2002 LS1 and AT 205 Question

2002 Trans am
LS1, 6 Speed
216,200KM
When I got the car, had massive oil leaks under neath car.
I changed :
-Valley Cover Gasket
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Oil Pressure Switch
-Cam Sensor O-ring
-Oil Filter bypass housing seal
-PCV updated T and hose set
-Retorqued all oil pan bolts in sequence to spec
-Used Permatex "spray seal" for a small "sweat" that was coming from passenger side of rear cover to oil pan (had clutch done before I got it and looks like something knicked the gasket" - this has 100% sealed that small leak
What I will have is a small amount of oil that appears to come out of the open trans/bellhousing bolt that goes into oil pan on driver side and sweats down onto driverside corner of pan.
I will brake clean this off, and it may come back in 70km but sometimes takes 400km to "sweat" back onto that corner.

I suspect a small oil pan/rear cover/ RMS sweat.

I don’t really warrant it to be enough to pull the Trans. I’ve throughly cleaned the area with brake clean during storage. I was debating adding AT-205 when I take it out for next season… I’ve read mostly good and this is a small leak - is this stuff comparable with a 02 LS1 seal types, any thoughts,

Photo 1 attached shows it after around 300km.

Photo 2 shows how it was when I got it! I’ve reduced it a ton and thought it was old oil trapped in bellhousing - but I’ve cleaned and cleaned and it slowly comes back so I suspect it is active.

Photo 3 shows it after a can of brake clean into the little air gap hole trying to flush it all out - kept oozing out dirty/oil looking stuff after it would sit - it is now clean with no residue coming out and is how it sits now.

Attachments

• IMG_9229.jpeg
    IMG_9229.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9230.jpeg
    IMG_9230.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9232.jpeg
    IMG_9232.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
RMS weeping? Unless it’s marking it’s spot I’d leave it alone. At your mileage I would try a HM oil. I’ve used Valvoline Maxlife HM 10w30 in my 242,000 mile LS since about 190,000 miles. So far it’s dry as a bone.

Automatic or 6 speed? Like gman said try a high mileage oil.
What was the life of the car like before? I have never had an oil leak on mine.

Probably not, i used a bottle of bars oil stop leak to fix a rear main seal leak once and it worked. I don't like coolant stop leak (horrible mess it makes) but oil stop leak worked the one time I used it.

Back