Trans problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Lots of issues with the 6L80. He's not alone.

GM has had 6L80E/6L90E issues ironed out since 2012. But.....Please elaborate.

Not that a 2017 Yukon even has a 6L80E, It has a 8L90E.....Different unit altogether!

It seems obvious that folks here do not understand how many of these units are out there. HUGE production numbers.

And 30 units at a busy dealer isn't enough to be concerned about. My bet is they were mostly 8L90's. The 6L trans is in two of our trucks and it has been rock solid. There is some low speed turn clunking on the downshift which we traced to the stupid stability control system! It pulls throttle at the slightest sign of a corner!

Great thread to bash in, though...

You keep saying this about the GM trucks (engine tick as well) so it is conclusive you are either a die hard GM worker or have a large sum of money invested in them?

Truth be told, like I mentioned before, this issue, the engine tick, and others is far more broad/widespread than you want to believe for some reason?

I live in GM town so therefore the majority of Vehicles I see are GM's and know many, personally, who continue to purchase GM trucks who also continue to have ongoing problems, year after year, model after model.
Sure, there are a ton of them out there, but there are also a ton of Fords, Rams etc, who don't have these problems as widespread as GM does.

Many, and I mean many accept these issues without even batting an eye as they believe that the clunks, ticks, vibrating rear ends/diffs, etc, etc, etc, are just the norm and they think they are normal.

Despite what you are likely believing, I am not a GM hater, I am just a frustrated previous GM owner who has experienced many of these issues first hand and that is why I now own a Ram.

We just purchased a 2017 Chev Impala and my wife works for GM, but just because of that, I am not going to hold back or lie and tell people their trucks are great, when the fact remains, GM trucks have had, and still have, many issues that they can never seem to get corrected.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153186-shake-or-vibration-issues/
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/...ks-now-too.html
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/...a-solution.html
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/192456-2016-53l-no-power/
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/gutless-2014-5-3-silverado-77521/

Curious, anyone know the percentage of actual owners who frequent or even know about these forums?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv

Despite what you are likely believing, I am not a GM hater, I am just a frustrated previous GM owner who has experienced many of these issues first hand and that is why I now own a Ram.

The 5.7L Hemi has had more than it's fair share of issues with valvetrain & related components..... Dropping Valve Seats, Broken Valve Springs, "Cast" Camshafts that have no business being used in a "Roller" application going flat, Lifter failures, Timing Chain Tensioner failures.

The "Cast" Camshaft & Lifter Failures are a ongoing problem, And if you have a "Tick".....Chrysler won't do **** about it until it fails!!! And IF you have a Lifter/Cam go down outside of warranty....Your on your own!

I see more 5.7L Hemi's with wiped out Cams than I do GM AFM 5.3L/6.2L engines with wiped out Camshafts.
Sure....The GM AFM lifters go bad/collapse, But the camshafts 99% of the time are perfect because the cam is a nice 5150 steel core.

To be fair.....Some non-AFM GM camshafts had surface hardening issues for a few years '03-'06 that usually caused issues very early in the engines life. I was a Tech at a GM dealership from 1995 though 2009 so I saw this & the worst of the AFM engines.

I am not a Chrysler hater, I've had 3 Cummins powered Dodge trucks. One was a real POS but it was a early 2003 model....It's my fault for buying a early model after a major redesign & the dealers fault for being incompetent.

I didn't read through your links because consumers more often than not are ignorant about things mechanical & it makes my head hurt to decipher that nonsense. Once someone is upset....Being rational goes right out the window.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Lots of issues with the 6L80. He's not alone.

GM has had 6L80E/6L90E issues ironed out since 2012. But.....Please elaborate.

Not that a 2017 Yukon even has a 6L80E, It has a 8L90E.....Different unit altogether!

It seems obvious that folks here do not understand how many of these units are out there. HUGE production numbers.

And 30 units at a busy dealer isn't enough to be concerned about. My bet is they were mostly 8L90's. The 6L trans is in two of our trucks and it has been rock solid. There is some low speed turn clunking on the downshift which we traced to the stupid stability control system! It pulls throttle at the slightest sign of a corner!

Great thread to bash in, though...

You keep saying this about the GM trucks (engine tick as well) so it is conclusive you are either a die hard GM worker or have a large sum of money invested in them?

Truth be told, like I mentioned before, this issue, the engine tick, and others is far more broad/widespread than you want to believe for some reason?

