uBlock Origin Diaappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: willbur
Thank you Ndfergy for your comprehensive and knowledgeable reply-

after spending some time on this;it appears the issue is not Windows Store, but uBlock Origin itself (or Microsoft).

I can download any Windows extension I want, except uBlock Origin. I liked this app because it consumed fewer resources than most ad blockers. Now, I'm using the Adguard extension. Works well.

Curious! What did you use prior to UBlock Origin? Whatever it is, might still have traces left-over on your computer, creating a conflict with UBlock Origin.

It happened to me a little while back. Turns out there were still some leftover things on my computer, related to Adblock Plus and the two created a conflict.

Triple 7-
Funny you should say that! I had been using Adfender, but not as an extension. Deleted it after some "issues". Then installed the uBlock Origin extension-it ran great for several months. Then this.

Does Adfender have a ghost?

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Ditch Windows 10. It is, by definition, spyware.

Ditch the snarky comments. Ditching Windows 10 is not a realistic option for many people. It's going to come by default on most new machines that aren't Macs. And Joe Sixpack doesn't necessarily have the wherewithal to remove it and install a Linux distro.

Just opt out of all feedback to Microsoft when going through initial setup, and don't use Cortana.

Microsoft installed Creator on my laptop wo permission or being asked to (typical Microsoft heavy hand), and Adguard extension then started to let ads thru. However, I was able to download uBlock Origin again and its doing a great job of blocking ads. Wonder how long this will last.

my educated guess is that the store sees an app is installed status and greys out the install option.
does not matter if the app is hopelessly broken.
and when you uninstall the broken app it does not report correctly as it is still broken.
i would restore to a date before ublock died.
could be a bug in the os or the app.conditional on you having a unique combination of software and configuration that exposes this bug.
windows 10 has lots of bugs yet to be discovered as it is fairly new.
a backup and reload might be the easiest fix.

another good suggestion but you want CMD.
and it must be an admin level session.
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Originally Posted By: willbur
Thank you-
ran the App Troubleshooter. Found unfixable problem: "Windows Store Cache Damaged (Not Fixed)" So, I guess that's it.

Hi Wilbur,
I've been away the last few days'.

OK, you've ran the troubleshooter and reset the store to no effect. I'm guessing this is a "Creators upgrade" issue where a recovery rollback or reset might be required. Before we do that lets work the tree.

- Has your copy of windows been validated? I'm not sure if this would lock you out from downloading apps from the store but maybe it could. Goto notifications > all settings > update and security > validation

- Check your date, time and region are correct. Goto notifications > all settings > time & language

- Run a system file and repair. Type cdm in the search bar > mouse hover and right click > run as administrator > type sfc /scannow > enter.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back