United and Eve Air announce electric air taxi service for San Francisco area expected to start in 2026

United_eVTOL_2023.png

All things considered, it's a safe bet that this concept will not be flying in 2026, much less carrying passengers.
Maybe not even in 2036, although the connection with an actual manufacturer, Embraer, probably makes this project more likely to ultimately bear fruit that most EVTOL concepts.
Looked at another way, if it were easy Tesla would already be making one.

Urban air mobility holds a lot of promise - much like helicopter service in New York decades ago.

Getting people from their location to the airport directly, quickly, and avoiding traffic is attractive to a lot of passengers.

As a little kid - I flew from the Pan Am building in Manhattan to Newark airport in a few minutes. That’s several times faster than any other option. Particularly today.

There was a helicopter shuttle service in the Bay Area in the 70’s. It was a larger helicopter and it flew between SFO and OAK on a regular schedule.

In the 1960s there was a helo service from Oakland international to San Francisco. The electric helo is if ever becomes real should be quiet being more drone like than todays helos

There was a helicopter shuttle service in the Bay Area in the 70’s. It was a larger helicopter and it flew between SFO and OAK on a regular schedule.

More than just that. Apparently they flew to several airports and other sites like the Berkeley Marina and near the San Francisco Ferry Building. And aerial tourist service on weekends.

SFObee_%285075312899%29.jpg

1024px-SFO_Helicopters_Airlines_S-61L_N4606G.jpg

United used to fly SFO-OAK.

The FAA certification standards for powered lift have changed. I'm guessing they will change again too.

A helicopter can autorotate. A typical electric octo prop lifting platform cannot, and plummets wildly out of control when the blades stop. A helicopter can also meet IFR and VFR fuel reserves. Can any electrically driven aircraft can meet IFR reserves?

What makes this "Osprey light" feasible? Realistically, is this being done so the rich can avoid sitting in traffic from SFO to DTSF?

This is kind of not novel. Helicopter taxis aren't new so I don't see this being awesome inspiring, unless you're Greta Thundberg. More people will air taxi if it's green or just don't care? I think the latter.

I mean sure, let the free market develop this but I don't see a niche for this that will have people flocking for an airborne e-ride.

The FAA certification standards for powered lift have changed. I'm guessing they will change again too.

A helicopter can autorotate. A typical electric octo prop lifting platform cannot, and plummets wildly out of control when the blades stop. A helicopter can also meet IFR and VFR fuel reserves. Can any electrically driven aircraft can meet IFR reserves?

I recall the proposed electric plane that DHL ordered has a backup turbine generator.

Delta is working with Joby Aviation. They had test flights well before Eve Aviation announced their deal with United.

Back