I live in GM town so therefore the majority of Vehicles I see are GM's and know many, personally, who continue to purchase GM trucks who also continue to have ongoing problems, year after year, model after model.
Sure, there are a ton of them out there, but there are also a ton of Fords, Rams etc, who don't have these problems as widespread as GM does.

Many, and I mean many accept these issues without even batting an eye as they believe that the clunks, ticks, vibrating rear ends/diffs, etc, etc, etc, are just the norm and they think they are normal.

We just purchased a 2017 Chev Impala and my wife works for GM, but just because of that, I am not going to hold back or lie and tell people their trucks are great, when the fact remains, GM trucks have had, and still have, many issues that they can never seem to get corrected.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153186-shake-or-vibration-issues/
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/...ks-now-too.html
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/...a-solution.html
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/192456-2016-53l-no-power/
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/gutless-2014-5-3-silverado-77521/

Curious, anyone know the percentage of actual owners who frequent or even know about these forums?
21.gif

Irv, we buy GM 3500 Vans/trucks from an Authorized Factory Upfitter in Massachusetts. We are not GM fans, we are a business that uses them to make money. We do quite well with them. We always have Silverados as well for deliveries.

We buy them brand new and run them to at least 200k miles( all city). Some go much farther than that depending on our level of success and their health. We have only had one bad engine in over a decade. May be longer, but that's all we remember. The trucks are very reliable and cost very little to maintain, they also have fabulous resale value. My experience is based on owning many, not just one or two. I drive a GM 3500 Van almost every day that weighs 9000 pounds every single mile. It has 125k miles on it and runs like a bear all the time. It has had nothing but routine maintenance.

Brand is irrelevant to me. Currently I own RAM, Chrysler, Chevrolet, GMC, and my family buys Fords as well. My experience in over 50 years of vehicle ownership is that dealers can make or break a relationship very easily. I have had terrible experiences at GM dealers which I have posted here. For some reason my RAM dealer seems good, but yet I know clients who have had bad RAM experiences, too. But none of this relates to the large numbers of folks who quietly drive their vehicles without participating in online Forums.

We are currently ordering new trucks and tried to buy one of those cool new Ford vans. Surprise! Ford will not allow my upfitter to install our cleaning equipment without risking warranty coverage. So no Fords this year. GM has no issues and extends us full warranty coverage.

My point is simple, there are literally and without exaggeration millions and millions of GM trucks on the roads. They outsell everyone when you add GMC and Chevy together. Then you factor in the folks who use online forums, which is a far smaller number. This can sometimes convince you of a "problem" and its size or scope when in reality it isn't quite that bad. We all feel bad for others who have experienced massive problems, but they are still a small percentage of owners. This holds true for almost any mass produced brand out there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
How do you push?

"Gimme a double warranty or else I won't buy your vehicle"?

???

He can say he will hold his breath till he gets it.

My sons GMC is still in the shop. We hope the re-build fixes this problem as the Jimmy has been in for this problem at least 20 days this last year. Other warranty issues as well.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My sons GMC is still in the shop. We hope the re-build fixes this problem as the Jimmy has been in for this problem at least 20 days this last year. Other warranty issues as well.

IME here the dealer can easily be the difference in a warranty situation. I have had terrible experiences at my local Chevrolet dealer and my sympathies to anyone who has similar issues...

My son finally got the GMC back, but the problem of low speed clunks still exist but is much less noticeable. The trans was removed, torn down and parts replaced. He seems to be OK with it as long as it doesn't go back to the original problem.

I cant wait for the car to come out that has zero problems, it just works perfectly all the time, every time. I want one.

Edit: I almost forgot, if it does break all I need to fix it is a screwdriver, monkey wrench and a BFH.

Last edited:
the Chrysler torqueflite in the late 60s was some very good trans. then some idiot thought we needed electronics on them. not a good idea. IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I cant wait for the car to come out that has zero problems, it just works perfectly all the time, every time. I want one.

Edit: I almost forgot, if it does break all I need to fix it is a screwdriver, monkey wrench and a BFH.

I don't recall ever having a trans that had a low speed clunk that these trans are apparently now know for.

I don't recall ever having a trans that had a low speed clunk that these trans are apparently now know for.

Especially on a brand new vehicle! That is totally unacceptable to me but judging by Trav's and others comments, I guess that is perfectly acceptable nowadays when it comes to brand new vehicles?
coffee2.gif

Especially on a brand new vehicle! That is totally unacceptable to me but judging by Trav's and others comments, I guess that is perfectly acceptable nowadays when it comes to brand new vehicles?
coffee2.gif

So much tech in reverse these days. You just never know what your going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back