Toyota recalls 1.1 million Corollas, Matrixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this impacts the same model year Pontiac Vibe? Mine is a 2004, but the 2005-2008 are potentially impacted as well.

Once toyota moved beyond cheap cars made good they moved out of their ability to produce what they were known for.

Thanks for posting!

My GF has an '06 Corolla S. AFAIK, the car has been flawless but it's good to know she'll be getting a letter in the mail one of these days.

Ed B.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I wonder if this impacts the same model year Pontiac Vibe? Mine is a 2004, but the 2005-2008 are potentially impacted as well.

The NYT is reporting that 2005–2008 Vibes are being recalled also:

New York Times Article

Quote:
Toyota said on Thursday that it was recalling about 1.1 million 2005–8 Corollas and Matrixes as well as well as almost 162,000 Pontiac Vibes to fix a stalling problem.

Dang! My luck ran out!

33.gif

Good time to shop for a 2005-present Toyota.

No joke. The defect if present, will be fixed, while dealers and private sellers will slash prices as demand drops due to this bad press. Also a good time to buy stock in Toyota (and better when share prices drop lower).

-Spyder

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 05 Corolla. The bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty must have ran out by now. If my car is impacted will they still cover it under the recall?

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I have an 05 Corolla. The bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty must have ran out by now. If my car is impacted will they still cover it under the recall?

Yes, recall has nothing to do with warranty.

You should have no worries. Give your dealer, or Toyota corporate, a call for the piece of mind anyway.

-Spyder

NOTE: If we get back into talking GM/Toyota IPO, Stock, Govt takeover, management, etc. This thread will be locked again for good.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Yes, recall has nothing to do with warranty.

Thanks HTSS_TR and Spyder. I'll be waiting for a letter from Toyota. This news really hit home. Never though there would ever be a recall for my 5 year old car.

Last edited:
Is there usually a time limit with recalls?

That is to ask: "Can I bring the car in 10 years later to get the recall done?"

:)

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

That's why I bought my Camry when I did. No way could I have paid anything close to what I paid for it, for the same car three years ago.

To the poster who asked about time limits, no, there is never a time limit for a safety recall. The recall doesn't go by owner or anything either. If your dealer types your car's VIN into their computer and the recall hasn't been completed on it, regardless of who bought it new or who happened to own it when the recall came out, it'll be fixed.

I had an '84 Cutlass that I bought in 1995. I bought it to an Oldsmobile dealer in 2000 to replace a cracked exhaust manifold (I was in college, didn't have the capability to do it myself). They said that there was a recall from 1986 on the cruise control linkage that had never been completed on that VIN, and asked if I wanted it done. Sure. No charge.

What if the parts to complete the recall go obsolete? Surely, they can't keep them around indefinitely.

I know this happens because Ford issued a recall for some years of the Fox-body Mustang (89-90 maybe?) which added two extensions to the 10-pin connectors which connect the engine harness to the other harness. The story was that the harness was a little too short and the extensions were needed.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=85

Several years ago, I tried to order both of those extensions (they would make it easy to access the signals on the engine harness). I was only able to get one of them from a dealer and the other one I had to get from Green Sales Co. because it was obsolete.

I believe most of the recalled ECUs will be from the cars at the NUMMI plant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Spyder7

That's why I bought my Camry when I did. No way could I have paid anything close to what I paid for it, for the same car three years ago.

The media hysteria over the sticking pedal thing saved me $500 off the seller's asking price (no haggling involved), and we both agreed her initial asking price was already $1,000 below market value. She was cashing in on the slashed dealer pricing on her new Corolla, and the way we worked it the 2 grand I paid for it was taken off the cost of her new Toyota (loyalty trade) on top of what she'd saved already.

So she saved a bundle buying new at that time, and I saved indirectly by buying a used Toyota that wasn't affected by the accelerator issue.

This is just one of those things where some will look at it and go into meltdown panic mode, as the media feeds on it, while the rest of us sit cooly on the sidelines and cash in on the hysteria with a well timed buy. I learned from that to add well publicized recalls to my car shopping toolkit.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back