Treat that Diesel Fuel for Winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copy Right is from Staveley Services:

Interesting note is that #2 Fuel can't be treated by Kerosene or Jet Fuel any more with ULSDF.

October 2, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparing For the COLD with ULSD Fuel
By: Edward Eckert

The winter of 2006 was a very busy one in the fuels laboratory. Although it isn't unusual at this time of year to see an increase in cold flow testing, what was unusual was the number of problems customers were experiencing with the new Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD (S15)) which they had just started using during the past year. The lab received numerous calls regarding fuel filter clogging. One customer, a disposal company with a fleet of garbage trucks, was shut down for days due to fuel filter clogging. This was obviously creating a real "stinky" situation. Everyone was wondering what was going on, and apparently the fuel was to blame, but why?

ULSD has unique characteristics due to the refining process to remove the sulfur. It increases the paraffin wax content, and enables the fuel to retain more dissolved water, unlike its High and Low Sulfur counterparts.

Paraffin wax was the biggest culprit to filter clogging with ULSD during the cold season of 2006. "Wax-gel clogging" in fuel filters was occurring for numerous customers. Unlike the Dr. Scholl's commercials, "Gellin like Magellan" was not cool. When improperly treated ULSD fuel is subjected to very cold temperatures, the wax content in the fuel will bond together creating a wax-gel like substance and drop to the bottom of the fuel tank. The wax-gel will then be drawn into the filter by the fuel pump, blocking any fuel from getting to the engine. When the clogged filters are removed, the wax gel that is on the filters becomes insoluble (solid) at room temperature. It will not become soluble again until approximately 85F, where at this point the wax can be absorbed back into the fuel. With High and Low sulfur fuel, the wax is absorbed back into the fuel at much lower temperatures. Another problem that customers encountered was icing. ULSD can hold more dissolved water than High or Low Sulfur diesel. Even though lab results show there isn't water in the storage or supply tank, the dissolved water when it starts to reach the freezing mark (32F), will get "pushed" out of the ULSD fuel creating ice crystals causing fuel line and filter plugging.

#2 ULSD cannot be winterized with #1 Diesel Fuel, Kerosene, or Jet A fuel types. Even though these fuels are similar in cost, and will reduce the CFPP (Cold Filter Plugging Point) or PP (Pour Point) by 5F for every 10% added to the #2 ULSD, these fuel types contain higher sulfur levels, making the fuel non-approved for on-highway use. #1 ULSD is expensive and production levels are limited, so don't expect to see it that much in 2007. ULSD has to be winterized properly for the cold winter months by using the right winter additives. As was seen by many customers last year using winter additive products that worked well with their High or Low Sulfur fuels, the additives they typically used had little or no affect on ULSD.

It is very important to know for the upcoming cold months ahead, how your fuel will perform when temperatures fall. We suggest asking your fuel supplier how they are winterizing the ULSD they are supplying. Some ULSD is winterized by de-waxing, and there are also numerous anti-gel, anti-ice, and water absorber additive products available to winterize ULSD. Some additive manufacturers offer special additives that will "de-gel" the fuel if gelling has already occurred. If you treat your fuel yourself, be sure to follow the proper treat ratios, and remember that mixing is very important. If you are adding an additive to your tank, you should add it first before filling it up.

Staveley Services Fluids Analysis offers a full line of fuel testing for winter blended fuel and our laboratory in Chicago is EPA approved to perform sulfur analysis for ULSD. As always, Staveley will work with you, the customer, to ensure your ULSD fuel will be ready for the 2007 cold season.

It's never been more important to ensure your fuel meets specifications. Contact us today to learn more about our extensive testing capabilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How reliable for the average diesel car owner is the fuel sold at gas stations?
Do they keep up with the seasonal requirements OK?

I personally don't think anyone really knows yet. Or, what the Winter cold can/will do to the new ULSDF. It appears that some problems exist. I would use a good additive with each fill up.

A lot of uncertainty out there. The old school held on last year to #1. This year as the article states, there will not have it available as has been predicted for a couple of years. Each batch of base fuel from each individual pipeline will be different. Different additives, different percentage of bio. lot of variables. I could go on and on....Bottom line is, if you have to have your vehicle. Better start treating it now. Very cheap insurance and you will do your fuel system a favor.

I've used Stanadyne Performance Formula from day one as it seems to be the only fuel additive with OEM endorsements, several at that, and they make the fuel additive for some OEMs. Also, it is a water demulsifier as opposed to the more popular additives on the market which seem to mostly be emulsifiers. Note that marine diesels go thru a lot of effort to remove water from their fuel.

Below is an email from someone to Stanadyne asking about ULSD.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/archive/index.php/t-118181.html

My E-mail to Stanadyne:

I understand that Stanadyne diesel fuel additives have recently been reformulated for use with the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel. What exactly do the new formulations do that the old ones do not? What is Stanadyne's position about the use of the old formulations with ULSD fuel? I am primarily interested in what I should do with my existing stocks of old Performance Formula and old Lubricity Formula. I have a pre-2007 common rail diesel pickup truck. Thank you for your prompt help! :)

Their reply not one hour later:

THANK YOU for your inquiry! A LOT of folks are asking this question these days, so you are not alone. Essentially the only change Stanadyne has made is to design new labels for our additive line to highlight their use with ULSD. The label also states the compliance with low sulfur content requirements as required by the EPA. I’ve attached some additional information regarding the use of Stanadyne additives with ULSD.

I have even gone a step further with a Heated Racor Fuel Filter with water seperator mounted close to the fuel tank. Plus the stock fuel filter and heater in the engine compartment. I treat the fuel at the start of any cold weather when the first signs of cold appear.

My overkill was in the 80's and the old Ford/International 6.9 Diesel has well over 300K with the original injectors and the engine runs wonderfully. I would suggest a additive with a cold flow,lubricity,and cetane improver. Start early and protect your investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back