UI and going back to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Thing is that small business is what drives the economy in the USA and many of those people won't be going back to work because those business are closing for good.
Folks denying that reality are in a state of denial. The other sucker punch might be this fall. I predict the bottom will fall out.

Very possible....

And may well be the intention. .

Originally Posted by dishdude
You do not want this virus. I work with someone that recovered from COVID 2 weeks ago (after a very miserable 8 days) and came down with shingles this weekend. She's 35.

And I know of a guy 33 who had it and hardly experienced anything really at all ....

Go figure. .

A huge spectrum ... ..

A good number will have no symptoms... Some mild.... Some severe.... Some extremely severe....

Just like allergic reactions.. A vast and wide spectrum of results. We had a patient at the hospital where the RN had just started his scheduled antibiotic Ancef.... About two minutes later he hit his call button... She was headed in there as was I ( I was in charge if the floor that day) the patient reported not feeling well and his color was bad and he was sweating a lot... I asked the RN had she given him anything... Just started the Ancef... I was like stop that right now.... Pulled the line flushed out the medication out of the main line into the trash bag nearby restarted normal saline... He reported feeling much better right away, color was better and he was not sweating as much... I would bet good money he was not only just having a allergic reaction to the antibiotic... But I'd bet good money he was not far from having a massive reaction to the antibiotic... Anaphylactic shock was likely getting ready to happen to him... Thank goodness we got there when we did in my opinion...

Last edited:
I appreciate it....

Though to be honest... Think we got lucky to a small degree... We both had time to respond quickly...

There are times where that just was not the case.....

Say you are stuck in room doing serious wound care and the CNA is busy somewhere else.... And time go by... . I remember hearing from my friend Will on the second floor where he had a patient who's PCA machine had a total failure very shortly after the patient returned from PACU... The whole bag of IV diluadid went into that patient... Took almost every single vial of Narcan in the ENTIRE hospital to bring that patient back and reverse all that Dilaudid the patient had gotten.... Will told me later that if that happens say 3,4,5 hours plus later.... That person would have been dead... And long gone... On a floor with no heart monitor... And after the first 2-3 hours our typical patient load and how things typically went it could have been awhile before anyone even knew what had happened. Thank goodness it failed so soon after getting back on to the unit.

You do not want this virus. I work with someone that recovered from COVID 2 weeks ago (after a very miserable 8 days) and came down with shingles this weekend. She's 35.

Indeed. This is what makes it so much worse than something like the flu. Regardless of age you could have no or extremely mild symptoms OR be sedated on a ventilator having hallucinations for days on end OR excessive blood clotting because of an over active immune system which might result in the amputation of limbs.

No thanks.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
You really can't blame them if they stay home and get more....

It will take years to return to normal.

I think that's a bit gloomy of an outlook...I don't think it will take that long...

The economy won't return to normal, ever, at least in our lifetimes.

Still peddling gloom and doom I see...none of your loony predictions ever come true...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Indeed. This is what makes it so much worse than something like the flu. Regardless of age you could have no or extremely mild symptoms OR be sedated on a ventilator having hallucinations for days on end OR excessive blood clotting because of an over active immune system which might result in the amputation of limbs.

No thanks.

Have to say.... A registered bad influenza causes sepsis and septic shock... You don't want no parts of that either...

Blood clots happen too with a regular bad influenza... No movement can be the cause for that in that circumstance...

CVAs happen has well with a bad influenza...

And you'd be surprised....

Just how many patients due each year from post op infection... A lot more than one would like to contemplate.

I have seen what a mild influenza season looked like...

And I have certainly seen what a bad one did....

First hand....

And let's think about this fun filled fact... The NY State leading medical director made nursing homes take patients positive with this..... Yeah. Brilliant. Best place for them to be right??

Like those old Hertz commercials... Not exactly.

Probable fake news.

we are required by state law to report them as called back. If they do not shoe up then they lose benefits.

suspect most states are the same

I only know a few people who have had to go on unemployment (fortunately) and they have been waiting for weeks to even get a payment, so if they are able to go back to work I'm sure they would.

Originally Posted by grampi
The economy won't return to normal, ever, at least in our lifetimes.

Still peddling gloom and doom I see...none of your loony predictions ever come true...

