Toyota President To Beccome Chairman

Jeff, Good point. I think all of the OEMs sooner or later are going to review their current (pun intended LOL) investments in EVs. Especially if the market acceptance of them does not have the growth trajectory that they planned for originally. With GM's continued investment in ICE designs, Stellantis CEO comments about the "lack of consistent charging infrastructure", and obvious changes at VW it seems that many OEMs are trying to hedge their bets so to speak on the futures of their companies.

Toyota has been incredibly successful with their hybrid cars. If you've ever been to a major city all you see is Prius.. I doubt they are unhappy with their contribution to cleaner cars.
+1

One might even call them the pioneers of cleaner cars with the Prius and other hybrids. EV isn't the answer across the board, at least not yet.

Toyota is approaching the EV market in the most rational way of any of the ICE vehicle manufacturers. They know the infrastructure isn’t ready for a full on assault on the EV market…yet. Toyoda will still be the chairman of the board, it’s not like he has been ordered to fall on his sword! I have said before, Toyota will end up being the dominant EV manufacturer in the next one to two decades. Patience grasshopper…..patience!

You may be right, but that's not how it is being received.

I really don’t believe much what the LMSM says anymore.

I like the transition. Koji Sato was running the Lexus division and that has seen some recent changes.

There is also this :

The current chairman, Takeshi Uchiyamada, 76, will step down but remain a board member.

Toyoda, 66, said in a press release that the leadership change was prompted by Uchiyamada's intention to retire, saying, "I felt it would be best for me to become chairman to support the new president in further reforming Toyota."

I really don’t believe much what the LMSM says anymore.

I like the transition. Koji Sato was running the Lexus division and that has seen some recent changes.

There is also this :

The current chairman, Takeshi Uchiyamada, 76, will step down but remain a board member.

Toyoda, 66, said in a press release that the leadership change was prompted by Uchiyamada's intention to retire, saying, "I felt it would be best for me to become chairman to support the new president in further reforming Toyota."

Pardon my ignorance, but what is LMSM?

Edit: I Googled it. No need to answer.

Akio Toyoda will become Chairman, a symbolic post with little influence on business decisions.
Probably long overdue. Akio is responsible for such decisions as Toyota lagging in EV technology and sinking tons of money in hydrogen (Mirai). Not to mention sponsoring poorly designed new vehicles like the new Tundra and Sequoia which have not lived up to the earlier generations.

This change did not come out of thin air. Likely shareholders were demanding change in light of Tesla, Hyundai/KIA and BYD success.
What I am saying is harsh. But true. Toyota is in danger of losing the next generation of buyers. Kids growing up don't say, I want a Toyota hybrid or I want a Mirai. They say, I want a Tesla or some other EV.

I love Toyotas. But what have they done since the incredible Prius? Kudos for the upcoming Prius; it is a sure winner. I love our GS350 F Sport, RWD sport sedan. Very dependable but very old skool. And dead... There is nothing in the Lexus line I find exciting with the exception of the new Prius. The Toyotas will still sell tons of Camrys and Corollas, but I don't see the excitement. Heck, even the wonderful Tacoma gets V8 gas mileage, right?

This is a good first step. I wish Toyota well!

I think the best thing about Toyota is that they're so behind, its why their stuff is still reliable. They've done little innovation on certain models like the Corolla, Camry, 4 runner, etc and still KISS.

All the other MFGS (cough GM) with have car fires from batteries, huge software problems (Tesla), software unlockable ******** (BMW/Mercedes), variable cylinder ignition or whatever that stupid "innovation" is called that is grenading engines left and right.

I agree that gas milage on the truck motors is still poor, but that being said the competition is similar in ICE only engines.

Akio Toyoda will become Chairman, a symbolic post with little influence on business decisions.
Probably long overdue. Akio is responsible for such decisions as Toyota lagging in EV technology and sinking tons of money in hydrogen (Mirai). Not to mention sponsoring poorly designed new vehicles like the new Tundra and Sequoia which have not lived up to the earlier generations.

This change did not come out of thin air. Likely shareholders were demanding change in light of Tesla, Hyundai/KIA and BYD success.
What I am saying is harsh. But true. Toyota is in danger of losing the next generation of buyers. Kids growing up don't say, I want a Toyota hybrid or I want a Mirai. They say, I want a Tesla or some other EV.

I love Toyotas. But what have they done since the incredible Prius? Kudos for the upcoming Prius; it is a sure winner. I love our GS350 F Sport, RWD sport sedan. Very dependable but very old skool. And dead... There is nothing in the Lexus line I find exciting with the exception of the new Prius. The Toyotas will still sell tons of Camrys and Corollas, but I don't see the excitement. Heck, even the wonderful Tacoma gets V8 gas mileage, right?

This is a good first step. I wish Toyota well!

Toyota was number one in sales worldwide for 2022. I believe that is the third straight year for them. They are consistently at or near the top every year.

They must be doing something right?

Toyota has been incredibly successful with their hybrid cars. If you've ever been to a major city all you see is Prius.. I doubt they are unhappy with their contribution to cleaner cars.
The Prius is the de facto cab or Uber(not so much these days, HyunKia and Nissan rule Uber/Lyft now) in many major cities.

But Toyota has been great on resting on their laurels(the long product cycles) - if they made a BEV follow up to the Prius, Tesla would have never existed. Akio did breathe some life back into Toyota but he wasn’t too much of change from Watanabe. Personally, what if one of the Toyota USA execs took over, or even Mark Templin? Heck, Toyota should lure Jim Farley back from Ford and install him as CEO.

Back