Uber/Lyft Destroyed The Taxi Industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Willclark
The whole city of Chicago is corrupt.
Works for some. Turned out OK for Smollett.

The real problem with the medallion protection racket is that the taxi companies each evolve into a monster that abuses customers and the driving public (wreckless driving goes unpunished).

Perhaps start driving an Uber, long haul passengers along the scenic route, while lecturing them about the benefits of a PAO based synthetic?

Of course, I'm not surprised as many of you stock up on Warren made Walmart oil. etc etc....But I guess, I have to adapt and move one to a new career.

I'll say one thing, you sure have "burst onto the Bitog scene" since you joined this month. Off and running with all political posts, you're doing well![/quote]

I haven't said anything political in this thread!. I'm not here to make friends though. I enjoy the real oil discussions.

I live in Chicago and refuse to take Uber. The Uber industry destroyed the "old school", traditional, taxi industry.......

GOOD!!!!

They actually haven't here, still a lot of people that don't have Paypal, are old school, and taxis have contracts with various organizations to move the disabled...

I haven't said anything political in this thread!. I'm not here to make friends though. I enjoy the real oil discussions.

Probably won't take long before you'll make an enemy that will matter.

They did destroy the taxi industry and morphed the taxi industry from a professional that could put food on the table into a less than minimum wage job.
But that's how things work and the customers save a couple of bucks so everything is good

ut that's how things work and the customers save a couple of bucks so everything is good

^^ You are correct. The customer saves a few bucks. But I haven't seen one concern about how much the Uber driver makes. Not that I care too much though.

Sure, if I was having a slow night I might. But then again, who could you complain to? You could always call 311 and talk to a Chicago human resource person. Good luck on that......

You're beyond shameless and the reason why these companies exist. Why would they go with you and the "scenic route" when they can pay for the exact route they want in advance? Did you ask the passengers whether they wanted the scenic route? You literally robbed passengers, you were immoral, you want someone else to feel bad for the plight of people like you?

At this point I have to believe you're just a troll. There's no way anyone could be this ridiculous. You're not a good look for the yellow cab industry if you're not a troll.

You're beyond shameless and the reason why these companies exist. Why would they go with you and the "scenic route" when they can pay for the exact route they want in advance? Did you ask the passengers whether they wanted the scenic route?

Here is an example, I would pick someone up on the North side and they would have to catch a flight to Midway airport. A GPS would say to take Cicero ave. the whole way. That is the direct route. I would take the expressways to the airport. You know why? Because Cicero Ave. goes through some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. I assumed the customer would prefer a safer alternative. Yes, it's may be a few bucks more. But so what. A GPS and cell phone driving apps won't tell you stuff that I know through years of driving. I'm just trying to show you guys the other side of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willclark, please use the "Quote" button so we know your quotes are from somebody else. When editing out somebody's quote, simply leave the bracketed-slash name and quote instructions in the text.

If I was a passenger and you explained that … no worries … Thanks …
Never leave another to assume they understand someone's intentions …

Originally Posted by 4WD

Sometimes, I did explain the situation. A few times, the customer preferred the "west side Chicago" experience. I had customers taking pictures of the homeless standing in front of the liquor store or the Chicago Police frisking 4 youths against the hood of a car. I really enjoyed my job though and liked interacting with people from around the World. You guys are right though, the old taxi days are over. I'm thinking of driving a limo party bus that people rent out.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Sometimes, I did explain the situation. A few times, the customer preferred the "west side Chicago" experience. I had customers taking pictures of the homeless standing in front of the liquor store or the Chicago Police frisking 4 youths against the hood of a car. I really enjoyed my job though and liked interacting with people from around the World. You guys are right though, the old taxi days are over. I'm thinking of driving a limo party bus that people rent out.

Would you be driving the limo in your off time from your landscaping job? How do you drive taxi and landscape both?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Would you be driving the limo in your off time from your landscaping job? How do you drive taxi and landscape both?

You really want to go there? It's a temporary job that I hate doing. I mow lawns and chop weeds now that Spring is here. I don't think I'm meant for outdoor manual labor.

ut that's how things work and the customers save a couple of bucks so everything is good

^^ You are correct. The customer saves a few bucks. But I haven't seen one concern about how much the Uber driver makes. Not that I care too much though.

First of all, the savings is one small part of it. But the price factor alone is not the deal breaker between most people and taxis.

The car service industry is just that: a SERVICE. Service is exactly the thing taxis made themselves well known for NOT providing.

Uber and Lyft didn't kill the taxi industry. The taxi industry was a dead man walking for a LONG time. Rideshare just allowed the pall bearers to set down the coffin.

For all of the dissatisfied rideshare drivers that are supposed to be out there, I have never come into contact with one. Every one I talk to knows what they're getting into, knows that they absolutely don't always have to get into it, and is satisfied with what they get.

There are always going to be the ones who can profit from any industry, and those who don't. But rideshare is not a binding commitment. At any time out of the 24 hours a day, a driver can just choose to go do something else.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
[

There are always going to be the ones who can profit from any industry, and those who don't. But rideshare is not a binding commitment. At any time out of the 24 hours a day, a driver can just choose to go do something else.

What about the poor folks who get sucked in and lease a vehicle from Uber at ridiculous prices? I would say that is a binding commitment. What about how Uber doesn't tell you the whole insurance policy when you sign up to drive? I really wish an Uber driver would comment here so I could ask him/her a few more questions.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
[

What about the poor folks who get sucked in and lease a vehicle from Uber at ridiculous prices? I would say that is a binding commitment. What about how Uber doesn't tell you the whole insurance policy when you sign up to drive? I really wish an Uber driver would comment here so I could ask him/her a few more questions.

The same could be said of those who invested a large sum of money to get the taxi medallions.

[The same could be said of those who invested a large sum of money to get the taxi medallions.

The medallions were passed down from generation to generation. They were like family heirlooms. And every legit taxi in Chicago required a medallion on the hood of the car. They were numbered and inspected yearly by the Department of Business Affairs. Of course, many of them came from hard working minority immigrants. I really believe the only reason Uber/Lyft took off was the cheaper cost per ride. Just a question, but how well do you tip you're server if you go out to eat?

[The same could be said of those who invested a large sum of money to get the taxi medallions.

I really believe the only reason Uber/Lyft took off was the cheaper cost per ride.

The price helped, but if the service and experience were poor (like riding in your cab) then the concept never would have taken off.

I don't know about those cities. I'm only talking about Chicago. The greatest city in the U.S..

I've been in a Chicago cab once that cut off a CTA bus. If that Prius and the bus did kiss, I would have been crushed by a 40' New Flyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back