Under valvcover: '99 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DGXR
I miss cam timing gears like that setup. Nowadays they are all chains.

There is a belt up to one of the cams. The gears are for making both cams turn.

I had a 89 Camry with the 3S-FE. There was a oil seal under the timing cover somewhere that let go on me, dropped a lot of oil quick. I ended up selling the car, and I think the timing belt broke on the way home account getting oil fouled. I would have liked to keep the car, but it had too much rust. For whatever reason, the cooling fans were always running when the engine was on. Might have kept it running better, didn't get as hot.

Originally Posted by supton

[Linked Image]

Is it just me or are the front cam valve clearances way off? Shouldn't the lobes be shiny silver like the other cam?

I'm not sure--IIRC this is not a hydraulic lifter, but "mechanical" and thus the clearance it has means the base of the lobe shouldn't be getting contact, or minimal at that.

I suspect I need to give in and "run the valves" to see what they are at. Not sure I really want to as I might find some out of spec and then have to fix it! It's not hard work but I don't have a stack of shims to play musical shim with.

Originally Posted by Ohle_Manezzini
Changi g oil won't take that sludge and varnish out. You need Hyper flush Koubeto make that aluminum shine out again.

This engine is not sludged-up. It has some varnish in it, but this is perfectly normal for a car it's age and won't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back