Ummmn....fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DrDanger
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Be careful Shannow, and take care of your indoor air quality.

Breathing that in is awful for you.

Sending best possible wishes for a speedy end to the conflagration and that everyone will be ok.

UD

+1

Although you cant do much for outside air quality, you can for the air inside. I would get an air ionizer/ purifier to add a little protection for your health while in house.
Hope to see rain in 'stralia soon.

Was thinking the same. Stay safe Shannow. Keep us posted.

Just announced on ABC NEWS in the USA 11:40am , that 2 firefighters died in one of those fires, but didn't specify the location.

Gods speed.
TOMB
Tom Bailey
East coast USA

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
We sent 50 Canadian fire fighters to NSW. I hope they are some help. Good luck.

Yes, there's a mutual agreement between our countries to help each other in these situations. Australia has sent help to us too on a number of occasions to help with our wildfires. I, like many other Canadians, consider Australia a twin brother.

This was it around 11PM.by 1AM it was coolish, so is hunkered down for today's 205-110f day

[Linked Image]

This morning at around 6.30
[Linked Image]

Ran my roof protection for around 20 mins, and sitting here preparing for meetings to start for work.

The bush is cracking, as trees fall.

Have a swamp cooler with ionizer in the house that's been 24/7 for days...sinuses are still clagged

Originally Posted by SR5

Today the state of Victoria had it's hottest ever December day on record at 47.4C (117.3F)

I couldn't cope with that. At a cousins funeral yesterday, another cousin who lives in Karatha says he is coming home next year, among other things, as he gets older he can't take the heat.

Hoping you guys stay out of trouble.

Hey Silk,

Are you guys still getting smoke in New Zealand from the Australian bushfires?

It's been going on for about 2 months now, check out this map (link below, update daily), every state in Australia is on fire. I don't recall it ever being so widespread or for so long.

https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/

(I can't post the image directly from my phone, if somebody else could that would be great, to have today's image here).

Thanks Shannow.

I just read that the Bureau of Meteorology said spring 2019 saw Australia's highest fire weather danger on record.

From what I can tell, so far we have had about 3 million hectares burnt, and the fires are still going. For comparison the US state of Maryland has an area of 3.2 million hectares, we should be there by Christmas.

A few weeks ago I had to do some driving in rural New South Wales, I spent days planning my route around the fires. In the end, with the shifting winds, I didn't go. I would be placing my self in too much danger.

The burn on my hill got to 500' away at one stage...the temperatureis 100F,humiditynothing, sweat doesn't even wet your shirt.

My hillis out, my Clwydd Falls (roof sprinkler system I designed this week) on a double brick with a tin roof has me pretty good.

But the town has exploded,I saw a firenado this afternoon at the other end of town.

Been busy this last week with infernos threatening the other end of my life also...huge week...

I hope those that lost theirhouses today are safe.

Prayers to everyone in Australia, and I'm praying for more rain there too.

When was the last time things got this bad or came close to getting this bad? Decades ago? Curious.

Last edited:
Just an idea of what Shannow is involved in, not looking good. We're thinking of you mate....

Lithgow is surrounded by a huge wall of flames with the entire town under existential threat tonight - 21 Dec 2019

The massive Gospers Mountain fire that has been burning for weeks has now reached Lithgow. A huge wall of flames has been moving toward the town and homes have been lost on the outskirts. Lithgow is currently cut off with road closures and trains no longer running to the town from Sydney.

Last edited:
Fire-Induced storms are now being created.

Pyrocumulonimbus (pyroCb) is a cumulonimbus (thunderstorm) cloud that forms over a bushfire. PyroCbs develop in unstable atmospheres and are triggered by the heat energy released by the fire. They can produce lightning, hail and tornadoes. PyroCb are usually associated with large (often crown) fires, high energy release, high flames and indicate extreme fire behaviour. Due to their convective nature they can produce gusty, erratic winds that may result in changeable and very rapid fire spread in any direction.

A fire-generated thunderstorm formed over two fires burning at emergency level on the South Coast (NSW) as a southerly change exacerbated bushfires on a scorching day.

The RFS (Rural Fire Service) warned residents the thunderstorm was "a very dangerous situation", and could also occur over the Gospers Mountain mega fire as conditions deteriorate.

PyroCB storms are feared by firefighters for the violent and unpredictable conditions they create on the ground.

PyroCBs are able to generate their own lightning strikes, mass downdrafts of air, gusty winds and even hail blackened with soot. The plumes generated from pyroCBs can influence the atmosphere at heights of up to 15km.

Embers still hot enough to start new fires can be shot out of a pyroCB at distances of 30km from the main fire.

Some people having a really bad day yesterday...

That's other end of town, which I got a pic of yesterday from my end...they had firenados

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back