Toyota Corolla Valvoline Synpower 5W30 6,250 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
New engine ,it looks great and will get better it really is a waste to uoa a new engine unless there is a suspected problem .You will just watch the numbers go down or stabilize. What I enjoy is after 3 or 4 oil changes on a new engine someone trys syn. oil then looks at the previous numbers and brags how the new syn oil has lower wear numbers .The advantage of syn oil is the long oil change intervals.But then it is your $$$$.

Steve, I guess it is just because I enjoy doing the uoa's and see how everything is doing, even though it is new and I know nothing is going on, just like to do it.

Trust me I wish I had the old drive I used to have and would run my syn oils a minimum of 10K and really really wanted to run the amsoil 15K minimum but not goin gto happen now unless I move further away again.

addy, i guess with all the city driving and short trips it did ok for a bogo oil.

I agree that the shearing isn't a big deal. I guess its more an 'appearance thing' - it makes the oil 'look' weak, as it 'broke down'.....

I have the same engine in my vibe. I have 8500 miles on a mobil 1 mix. It's been 5 months. I just checked the oil this past saturday, it hasn't burned a drop yet! first engine I've had that didn't use any oil so far. first sign to me with oil shearing, is when your engine is burning it.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I have the same engine in my vibe. I have 8500 miles on a mobil 1 mix. It's been 5 months. I just checked the oil this past saturday, it hasn't burned a drop yet! first engine I've had that didn't use any oil so far. first sign to me with oil shearing, is when your engine is burning it.

Me too. Same engine in an 08 Corolla and hasn't burned a drop yet as it just hit 9,000 miles. Been running PP 5w-30 since break in and now running SS0 0w-30 for the winter.

Have not used any oil or consumed any oil since I got the car with 50 miles on it.

I check the stick regularly and it is always on the full line.

When I did the round trip drive to VA and back twice in two weeks, 1100 miles each trip, no loss of oil either.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Not only are the 5W-20 grades usually not on sale, but the 5W-20 YB is MORE expensive at Wal-Mart than the other grades (in the quart sizes). 5W-30 YB was $3.5x as I recall, but the 5W-20 YB was $4.2x per quart. PP was $5.99 per quart, for all grades, as I recall.

The Corolla only takes 4 quarts as I recall, but at those prices, it makes sense to buy the 5-quart jugs. YB is still $12 for the big jug (all grades), but my Wal-Mart has finally "upgraded" the price of PP to $23 for the big jug.

My 08 takes 4.5 quarts

Originally Posted By: Pesca

Should the silicon decrease in this OCI? Still the same number but it is the third oil change, it should decrease each time, no? Or there is a saturation thing going on with gasket silicon?

actually it was the 5th oil change

oil changes at:
300 miles
500 miles
1600 miles
5500 or so miles

my gf has an 05 corrola auto and it burns about 1/2 qt every 4-5k miles. it has 117k miles on it. we have been running YB the last few oil changes. one thing, the motor vibrates/shakes more now than ever before. we have checked exhaust pipe hooks and all is well.. dont know what the issue is as of now.. its up to date on all services according to the manual.. either way, its a good lil car.

Last edited:
I'd check the motor mounts-usually there is a very large motor mount between the radiator and the engine, and smaller mounts in back or on the sides. Take the big one on first
Sometimes it is difficult to tell when one has cracked, as the rubber seals the crack perfectly when it has not expanded. Take a look under the hood when it is vibrating-is the motor jumping around, and can you see a crack with a flashlight on it?
MAybe a trip to the lift is in order where you can get really close with a shop light
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back