Toyota's new 4-cylinder engine and CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how they all try to push fuel economy as the most important factor for a car.

Yet people look at other factors first, such as price, comfort, space and looks.

Anyone here that has ever bought a car based on mpg first? Like making a list of available cars, sorting it by mpg, and evaluating only the first 2-3 offers in the top of the list?

CVT, I'd pass.
27.gif
I'd be interested in the early adopter reports though for the engine and transmission.

I miss the days when I could sit on top of my 1973 Bronco's radiator and work on almost every single component of the engine.
smile.gif

I don't buy just based on MPG but I won't buy a car that gets less than about 30 mpg and prefer higher. Both of my cars in my signature meet and exceed this requirement. Even at that 30 mpg figure, there are lots of good vehicles from which to choose!!!

we have CRV in the signature and it constantly gets 26mpg in the city driving; it is cheap to maintain, even cheaper to insure, and its residual value is among the best;
currently at 28K; I checked the CVT fluid last weekend and it looks and smells like new; it is no brainer vehicle regardless of the sentiment in the motor community for the CVTs out there

Anti CVT is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

remerber the automatic transmissions in the late 40s- early 50s. they was VERY bad. i thnk thats where we are with the CVT right now. reff: BOB once my dad was telling me about his friend talking about European cars. when working on then . you touch the part OR see the part but NOT touch it AND see it at the same time.

Last edited:
CVTs were universally declared junk until Toyota and Honda started offering them. Now CVT is a no brainer choice apparently, inherently weaker design not withstanding, and please don't bring up Hybrid CVTs found Toyota lineup as some sort of rebuttal, these are a totally different design from the belt driven ones, despite identical operational feel.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
The freaking valve seats are clad with freaking laser beams!

Yes I noticed that also. Interesting statement.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Anti CVT is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Wonderfully creative!

It seems reasonable to me to consider fuel efficiency as one of the important qualities when buying a car. I've seen so many people that have cellular phone connectivity choices as apparently the ONLY quality that is important to them....I cannot imagine being so narrow in my decision making list.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
The freaking valve seats are clad with freaking laser beams!

Yes I noticed that also. Interesting statement.

Toyota has been working with laser clad valve seats for many years going back to the 2nd-gen MR2. Interesting that they only put the laser clad valve seats on the intake valves. It looks in this engine like they have moved the direct injector closer to the intake valves, and couldn't afford the space that valve seat inserts would take. The exhausts look like they still have pressed-in inserts.

Originally Posted By: red7404
remerber the automatic transmissions in the late 40s- early 50s. they was VERY bad. i thnk thats where we are with the CVT right now. reff: BOB once my dad was telling me about his friend talking about European cars. when working on then . you touch the part OR see the part but NOT touch it AND see it at the same time.

There has been a lot of improvement in CVTs in the last few years. What I am noticing is that some automakers are sticking with the CVT while others are going with newer automatics or dual clutch transmissions.

Times are a changing. Keep all repairs on your manual tranny cars up to snuff, because they are going the way of the dodo bird in new cars sold in the U.S. CVT's are going to be seen on more and more new cars with no MT option.

Looks like a neat solution to those who want the feel of a shifting transmission but, it appears the this approach does not keep the engine at maximum torque for best acceleration or performance. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Looks like a neat solution to those who want the feel of a shifting transmission but, it appears the this approach does not keep the engine at maximum torque for best acceleration or performance. Ed

The Maxima we hired on the 2014 road trip had a CVT.

In sport mode auto, it would out through "the gears", in auto it did it's thing.

The video in the OP is simply using a single gear to get thins moving, then CVT thereafter. It makes a lot of sense to get the highest (engine torque) application, that is the initial start onto gears rather than the bands at the highest torque ratio on the trans as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back