Yeah, it's like no one ever heard of the Spanish flu. That one never had a vaccine, it eventually went away a year later when lots of people end up getting it. Lots more died too. But then that was followed by the roaring 20's. You didn't get a depression til the 30's and that had nothing to do with the flu.

There's all kinds of predictions on here, just that no one can back them up with anything solid.

Originally Posted by bbhero

And I know of a guy 33 who had it and hardly experienced anything really at all ....

Go figure. .

A huge spectrum ... ..

A good number will have no symptoms... Some mild.... Some severe.... Some extremely severe....

Just like any disease, it depends on the individual's immune system. Even a young person with a weak immune system may not fair vary well with this virus. The 35 year old gal had the singles virus, and most likely that her immune system was so run down from fighting CV-19 that the singles virus also raised it's ugly head.

I highly doubt anyone wants to contract CV-19 to see how they fair ... but seems that some people don't really care, or look at it as "not a big deal". If they have that attitude they should seriously sign up as a CV-19 human research participant.

My niece gets paid more with unemployment + $600 then her school aid job. She got creative and does her aid job and helps special needs kids 9 hrs per week do their work remotely. She charges $15/hr for service parents gladly pay to be able to work executive jobs.

Originally Posted by madRiver
My niece gets paid more with unemployment + $600 then her school aid job. She got creative and does her aid job and helps special needs kids 9 hrs per week do their work remotely. She charges $15/hr for service parents gladly pay to be able to work executive jobs.

The kid's parents have excutive jobs ?

Then she needs to raise her rate to $45 an hour. ☺

You really can't blame them if they stay home and get more....

It will take years to return to normal.

Actually you can, it's called fraud, and hardworking people like US are footing the bill for the lazy slobs. It is the height of stupidity to pay people MORE on unemployment than they were making when they were being productive. /Disgust

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Go figure. .

A huge spectrum ... ..

Just like any disease, it depends on the individual's immune system. Even a young person with a weak immune system may not fair vary well with this virus. The 35 year old gal had the singles virus, and most likely that her immune system was so run down from fighting CV-19 that the singles virus also raised it's ugly head.

I highly doubt anyone wants to contract CV-19 to see how they fair ... but seems that some people don't really care, or look at it as "not a big deal". If they have that attitude they should seriously sign up as a CV-19 human research participant.

I really am not worried about it. I even looked into being a research participant, but they are not willing to pay me nearly enough for my time, much less for the potential pain/suffering/etc. The most I saw was $7K for the experience, which is a joke.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Go figure. .

A huge spectrum ... ..

And a lot of people could not care.... And that would be fine... And those people would be just fine physically.... A whole, whole, whole lot of people would be just fine physically....

Like I have stated from the outset.... People 60+ with cardiac, respiratory and other serious condition morbidites are the ones at highest risk of major physical complications... Funny how the medical director of NY had patients positive with this virus sent into.... Nursing homes.... Yeah he must not have been too worried I guess....

Over the next 2 months(until the end of June) my employer is furloughing every making under $59K a year for a minimum of two weeks. Because I have so little work that can be done remotely, I'm the lucky one who got a full 7 weeks in my department.

The $59K cut-off is based on the fact that my state's max standard unemployment($532/week)+$600/wk CARES means you won't lose money. They're also continuing to pay health insurance(both employer and employee contributions) so in a sense it's a paid vacation. I make enough money that under ordinary circumstances, I'd qualify for $532 a week, so I'll actually see a pretty decent pay increase on UI. $31K a year is roughly the break even point for where the CARES money by itself would fully cover their standard salary, and someone making $30K will draw over $900/wk on unemployment.

Although I'll certainly go back when I'm recalled, I'm not too terribly upset over it. I can understand folks attempting to dodge the system, though, under the current circumstances...

Luckily my 3 adult children are still working full time.

I asked them if they could make the same exact money from the government and stay home...... or work ?

All 3 said they would rather continue working than get unemployment.

Luckily my 3 adult children are still working full time.

I asked them if they could make the same exact money from the government and stay home...... or work ?

All 3 said they would rather continue working than get unemployment.

Good to hear. There is a sense of pride in being a productive person versus sitting and doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back