TPMS sensor life

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda Pilot starting giving cold weather problems with TPMS around 9 years and then solid on by 11. I bought 4 new ones from Amazon and had the Sears tire shop put them on along with my new Continentals. All I wanted from them was a physical installation.

They didn't do a great job. They broke one and had to buy me another to get me out the door. I couldn't get any on the left side to sync using the usual routine (drive over 35MPH, let air out of all the tires until the sensors for each wheel come on.)

I rotated the tires and did various things and noticed something loose in one tire. I took it back to Sears and they bought me a second replacement TPMS for that wheel, as it was bouncing around inside.

Finally I took it to my highly skilled local independent, who said my right side new TPMS sensors were fabulous (knew that) but the left sides were there, transmitting, but wouldn't program. At all. He put 2 of the same brand/model on, programmed them instantly, and for the first time in 2 years, the TPMS light stayed off permanently. About $190 parts and labor, IIRC. He seemed surprised when I said "fix it". Most people just put up with the light.

A year had gone by since my purchase, but the Amazon vendor (not Amazon itself) gave me my money back for the 2 bad sensors. I did have to return them first.

What a hassle. I'm not anti-TPMS, but really they should be easy to program and diagnose. When they go bad, they're an amazing hassle. I don't miss them on my old pickup. I can look at the tires and say "hmm needs air" which is what, once a year or so.

If you're lucky enough to be able to retrieve the numbers off your original 4, you can buy a cloned set online for pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back