Unreliable Toyota. Help.

Another $1k later, and Tundra finally runs like it should.
Initially bought the $500 Gen 2 bypass kit from Hewitt Technologies. Pretty easy install, took all of 30 mins. Was fine for less than 48hrs, and then limp mode came back.
Unfortunately it wouldn't "talk" the same language with the aftermarket SAI valves that were installed. So spent another $500 on 2 pressure sensors from Hewitt. Now all works like it should.
For now left the (now inactive) valves on there, but eventually will remove that whole SAI system. Weight reduction lol.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post the follow up..very helpful information.

I put the Hewitt bypass on my 2010 Sequoia 5.7 about 3 years ago. I left all the sais parts on the vehicle. Absolutely zero negative effects. You did the right thing.

Reactions: GON
Good bye original 2011 steelies with worn tires.
IMG-20231125-WA0006.jpg

Hello 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser wheels with new tires.
IMG-20231125-WA0005.jpg

Yup, some Mobil1 0W-40 in that 4.6L V8. I have driven a 5.7L V8 Tundra in the past (also double cab and RWD, but white), and I'll take this small V8 over its larger sibling any day.

Last edited:
I'm curious what would cause the stalling? I had heard of this problem before but I was under the impression it would only cause a check engine light?

Never repair a Toyota with anything but OEM parts. It’ll cost you in the long run. The only non-OEM parts should be high-quality purposeful modifications you’re willing to manage yourself.

Never repair a Toyota with anything but OEM parts. It’ll cost you in the long run. The only non-OEM parts should be high-quality purposeful modifications you’re willing to manage yourself.
So far so good. Truck delivers all of its power, at correct fuel efficiency, while staying smooth and not throwing any CEL codes. Will update if anything happens.

I'm curious what would cause the stalling? I had heard of this problem before but I was under the impression it would only cause a check engine light?
Once CEL came on - truck went into limp mode. Somehow while in limp mode - it was just getting worse and worse in drivability, to the point of stalling. But once CEL is cleared - it's instantly back to normal, for a day.
Thankfully since the Hewitt Technology kit took over - zero issues and truck continues to serve the daily duty.

All you need is a repair. It still runs. It hasn't broken down.

It's a 12 year old truck - it's not unreliable.
It’s the Toyota curse. Enjoy a fully functional drivetrain but deal with annoying and frequent repairs as everything else wears out.

The dilemma is whether the inconvenience of 2-3 repairs per year outweighs the benefit of what’s likely no car payment and a good chance the drivetrain will last longer than the owners patience.

It’s the Toyota curse. Enjoy a fully functional drivetrain but deal with annoying and frequent repairs as everything else wears out.

The dilemma is whether the inconvenience of 2-3 repairs per year outweighs the benefit of what’s likely no car payment and a good chance the drivetrain will last longer than the owners patience.
This is the same curse as my 2005 Silverado, however the 2-3 repairs per year are mostly fix it when I get to it repairs.....like blower motor resistor, gauge cluster, oil pressure sending unit...etc.
Last year the 2 required repairs were water pump and starter. Starter was original at 220k miles and water pump was the second one to fail.
The year before that, no required repairs.

Back