UI and going back to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the employer ends the furlough and brings the employee back, the unemployment benefit stops. So it is impossible to game the system.

Some employers may choose to furlough low paying jobs below $28 per hour to eliminate labor costs and not harm the employees either. But eventually they will end up paying for it through higher taxes.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Good to hear. There is a sense of pride in being a productive person versus sitting and doing nothing.

For me, if I could actually GO to work and BE PRODUCTIVE I'd trade that over collecting UI in a second even if it is more money.

As it is, though, my work-day mostly consists of sitting in front of the computer, answering the occasional email, and attending mostly uses meetings on MS Teams just to have something to do.

I've started some independent projects that will benefit my employer but are also for my own personal satisfaction. Most notable is the textbook I've been working on about GC-MS that approaches things from both a practical and theoretical standpoint-something I've looked for and I don't think in the form I'd like. It's actually been tremendously therapeutic and enjoyable to write, but when I'm walking around looking for work to do, ask for stuff, and then say "I'm working on this, that's okay" and get "Yeah, that seems like something useful to work on" then why bother. I understand them not keeping me on when no one is allowed to physically be there, and between a spending freeze and the lack of physical preference 99% of my work has evaporated.

So, yeah, I'm taking the time, completing professional projects that my employer can use and will ultimately benefit me, but also catch up on things like the engine rebuild for the MG I've just not had time to address. It's freeing to not be under the guise of "pretending to work." It also gives me time to prepare for my impending out of state move/job change(the personal projects I'm working on will benefit them also).

If that's somehow wrong or whatever, so be it, but my employer didn't make furloughs optional.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
If the employer ends the furlough and brings the employee back, the unemployment benefit stops. So it is impossible to game the system.

Some employers may choose to furlough low paying jobs below $28 per hour to eliminate labor costs and not harm the employees either. But eventually they will end up paying for it through higher taxes.

So, if a employee is furloughed, then gets called to work and the employee says no; does that employees unemployment stop?

Thank You

Yes. It's the same as having a job then telling the boss you are quitting and won't be coming to work any more. Unemployment does not apply if you quit.

At one time most people knew that, because it's plain common sense, but the myth machine is working overtime.

Originally Posted by mk378
Yes. It's the same as having a job then telling the boss you are quitting and won't be coming to work any more. Unemployment does not apply if you quit.

At one time most people knew that, because it's plain common sense, but the myth machine is working overtime.

Never been on unemployment which is why I asked

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Luckily my 3 adult children are still working full time.

I asked them if they could make the same exact money from the government and stay home...... or work ?

All 3 said they would rather continue working than get unemployment.

Good to hear. There is a sense of pride in being a productive person versus sitting and doing nothing.

Not at this point for some of us. For many of us, we are tired of paying tens of thousands in taxes, or more, per year, and seeing hobos treated better than we are. Some of us would gladly kick back and get some of what we've had sucked out of our lives put back in. I would personally feel ZERO guilt about it, considering all I've done for the unemployed, to a high standard, in spite of their physical and verbal abuse, etc. while being taxed out the nose for it? Nope. If I could slow roast it at home and make what I do, you betcha! However, I do not know how to "game the system" and make that happen, nor am I going to lower myself to trying to figure out how. If it were an option presented, though, in a HEARTBEAT!

WS6,

How much cash would you need to not work the rest of your life ?

Be realistic..... don't say 10 million dollars.

Man, honestly? Truthfully? More than the taxes than I've paid in, I must admit, but I also know I'll never see that money, and I'll never see it beautify my community. It's just wasted on failed projects for the most part.

But, to answer your question...are you meaning total, as in "you cant invest, you cant use it to make more, it is what it is"? Or you mean "A higher power cuts you a check this second, and forbids you to work for pay ever again, do what you will."?

Okay, if I cannot use the money to make more money in any way: 1.5 million, after taxes or fees.
If I can use the money, invest, etc. 1 million, after taxes and fees.

Those are minimum amounts that I predict would allow me to contentedly live off of until 80, if I was savvy with it.

My mother-in-law has been a server at Cracker Barrel (tier 4) for the past 15 years. She was laid-off back in March, been on UI, and just went back to work on Wednesday. The store is only open to 30 people, staff included. She only made $8 in tips in a 6 hour shift.

1.5 million tax free cash is reasonable.

Respectfully, what would you consider unreasonable and then why?

I agree in principle with 6 here for many of the reasons he stated.

I worked hard and long to get executive status and am not shy or ashamed about it. It was a series of acts to achieve a goal.

