Toyota Yaris 1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oildudeny
It's an okay car many call it a baby Mazda 3. Lease is up soon don't know what to get.

You want another Japanese sub-compact?
If so, I was impressed by the Nissan Sentra. Test drive one.
Personally, I need four wheel drive and I'm looking at a small one for the wife....... Jeep Compass.

This thread has gotten side-tracked. This board room is supposed to be oil filters. So I'm done talking vehicles here, unless an oil filter is needed.

I've been driving this same engine for 13 years. Mine is a Echo hatchback (sold only in Canada, known as the 1st generation Yaris in Europe).

Bought it new in 2005 and still daily driving it to this day.

No need to use anything else but the specified filter. For a few years I used OEM Toyota filter, then switched to regular Wix since I could get them cheaper while still being a good filter.

For oil, it has seen everything from conventional, synth blend and now full synthetic (Mobil 1), but always 5W30. Outside temperatures range from -30 to 30C here (-22 to 86F). I don't feel the need to change what works.

Since this has turned into a listing of what people use in their 1NZ-FE engines, on my old Echo I use the OEM Toyota filters (or sometimes Denso ones), and since about 100,000 miles I've been using M1 0W-20 AFE. There was a cold snap one winter a long time ago and since the grade was back-specified for this engine I used it. It worked fine and I've just continued to use it year-round since.

No consumption difference between that and the 5W-30 I had been using and still runs fine today. I go about 8500 miles between oil changes, sometimes a little longer if I forget. Looking back I went 10,479 on the last change.

Somehow the Scion/Echo version of the 1NZ-FE doesn't have as many issues with oil consumption - the Prius version is a known oil drinker when it gets older.

I've always run 5W-30 and the longer OEM filter or a Fram PH4386 equivalent.

Toyota now specs the 4967 filter on the 2018 Camry 2.5 which should be more than adequate for the 1.5 in the Yaris.

I hacked my ultra open from my identical engine and wow! The filter element is incredibly small. I think a larger size is a good idea especially if your gonna buy the expensive filters and get your moneys worth by running it to 20k which is what i did. Gonna post as soon as i have time to learn how.
My opinion on the thinner 0w20 is I cant see the benefit in using it. 5w30 is already thin. Id rather have some insurance of a little thicker oil to start out with. I suppose ill actually start going the other way myself using 5w 40 or something. I only see European oil in 0w40 at the walmarts around here but 5w40 is there

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bond
I hacked my ultra open from my identical engine and wow! The filter element is incredibly small. I think a larger size is a good idea especially if your gonna buy the expensive filters and get your moneys worth by running it to 20k which is what i did. Gonna post as soon as i have time to learn how.
My opinion on the thinner 0w20 is I cant see the benefit in using it. 5w30 is already thin. Id rather have some insurance of a little thicker oil to start out with. I suppose ill actually start going the other way myself using 5w 40 or something. I only see European oil in 0w40 at the walmarts around here but 5w40 is there

Do you have some sort of usage problem or other issue that you think a 40-grade oil is needed?

And yes, please post the pictures of the cut open filter.

The XG3600 is the way to go, it's twice the size of the original, doesn't hang down. I'm on my third one on the xB, and they've all been flawless.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

The XG3600 is the way to go, it's twice the size of the original, doesn't hang down. I'm on my third one on the xB, and they've all been flawless.

I see. Does it have the same bypass setting or whatever? How does a guy determine that?

You have to realise what you're driving purposes are. It's a Yaris, not a race car. I don't think buying the fanciest filter is a good idea - in this case at least. It's like buying some really expensive batteries for your tv remote; you won't notice anything different.

As far as choosing a different filter than what the engineers recommend, I would also advise against it. They designed the car; they would know which filter is best for it. If you can find a longer one that fits, so can they. It's not like they don't know about longer ones.

OEM Toyota filters are around $6 at the dealership. It looks like an unnecessary risk to go different.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

I see. Does it have the same bypass setting or whatever? How does a guy determine that?
For the XG4967- http://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG...gGQBYACARgDojWbKmAAWAF04ARdGICepAFQgAukA
For the XG3600- http://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG...CMCmUQBoQA0DiAzAGwAMp2iANlVtbfXQjUy-QLpA
14 PSI vs. 12, pretty close, and the bigger filter is going to flow more. I haven't had any startup or drainback issues, either, even running one out to 19,700 miles.

And, as with all extended OCIs and changing filter sizes, etc.-you are taking (IMHO tiny) risk if something was to go wrong. If you are under engine warranty, might be best to stick to regular 5W30 & "rock catcher" Toyota filters (or GASP, Purolator as I did) for 5K OCIs until your warranty is up.

I have an '01 Echo with 240k kms on it. I have used xg4967 and xg3614 and plan to use the xg3600 in the future. They will all fit, the 3600 is just taller than the 3614 which is currently on mine. The gasket on the bigger filters is basically the exact same size as the mounting plate.

I run 5w30 synthetics and the only time she burns oil is when the wife takes her for a few days and drives like a bat out of [censored] on the highway.

The xg's are great, as is this little engine that can.

To whom it may concern, the OEM Toyota filter is a Denso ! Mr. Bond you may run a 5w or 10w30 in Texas but there are some people who live up north in much colder temps who are running a 0 or 5w20. It's been back specd for the 1nz Fe. The USA is a big geographical area with diverse climates.

Thanks for the replies. I live up North and this oil change is time for the cold weather coming. I figure the thinner oil will be better in cold weather and dealing with short in town driving. I will most likely go with a stock Toyota filter.

i have a 10 yaris that Ive been running 0w20 in since I swapped out the factory oil at 1500miles. I'm now at 143k. Real no need to go to a longer filter unless you plan on running them to the absolute limit. I was on a 15k OCI regimen using Amsoil up to just recently. UOAs come back strong, saying I had plenty of life to go another few thousand miles. I always ran the regular length filter.

Now that Amsoil reformulated and my commute (and pay) is much different, I switched to SuperTech HM 0w20 as the VOA compared to the new Amsoil forumulation (to me at least) looks not much different. So I decided to save my money and switch to something I can easily get at my local walmart. I do however run the longer Fram Ultra now as I plan on taking that right to its 20k interval, but I plan to change the oil at 10k intervals for now on. Since the filter is the same price why not go bigger.

I use 5w30 full synthetic year round and the slightly longer yzzf1= Fram 4386. Fram3600 is 5 inches long but bypass setting is not the correct 14 but 12. There is not a problem with adbv because of filter orientation on 1nz Fe. Should be a non issue.

Originally Posted by Audios
The engines are pretty stout. My buddy went almost 17k on Cam2 5/30 semi syn with OE sized Full filter a while back and have had no real issues since, hes probably put about 20k on it since this anaylysis. Of course the analysis was pure poop.

https://imgur.com/a/taGJn

No tbn or tan to help show the full story but the oil stayed in grade and flaspoint is good. I dunno that the long interval on that oil can be to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back