Ummmn....fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's literally nothing holding the soil together here...people report in other parts of the gosper fire rocks at 500C a couple hours after the fire went through.

We need rain,light rain, for a week...about a decade ago, we had hard rain after one of these, and it caused disaster.

The NSW - RFS deputy commissioner, Rob Rogers, says there is a long way to go

There is an enormous amount of fire in that part of the world and these aren't going to go out for some time and we have been dealing with these fires non-stop now for more than five months and I can't see that changing, certainly over the next month, so it does make you think of, you know, six months of constantly dealing with fires and just where that will end.

Australian Tax Office (ATO)

If you've been impacted by these bushfires, we don't want you to be concerned about your tax affairs. Now is the time for you, your family and community. We'll help you sort out your tax affairs later.

For identified impacted postcodes, we'll automatically grant deferrals for lodgments and payments due. You, or your agent, don't need to apply for these deferrals.

I woke up to it hammering on the tin roof
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
I woke up to it hammering on the tin roof
smile.gif

Yay the rain !!!

I'm looking at the BOM radar and I can see the rain over you right now.

Hmmm...looks like the fires have gotten into some of the exposed coal seams in the town, and are starting other fires...

Originally Posted by Shannow
Hmmm...looks like the fires have gotten into some of the exposed coal seams in the town, and are starting other fires...

Oh no, I've heard of coal fires burning for ages.

Largest on record, and still burning...

Total area burned across NSW, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania is 8.4m hectares - an area larger than Scotland.

In NSW alone, 4.9m hectares burned was the largest area destroyed in the state since records began, Associate Professor Owen Price from the University of Wollongong said.

Originally Posted by SR5
Sadly two NSW Rural firefighters died while on active duty today. Both fathers of young children.

Very sad news.

Funeral held for NSW RFS volunteer firefighter Andrew O'Dwyer today.

During the emotional service, the firefighter's young daughter Charlotte refused to leave her father's side, walking around his coffin and wearing her dad's helmet. (Link)

https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...ral/537a2c22-f019-4ac3-b48b-623392e5bd1d

Originally Posted by PimTac
Actions like this by certain people are outrageous.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/australia-brush-fire-24-charged-new-south-wales

I feel sorry for those who get caught using a Charcoal BBQ...they should know the rules...cooking Christmas roast over gas was not my best year....but fires within 400 feet 4 days earlier made it understandable.

but one firefighter has been charged with deliberately lighting (then fighting) 17 fires.

Place where my parents grew up, the local barber was head of the local firefighers...shop would have a closed for 30mins sign...some time later in the day, the bells would sound, and he'd swwing onto the back of the tender...they soon workedout he was creating his own fires...evil.

Last edited:
I just heard on the news that 24 people have been arrested for arson...sick people...

Originally Posted by grampi
I just heard on the news that 24 people have been arrested for arson...sick people...

Originally Posted by grampi

Indeed I'll never understand this kind of psychology of these people, especially since a firefighter KNOWS that there is the potential for the fire they set to actually kill people under these conditions! Bizarre...

Yes in the USA there is Centralia Pennsylvania coal seam fires, they started burning in the late 70s and still are not out, the entire town had to be evacuated.

I always think there's always some sick person out there that enjoys seeing people's lives and homes destroyed by arson fires. Very sick demented people starting fires.

A few sudden fires sprang up around here, always in bush land near roads. Quickly brought under control but very near houses.

Most suspect Cigarette Butts thrown from car windows by foolish and stupid people. It's hard to tell a smoker that a total fire ban may also include their tobacco habit.

Won't turn into Centralia...probably.

There's been helicopters flying around with strange cameras, which I think must be thermal imaging.

This morning heard something getting unloaded while I had breaky...one of the coal burns is around 400' from my place.

Morning after some rain must have made it safe to dig up to put it out.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back