U.S. to announce fusion energy ‘breakthrough’

“There is going to be great pride that this is something that happened in the United States,” said David Edelman, who leads policy and global affairs at TAE, a large private fusion energy company. “This is a very important milestone on the road toward fusion energy.”

...still ways to go but this sounds like a pretty big breakthrough.

1670850836711.jpg

“There is going to be great pride that this is something that happened in the United States,” said David Edelman, who leads policy and global affairs at TAE, a large private fusion energy company. “This is a very important milestone on the road toward fusion energy.”

Yes, I agree, I was about to post a thread about this news but you beat me to it.
Maybe in another decade once the first plant is under construction someone will come up with an alternative (better storage device) for electricity in EVs other then batteries as we know them.
It's kind of cool, that this is being developed by us in the USA.

I dont know why we have to have negative comments in here. I dont get it.

Yes, I agree, I was about to post a thread about this news but you beat me to it.
Maybe in another decade once the first plant is under construction someone will come up with an alternative (better storage device) for electricity in EVs other then batteries as we know them.
It's kind of cool, that this is being developed by us in the USA. I dont know why we have to have negative comments in here. I dont get it.
Net reaction energy and commercial plant are very far apart. We’ve been working on fusion for 50 years. We’ve just got past break even energy. Not big energy. Not viable, sustainable reaction. Certainly nowhere near continuous reaction.

Net reaction energy and commercial plant are very far apart. We’ve been working on fusion for 50 years. We’ve just got past break even energy. Not big energy. Not viable, sustainable reaction. Certainly nowhere near continuous reaction.
Yeah, good point, I saw maybe a "decade" away but my brain didnt see the maybe "decades away" part.
Still a big step, "just got past break even energy"

Yeah, good point, I saw maybe a "decade" away but my brain didnt see the maybe "decades away" part.
Still a big step, "just got past break even energy"
Even still, and @Astro14 excellent posts as well I learned a lot from it, seems like a step in the right direction.

EV seems a misfire, on a grand and global scale.. for fusion to occur on a scale that can reliably power a passenger car.. unless we really are just moving at breakneck speed!

Along these lines, I found this video interesting.
Even nuclear fusion is not without concerns regarding waste which must be dealt with at some point. Seems kicking the can down the road is a common theme in ALL energy discussions.

Looks like we will need to capture some comets for the Tritium.

Sounds like they are running out of funds. Or am I to cynical?

Back