Two Thumbs Up to SquareTrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In September 2009, I bought a 32" Toshiba LCD TV for my father. Three weeks ago, the power supply board failed on the TV, but it was already more than two months out of warranty.

When I purchased the TV, I added a $28 three-year warranty from Squaretrade. After learning from my dad that the TV was broken, I made an online claim with squaretrade. Soon after, I was asked to ship the TV back via a prepaid label. I was promised upfront that once the TV arrived, I would be issued a check.

Earlier today, I received notice that the warranty claim has been approved and a check has been issued to me in the amount of $335-- the full replacement cost of the TV.

So, to anyone who may be in the market for an extended warranty, I can comfortably recommend their services. Now the real question is whether or not I should buy an extended warranty on the Samsung TV I purchased as the replacement.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Now the real question is whether or not I should buy an extended warranty on the Samsung TV I purchased as the replacement.

Thanks for the info, but your last statement has me confused. You tell us how wonderful square trade is, and then wonder if you should get it for the new tv??

From the sounds of things it was money well spent, can't say that about a lot of things these days
smile.gif

Great! I had purchased a 4 year warranty from Square Trade for my 52" Sony. Glad to hear about the prompt service.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Thanks for the info, but your last statement has me confused. You tell us how wonderful square trade is, and then wonder if you should get it for the new tv??

I cannot decide if I should purchase a squaretrade warranty for the new TV I just purchased. Not because squaretrade doesn't treat me well, but because I am not sure if it is needed for a Samsung.

The thing with warranties is that they CAN NOT be on your side mathematically or financally, otherwise they would not make money. The question becomes one of the hassle required to repair if something does go wrong. Seems that this company is decent.

Still, a TV should not be failing that fast, and if it does, it is really poor quality, IMO. None of my tube TVs are newer than 2003, and all work perfectly.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: hate2work

I cannot decide if I should purchase a squaretrade warranty for the new TV I just purchased. Not because squaretrade doesn't treat me well, but because I am not sure if it is needed for a Samsung.

You trust Samsung more than Toshiba ??!! Bwaaaha.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
You trust Samsung more than Toshiba ??!! Bwaaaha.

I don't, but my dad does. I think they are just as bad.

Agree with JHRZ2.

$335 is pretty cheap for a 32" LCD name-brand TV. Toshiba has just an OK record with LCD's, as does Samsung. For 8% of the purchase price, you get two additional years beyond the manufacturer warranty? or three additional? The stats say the failure rate is significantly lower than that.

I don't think I've evner bought an extended warranty on anything, but from what I keep hearing about HDTV's, I think I'd consider it if I was buying one.

Heard nothing but good things about Square Trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back