Toyota Dealer Coated Brake Calipers During Service - for Anti-Corrosion?

My dad brought his Camry in for brake service work at the Toyota dealer. I was looking at the car after the work was done to see what they did. I saw that they cleaned up the corrosion on the calipers and brackets and coated it with something. They looked way better than before (and no, they were not new calipers - yes I am sure). It almost looks like a charcoal gray or black coating, like a rust converter. I am assuming is some sort of anti-corrosion coating, and I curious how well it will hold up over a winter.

Calipers, even the ones on brand new cars that are zinc coated, sometimes will rust in as little as a year in my environment. I know it's cosmetic, but I hate the look of rusty calipers. So, I am curious what coating Toyota used, as I might start using it on my vehicles when I service the brakes.

I have red coated calipers from the factory. aluminum under that so not prone to rust, but the caliper bracket at the rear is iron and even that never rusted. zinc coated calipers don"t survive a single year without looking rusty and old.

The coating used looks like a powder coating, thick, hard and shiny. It hides any surface roughness so brake dust just wipes off too.

My dad brought his Camry in for brake service work at the Toyota dealer. I was looking at the car after the work was done to see what they did. I saw that they cleaned up the corrosion on the calipers and brackets and coated it with something. They looked way better than before (and no, they were not new calipers - yes I am sure). It almost looks like a charcoal gray or black coating, like a rust converter. I am assuming is some sort of anti-corrosion coating, and I curious how well it will hold up over a winter.

Calipers, even the ones on brand new cars that are zinc coated, sometimes will rust in as little as a year in my environment. I know it's cosmetic, but I hate the look of rusty calipers. So, I am curious what coating Toyota used, as I might start using it on my vehicles when I service the brakes.
Is there a Line-item on the invoice as to the service they provided? And if so, how much?

Unless there is something in the parts list - anything we say would be a guess.

Go over and see if the tech will tell you.

My guess is something like cast blast.

assuming techs are paid the same way in Canada as the US id be surprised if it was anything very fancy without a charge.

It seems very strange to me that they would do this unless they rebuilt the calipers because they had no stock of new and determined that rebuilding needed done instead.

Otherwise, take off working calipers, or not, do them on-vehicle? It does not make sense that any extra time would be spent doing this if not billable. It seems more like something you would get offered at a quick change oil place where they try to upsell a service not really needed, even if they do look nicer as a result.

I don't have a problem with it happening of course (why would I?) but something does not add up. Is it possible that your father replaced the calipers without your knowing about it, before this brake service? How are you certain they are not new or at least newer than the factory calipers? Granted, they wouldn't replace them without billing for that too, but I mean if they were replaced prior to this brake job. Maybe your father did this on his own with some navel jelly or whatever before this point in time? It might be bandits that come in the middle of the night and have this thing about rust, an OCD compulsion to eradicate it on Toyotas. ;)

Wait, let's back up a minute. Do you mean the entire caliper had this coating, or only on the critical areas of contact like the slide rails? I could see a tech using a wire wheel or whatever to clean up the slide rails, slap some naval jelly on, let it sit while getting other parts ready and lube slider pins, etc, wipe it off, and then grease them up. That wouldn't take a lot more time to do if the tech is good at multi-tasking. It's still strange. ;)

You can do whatever you want to your calipers when you service the brakes. I appreciate wondering what they did but your options are basically sand blast with the boot covered or wire wheel around it, clean dust off, phosphoric acid and/or paint... OR you could just slap some moly grease on them, not even necessarily removing the rust, not too close to the brake pads so you don't contaminate them, and let heat eventually turn that into varnish.

I'm fortunate that I don't care if the exterior of my calipers looks rusty on a pedestrian vehicle. I feel the same way about rotors, though I want ceramic pads so my wheels don't get all spotted up and/or eat away at the clearcoat.

Like I said in the original post, I am 100% sure they are original. In fact, I can see pit marks from the corrosion under the coating. The invoice just spells out shop supplies.

I thought maybe Toyota maybe had a standard spray for a rust belt car brakes. I highly doubt the tech sprayed them just to be nice. When I worked in the business decades ago, our parts had a standard supply kit that went with every brake service.

Like I said in the original post, I am 100% sure they are original. In fact, I can see pit marks from the corrosion under the coating. The invoice just spells out shop supplies.

I thought maybe Toyota maybe had a standard spray for a rust belt car brakes. I highly doubt the tech sprayed them just to be nice. When I worked in the business decades ago, our parts had a standard supply kit that went with every brake service.
Not to harp on that point but if you suspect it's the original because you see pitting alone, that's not really a reliable indicator, plenty of reman calipers will have pitting under whatever weather coating they feature, the reman companies get cores in all kinds of grades of corrosion, all they do is blast the oxidation off and acid bath any cores before they do their coating, they don't fill in any pitting, in other words don't assume that reman calipers won't have pitting and markings from overall corrosion.

What you describe (a gray/black coating) is a particularly common color in reman calipers, but if they had replaced it with reman calipers I'm not sure why the invoice wouldn't show this. Are you sure it wasn't maybe replaced at another shop sometime between this visit and when you last saw it?

They are original - 100% sure is pretty clear. They were not replaced. Only the pads and rotors were replaced as per the invoice and my observations.

I will just ask the Toyota dealer next time I have a chance.

Nope not remans. There is some over-spray which is how I know they are coated. This isn't my first rodeo and these posts are not helpful.
Well you didn’t mention that, there are no pictures and it’s something I at least have never heard of, so it’s natural we question your claims.

Since there is overspray I would say it’s probably some flat high temp paint, not some special Toyota coating.

Well you didn’t mention that, there are no pictures and it’s something I at least have never heard of, so it’s natural we question your claims.

Since there is overspray I would say it’s probably some flat high temp paint, not some special Toyota coating.
True, I didn't take pics, but for it is not helpful when I have stated multiple times I am certain they are original and everyone seems to ignore that fact.

Maybt paint is all that it is, although it does look more translucent than typical l high temp paint. I have just never seen a shop do that before, especially a dealership.

True, I didn't take pics, but for it is not helpful when I have stated multiple times I am certain they are original and everyone seems to ignore that fact.

Maybt paint is all that it is, although it does look more translucent than typical l high temp paint. I have just never seen a shop do that before, especially a dealership.

A close up picture would’ve been nice. Whatever they used must’ve been fast drying, maybe the translucent effect is from a very thin coat?

Reactions: D60
The only plausible explanation remaining is that you have time shifted into an alternate universe and that's not really your father and some details like the car, and shops wanting to do unneeded work they don't get paid for, have changed as well. :)

Not sure, what the deal did but probably a rust convert.

I am in the rust area, Montreal , QC and I clean my up with a simple electrolysis process,
KagQ8CHh.png

after 24 hours, un-treated vs treated caliper.

W6thQavh.png

this was just 1 st step in my rebuild process.

Not sure, what the deal did but probably a rust convert.

I am in the rust area, Montreal , QC and I clean my up with a simple electrolysis process,
KagQ8CHh.png

after 24 hours, un-treated vs treated caliper.

W6thQavh.png

this was just 1 st step in my rebuild process.
Good call, likely a rust converter. Now thar you say that, it did look like a rust converter spray, not like paint.

Back