I also don't feel I "owe' those who don't try or have ambition anything or out of some political feel good sense of "fairness'', equality ,justice or anything else.

They want a chance or opportunity- join the Army like I did and earn school.

I see the layoffs like everyone else and despise the politicians who created it ( that's a more sensitive subject) but at the end of the day every person ( who does not have a legitimate disability- not a political one) has a choice to put effort toward achieving something then planning to go for it.

If they choose not to and that puts them in a class more at risk of layoff then that's the way the hand played out.

As far as the industry that has to do the layoffs- that's more on the false flag situation we are in and not directly the fault of the company ( totally different subject)

It infuriates me that my tax dollars go to those who have no entitlement in the first place ( non citizens) then to the others who "game' the system which takes away from those who legitimately need and deserve the benefits in the first place.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Respectfully, what would you consider unreasonable and then why?

I agree in principle with 6 here for many of the reasons he stated.

I worked hard and long to get executive status and am not shy or ashamed about it. It was a series of acts to achieve a goal.

I also don't feel I "owe' those who don't try or have ambition anything or out of some political feel good sense of "fairness'', equality ,justice or anything else.

They want a chance or opportunity- join the Army like I did and earn school.

I see the layoffs like everyone else and despise the politicians who created it ( that's a more sensitive subject) but at the end of the day every person ( who does not have a legitimate disability- not a political one) has a choice to put effort toward achieving something then planning to go for it.

If they choose not to and that puts them in a class more at risk of layoff then that's the way the hand played out.

As far as the industry that has to do the layoffs- that's more on the false flag situation we are in and not directly the fault of the company ( totally different subject)

It infuriates me that my tax dollars go to those who have no entitlement in the first place ( non citizens) then to the others who "game' the system which takes away from those who legitimately need and deserve the benefits in the first place.

Exactly this. As soon as I can secure a desk job, feasibly, I will. I'm 34 and more jaded than most people twice my age. Tired of it, want out, will make my way out. These threads about work honestly, legit, make me angry thinking about it. Probably a sign I need a desk, lol!

I sure hope so, because it's likely close to what I'll manage to make in this life.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
My mother-in-law has been a server at Cracker Barrel (tier 4) for the past 15 years. She was laid-off back in March, been on UI, and just went back to work on Wednesday. The store is only open to 30 people, staff included. She only made $8 in tips in a 6 hour shift.

That sucks and I would tip ridiculously well if I went out.

I wonder if the venn diagram of people who just couldn't wait to get out of the house, and the people who stiff waitstaff, has a lot of overlap.

Originally Posted by eljefino

I wonder if the venn diagram of people who just couldn't wait to get out of the house, and the people who stiff waitstaff, has a lot of overlap.

Disgusting. People too poor to tip are too poor to go out to eat. You won't change my mind.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Disgusting. People too poor to tip are too poor to go out to eat. You won't change my mind.

01.gif

We ordered out Thursday at work, tipped the delivery guy almost 50%.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, I'm still annoyed that one tenant of mine who could barely keep up with the rent used to tell me he'd get delivery and not tip. I don't even do delivery.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Exactly this. As soon as I can secure a desk job, feasibly, I will. I'm 34 and more jaded than most people twice my age. Tired of it, want out, will make my way out. These threads about work honestly, legit, make me angry thinking about it. Probably a sign I need a desk, lol!

What I find strange and I guess it's pretty normal is how many people don't have any savings. Even though I got blasted pretty bad in the stock market down turn, I'm still not worried about any of my finances. Rode it out during the dot com bust and the last recession.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

What I find strange and I guess it's pretty normal is how many people don't have any savings. Even though I got blasted pretty bad in the stock market down turn, I'm still not worried about any of my finances. Rode it out during the dot com bust and the last recession.

I don't see why you would- I see it ( or hear about it) about everywhere I go for a client and people are always talking. (plus a lot of my contractors are nomads)

Even if you exclude the young and others who don't have good financial sense or live beyond means, there are millions who have endured any number of events ( singular or in succession) that have wiped them out and there is almost no chance of recovery.

Theres probably more of them than the media tells us about and that's usually the ones I wind up seeing.

It can only take one divorce, illness, accident to destroy a life ( financially or otherwise)- then if a second one hits...

Been there myself so excluding that "irresponsible group" I'm more apt to work to help them because when you take a hit like that, it hurts. Losing "money" is one thing- try losing the ability to make it or be so over the head where its now impossible to get out.

That's another.

That sucks, period. Even in better times my mantra is that if one can afford to go out to eat, one can afford to tip appropriately. If the service was poor that's a different story, but I'm guessing that waitstaff is being extra attentive right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back