UI and going back to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6
For many of us, we are tired of paying tens of thousands in taxes, or more, per year, and seeing hobos treated better than we are. Some of us would gladly kick back and get some of what we've had sucked out of our lives put back in. I would personally feel ZERO guilt about it, considering all I've done for the unemployed, to a high standard, in spite of their physical and verbal abuse, etc. while being taxed out the nose for it? Nope. If I could slow roast it at home and make what I do, you betcha! However, I do not know how to "game the system" and make that happen, nor am I going to lower myself to trying to figure out how. If it were an option presented, though, in a HEARTBEAT!

And that's exactly what I did. My employer (US Tool Group) got very slow in March, as we support the Airline and Aerospace industries. We saw a layoff coming, and weighing the odds - I took a voluntary 90-day layoff. Since I have a call-back date, no job search required and absolutely no fault of my own. My state even waived the waiting week, so I get full unemployment + the additional.

I didn't have to do this, but I'm glad I did. I've worked all these years, and never drew UI in my life. I took a bit of a pay cut when it's all said and done, but for the quality time with my son - it's worth it. Those still working there very much wish they would've volunteered.

This is not something I would've normally done, but it extremely reduced my risk of contraction. I now look at it as a 12-week paid vacation. Plenty of time to ride the bikes and to get projects done around the house. That being said - if they end up calling me back early (not likely the way it looks currently), I would not be upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back