened up when selected. I hooked our unit up, and nothing happened. When my neighbor helped me out this past Sunday, as soon as it was hooked up via a USB port with the software running, it was recognized almost immediately and the updates began automatically. This is what I was hoping. And it didn't happen. For some reason either Windows, or Virtualbox, is not seeing/connecting with my USB port/s. I will need for this to happen as it's the only way to get our updates.

I read all of the posts that followed my last one. I get the feeling you are actually addressing my problem but I'm not sure what you're saying. That's my problem, not yours. So, having said that, with your knowledge and expertise, is there a simple fix for allowing Windows 10 via Virtualbox to recognize and make functional my USB ports. Running Windows In Virtualbox, it sees the virtual 50GB disk that was made during the installation of Virtualbox, and also sees the machine's CD drive. Just no USB ports. I don't understand why it would see the CD drive and not the USB ports.
21.gif
I would hate to get this far along in my quest, only to be thwarted by something that might be a simple fix with some guidance. Could it just be the need to make a simple settings change? Thanks for getting me this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back