Toyota 4.0L v-6, Mobil 1 AP, 20k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, GF5 has no business in A3/B4 territory. Those iron numbers are not all that healthy.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Viscosity just barely starting to thicken up just a bit... So that's a sign it was just about done. Nothing wrong with that after 20k miles of running.

Who knows, the oil could have sheared 10k ago and thickened back up to this. No way of knowing.

69 ppm Fe in 20000 miles may be a bit high.
How many months of oil life in use, TS?
M1 EP at 15000 miles may be an alternative ,I guess.

Being the fact this oil was run for that long... I would not be thrilled with the idea that it could very easily go into the rapid oxidation phase and rapid ascent of viscosity happening as well in short order. Now, if this sample was at 10k miles then that would change the circumstance greatly. But that's not what is going on here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bwalker
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
The issues with the air filter and subsequent higher silicon has contributed to your higher wear metals. I would concentrate on sorting that before increasing your OCI again. Further, I would look at a different brand of air filter while employing some filter grease.
I replaced the OEM filter with a Napa Gold/Wix today. I greased the gasket and tighted the clamp between the air box and the intake manifold.
The air box did not appear to be very dirty so I am hoping it was just the gasket deficiency I noted in my initial post.
When I went from the OEM Motorcraft filter to a Napa Gold in my 2010 FX4 and added filter grease, I saw a significant reduction in silicon. I towed throughout CO, NM, MT, and WY in dusty to extremely dusty environments so I can empathize. I am betting you will see a good improvement.

Iron is not that high for the miles. Can be from corrosive issues too. And Al and Cu is low. And its viscosity did hold up pretty good for sure. I would like to see how Mobil1 0w-40 fs looks after 20k miles..

If 11 is the universal average for FE @5800 miles that puts it on track to be around 38 at 20,000.

BTW, you can log into your Blackstone account and create a report without the personal info.

More false claims from M1, you'd be crazy to run that mediocre oil for 20K in any vehicle that you care about. Those Fe and Al numbers are horrible compared to any other oil report on this engine. I love how the M1 fanboys keep doing their best to justify these ridiculous marketing claims!!

Originally Posted By: zeng
69 ppm Fe in 20000 miles may be a bit high.
How many months of oil life in use, TS?
M1 EP at 15000 miles may be an alternative ,I guess.

Approximately 7 months.

This vehicle is driven in incredibly dusty conditions. Along with lites of highway cruising at 90mph and alot of time in 4wd.
I have also checked the air filter and the seal lip was a bit buggered up on the OEM air filter. The band clamp to the intake was a bit loose as well, but didnt appear to be leaking. I plan to resample at 10K and see what it looks like.
Any comments?

I'd cut the OCI in half after fixing the air intake tract leaks and resample at that duration. If things look more respectable, I'd then try 15K and then 20K again once you know you don't have a source of foreign contaminants.

That's a big issue with extended OCI's, you have that much longer where an issue, like your intake tract leak, can persist unchecked, and because the oil isn't changed, you aren't flushing out those contaminants. That leads to wear, which I believe we are seeing evidence of with the elevated iron numbers.

Your noted usage profile really isn't the issue here, and may in fact be fine with this OCI length with a properly sealed intake tract.

Thanks,cold temp wear isn't an issue here and you'd spotted right with air intake problem.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would blank out your personal details.

When I lived in Montana, we never cared about that stuff.

Come on up and be a new friend.....
if friendship isn't the goal, you'd be target practice.

Yes sir but this is the Internet. There is no law west of the www. and no God at .com. (Paraphrase there)

Well, Mobil says this oil will survive 20k; and with a 1.4 TBN and still in grade at 20k, it did survive.

Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: zeng
Thanks,cold temp wear isn't an issue here and you'd spotted right with air intake problem.

The truck is parked in a garage while at home, but does sit outside while I am at work and the temps are below zero for significant periods of time. Not sure if this is a factor or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This vehicle is driven in incredibly dusty conditions. Along with lites of highway cruising at 90mph and alot of time in 4wd.
I have also checked the air filter and the seal lip was a bit buggered up on the OEM air filter. The band clamp to the intake was a bit loose as well, but didnt appear to be leaking. I plan to resample at 10K and see what it looks like.
Any comments?

I'd cut the OCI in half after fixing the air intake tract leaks and resample at that duration. If things look more respectable, I'd then try 15K and then 20K again once you know you don't have a source of foreign contaminants.

That's a big issue with extended OCI's, you have that much longer where an issue, like your intake tract leak, can persist unchecked, and because the oil isn't changed, you aren't flushing out those contaminants. That leads to wear, which I believe we are seeing evidence of with the elevated iron numbers.

Your noted usage profile really isn't the issue here, and may in fact be fine with this OCI length with a properly sealed intake tract.

Any idea how long silica will stay in the oil given residual carry over? Assuming the problem is fixed do you expect silica would return to normal for the first sample at 10k?

Last edited:
So.... no oil analysis prior to the 20k sample? You got balls.

It would be interesting to see if the oil first sheared towards the end of its life and is now thickening back up as it oxidizes.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Any comments?

Any idea how long silica will stay in the oil given residual carry over? Assuming the problem is fixed do you expect silica would return to normal for the first sample at 10k?

You would flush the majority of it out with the change. You would expect more normal readings on the 10K OCI, if they are not, then at least you haven't run 20K with an intake tract leak
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
So.... no oil analysis prior to the 20k sample? You got balls.

It would be interesting to see if the oil first sheared towards the end of its life and is now thickening back up as it oxidizes.

Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back