Uber/Lyft Destroyed The Taxi Industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Willclark
Originally Posted by PimTac
[The same could be said of those who invested a large sum of money to get the taxi medallions.

The medallions were passed down from generation to generation. They were like family heirlooms. And every legit taxi in Chicago required a medallion on the hood of the car. They were numbered and inspected yearly by the Department of Business Affairs. Of course, many of them came from hard working minority immigrants. I really believe the only reason Uber/Lyft took off was the cheaper cost per ride. Just a question, but how well do you tip you're server if you go out to eat?

Not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand. Do you really want to go there?

Tipping is my business only and nobody else's?

Please stop with the class-envy mantra. We all make choices in life. If those choices don't meet someones expectations, it is up to the individual to make whatever changes are necessary to possibly achieve their goal.

When I was making minimum wage, I knew that wasn't what I wanted to settle for in life, so I continued my education and gained experience. Eventually I could command a higher wage due to my education, experience, and ability.

In other words, if an Uber, Lyft, or disgruntled taxi driver isn't happy with their situation, only they can change it.

Pleading their case to people on a Forum from all walks of life, who happen to share an interest in oil and automotive related subjects, isn't likely to get them ahead in their career, or on their way to a new career.

You're beyond shameless and the reason why these companies exist. Why would they go with you and the "scenic route" when they can pay for the exact route they want in advance? Did you ask the passengers whether they wanted the scenic route?

Here is an example, I would pick someone up on the North side and they would have to catch a flight to Midway airport. A GPS would say to take Cicero ave. the whole way. That is the direct route. I would take the expressways to the airport. You know why? Because Cicero Ave. goes through some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. I assumed the customer would prefer a safer alternative. Yes, it's may be a few bucks more. But so what. A GPS and cell phone driving apps won't tell you stuff that I know through years of driving. I'm just trying to show you guys the other side of things.

Small (local correction):
You would not take Cicero Ave because:
-They will kill you (your arriving time) with the many stoplights and quality of the roads. plus 3-4 (or more) badly designed major streets intersections.
-The "No speaky english" cabbies would take to the REALLY long way back to the Northside trough 294....

So now I use the suburbian cabs and ubers. Both are way civilized than many Chicago based cabbies. and cleaner. Also they use apps so I know when, who and what they are driving me in

P.S. Chicago cabbies HAVE to (regulations+taxes) charge 1.5 times when they are in the suburbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by pandus13

P.S. Chicago cabbies HAVE to (regulations+taxes) charge 1.5 times when they are in the suburbs.

Yes, that is true but the 1.5 meter doesn't start until they exit the city. For example, Howard starts 1.5 meter on the North side and Harlem started the 1.5 meter on the Southwest side.

Originally Posted by nthach

I've been in a Chicago cab once that cut off a CTA bus. If that Prius and the bus did kiss, I would have been crushed by a 40' New Flyer.

I think you may be over dramatizing the incident. The buses are well aware that taxis cut them off and brake ahead of time.

Just a question, but how well do you tip you're server if you go out to eat?

Been a while since we had a good tipping thread. Do you tip on takeout? At fast food places? On takeout at fast food places?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I showered every day and spoke English.

What are you saying, that some taxi drivers don't bathe frequently enough and/or speak English ?

If the ride is cheap enough, I wouldn't really care unless I had to take a shower myself after the ride.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Been a while since we had a good tipping thread. Do you tip on takeout? At fast food places? On takeout at fast food places?

coffee2.gif

Financial Fashion Police: Why do you eat out? Do you know how much you can save each year by not eating out? And cooking at home?

I would love to have a thread where we debate tipping, but let's make it a separate thread from this one. LOL

Uber or Lyft are not a losing proposition to all. I know a guy who commutes from our IL suburb into the STL metro. He turns on his Uber app to see if he can get a paying passenger going somewhere close to where he's going already. Why not get paid to drive to work?

Even if he "breaks even" on those miles to work, it's better than getting no money at all for the trip.

It reduces traffic as the vehicle was largely going that way anyway.

Sucks for the cab driver who doesn't get the fare, but it works for the commuter, or the person going to the airport who has room for one more and will take someone with them.

It's the digital ride share board you see at work, or on a college campus.

Last edited:

coffee2.gif

Financial Fashion Police: Why do you eat out? Do you know how much you can save each year by not eating out? And cooking at home?

Eat out to have something different I can't or don't want to make myself.
Don't really care how much I save. Maybe eat out only 3 or 4 meals a week that average $7-8 each. Save on other things like driving myself instead of taking taxis or Ubers.
lol.gif

Eat out to have something different I can't or don't want to make myself.
Don't really care how much I save. Maybe eat out only 3 or 4 meals a week that average $7-8 each. Save on other things like driving myself instead of taking taxis or Ubers.
lol.gif

I came out the wrong way, Trying to make a joke...

11.gif

Originally Posted by askani79705
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The free market has decided taxis suck.

This. Plus the passenger is less likely to get "long hauled".

this,typical cost for a ride from Love Field to DFW : $80 Uber ? $ $20 - $30 .

They're not the first ones to do that. There were the "black cars" before that. Around here, rides to the airport were around $40-$50, the black cars were only $25 and they were flat rate so you knew how much it was in advance. They were much nicer cars, last time I took one, it was something like a Lincoln town car which is how long it's been since I had to to take one, prices are probably much higher now too. Of course they were much harder to find, either at the airport or you had to know who to call to order one in advance.

The basics of the Taxi medallion is still the same, they're still the only ones allowed to pick up fares from the street. Now it's just easy to make arrangements with Uber or Lyft for a ride.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Okay, you guys win. Do you ever wonder or, a better question, even care how much the average Uber driver makes? The only thing you guys seem to care about is the price point. Of course, I'm not surprised as many of you stock up on Warren made Walmart oil. Uber drivers don't know anything about the neighborhoods they drive. Uber drivers don't know the history of where they are driving. When I was a professional driver these are things I did. And I made real money leasing my cab on the weekends. It saddens me how little these Uber drivers make. But I guess, I have to adapt and move one to a new career.

I'll say one thing, you sure have "burst onto the Bitog scene" since you joined this month. Off and running with all political posts, you're well on your way!

Joseph at it again?

Top 3 reasons I and NO ONE cares Taxi business is dying:

1. Late arrivals. Call dispatch and wait 30-45 min PAST promised time of arrival. NO THANKS !!

2. RUDE, Arrogant, Smelly drivers who speak Horrible or NO english AT ALL

3. Monopoly on fares. Someone gotta "pay" for that lease and medallion right ??

Out of maybe 50 or so uber rides I have done nationwide, Only 1 in NW Chicago suburbs (go figure) was bad (Rude driver)

So long, c'ya, BYE BYE !!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back