Toyota CVT filter?

Is this a strainer or an actual filter? Weighing how much I want to open it up... I suspect I should, as it gets more fluid out. Had this been changed at 30k maybe a simple drain would suffice.

But once I change it the first time, is there value in a future filter change? Initial debris out, so... no further need?

Actual filter, and transmissions wear and shed particles their whole life.

200.JPG

Looks to be more than a strainer, thanks. My other Toyotas have strainers and its a bit dubious as to value of changing IMO.

Is this a strainer or an actual filter? Weighing how much I want to open it up... I suspect I should, as it gets more fluid out. Had this been changed at 30k maybe a simple drain would suffice.

But once I change it the first time, is there value in a future filter change? Initial debris out, so... no further need?
if its anything like the CVT in my daughters Nissan, it has a pickup strainer and it has a real cartridge type filter on the case of the transmission,

No, it's nothing like the CVTs in Nissans. These actually last beyond 100,000 miles.
well, I have no idea how long the sucker will last. it has 85k on it now.. it is worth saying the Nissan CVT has 2 filters, is basically sealed so I suspect most people have never changed the oil or filters in their Nissan CVt.. whereas I have.. LOL...

Which car the new Corolla or the new Camry?

well, I have no idea how long the sucker will last. it has 85k on it now.. it is worth saying the Nissan CVT has 2 filters, is basically sealed so I suspect most people have never changed the oil or filters in their Nissan CVt.. whereas I have.. LOL...
Had two Versas that had to have the transmissions replaced before 100,000 miles. And the person I sold one of them to let me know a year and a half later that the new one was acting up too. Nissan only warranties they replacements for 12 months which tells you something.

Had two Versas that had to have the transmissions replaced before 100,000 miles. And the person I sold one of them to let me know a year and a half later that the new one was acting up too. Nissan only warranties they replacements for 12 months which tells you something.
My new 2014 Rogue Select CVT trans fluid looked like it had mud on the tip of the trans dipstick so I got that fluid out at 14K miles. Noticed that dirt as I was keeping an eye on fluid level. It moved a lot as it heated: Off the bottom of the stick in freezing temps, and a 1/2" over full when hot after a 30 mile commute.
Drove the thing as hard as anyone could with manual shifting** and downshifting for engine braking, wide open throttle "upshifts" and rolling in neutral down hills., The thing was running strong at 67K when I traded it in. I would have kept it but I couldn't buy an aftermarket extended service contract that would cover CVT.

I didn't think to try Nissan though. Duh !

2013-nissan-rogue-.jpg

drain/fill every 60k, ignore the filter. congrats on the new Corolla!! Prepare to be bored in relative comfort :)
Thanks! I like to joke that I feel like I'm stepping into the 21st century. Which is true--going from a '99 Camry--which was the pinnacle of 1993 engineering--so I am stepping back into this century in a very big way (my last "new" vehicle for me was a base model '10 Tundra, no backup camera etc).

I've been tempted to just D&F, some question about how much the magnet loads up, and what the filter loads up to. Thing is, if the filter is full... hard to say what that means, they all shed, and if it slows down shedding maybe the next filter won't be so bad. OTOH if it's failing then no amount of PM is going to stop that.

Which car the new Corolla or the new Camry?
Corolla. Have had the Camry for a while. That needs a trans flush too, but as an eCVT I'm far less worried about it. I just need to get a shopping list together for both of them and go do the work.

Found this thread makes it look more than just the old strainer that I've had in the past on other vehicles.

Yeepers is that fluid expensive. I haven't checked the dealer but it looks like Toyota wants around $120 for 4L. On this transmission it's just over 4L for a filter change. And it's upwards of $50 for the filter.

Stopped at the dealership to sort out my key fob. Parts guy was very determined to deter me from touching the CVT, said Toyota doesn't want the dealership to think about a fluid change until 100k, and even then, to not recommend.

Wasn't going to get into a "discussion" with the parts guy, he was really nice and helpful with the key fob.

Toyota can be moronic. I brought my Yaris in for a brake bleed as the pedal was soft and low.
Service advisor said "Toyota doesn't want us bleeding the brakes it's ruining the master cylinder and ABS". I said - but my brakes don't work properly! He showed me the TSB.that mentioned something about pressure bleeders. I said just bleed the brakes! he said "can't".
I said I'll do it myself. I left with smoke coming out my ears ... and my tires - never to return.

You don't need toyota fluid. Toyota doesn't make cvt fluid.

Simply chose a good, proper spec fluid form a major brand like Valvoline or Idemitsu.

Biggest issue is maintaining the proper fluid level as it changes drastically with temperature- cold to hot. At least it did on my nissan.

Biggest issue is maintaining the proper fluid level as it changes drastically with temperature- cold to hot. At least it did on my nissan.
Never understood that. Not having it too high or low, that's easy. Few mL either way? Car engine doesn't care +/-1qt, at least if you aren't driving hard.

I might just get some Aisin fluid off Rock and do a drain and fill. I've been driving really conservatively, hey it's rated for 38mpg and I'm turning 40 over a couple of half tanks. It's living a gentle life.

Back