Towing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to add that If the van is still under warranty, Honda may deny a transmission warranty claim if a tow hitch is installed without a tranny cooler. Read this on the Odyclub forum. I have the HF 4X8 folding trailer and it has held up well. Several trips from Colorado to California and also use it camping etc. Still running the original chinese tires that came with it.

That would be a very bouncy, lite, single axle trailer. Put MIL on to help weigh it down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
That's such a small amount of weight, it shouldn't cause problems.

Wind drag also comes into the equation, especially on the highway... but if it's a low and narrow trailer it's less important.

I'd worry about the HF trailer more than the van. The van will be fine with that small load as is. I would spend the money on 2 spare tires for the trailer - those little tires will probably be going 100 mph if the van is going the speed limit lol.

There are several people around here using HF trailers for years and there's been no bearing problems. They usually ditch the tires for better quality ones as soon as the originals show about 50% wear.

I've been told they're good for 60-65 mph but faster than that is not a good idea. Also, take the bearings apart on a new trailer, clean them and repack them with good grease and new seals.

Oh, and finally remove anything that would identify them as a HF trailer. You wouldn't want your neighbors to know, would you?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I'd worry about the HF trailer more than the van. The van will be fine with that small load as is. I would spend the money on 2 spare tires for the trailer - those little tires will probably be going 100 mph if the van is going the speed limit lol.

My trailer completely hid behind the car! It's narrower and quite short so you can't see it. Also having a short wheelbase it jackknifes easily backing up. Still a better choice than a rooftop cargo thing.

My HF 4x8 disappears behind my Tundra. It's a bit of a joke. But I got the trailer before the truck, and still use the trailer occasionally.

I did replace bearings once, as I didn't repack and water did get in. HF had the best prices on seals and bearings. Like, $5 per when NAPA wanted $20 per. It's a metric sized bearing. That was also ten years ago, things might have changed since then.

Edit: yeah it jackknives very easily. OTOH it's pretty light, so a number of times I'll just pull into the yard and move by hand, if it's empty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5077198-derale-heavy-duty-transmission-cooler-18500-gvw.html
Just don't bypass the original trans cooler in the radiator. You WANT the trans fluid to be around coolant temperature. A good trans cooler setup will give you the thermal envelope you want for towing while not overcooling the fluid.

That being said,

That Honda Odyssey was engineered to be able to tow 3500lbs. You are looking at putting a load of less than 750lbs on it. Statistically speaking, you're more likely to have a transmission issue caused by some fault in the aftermarket trans cooler installation (creating fault points of added hose clamps, rubber hoses, decreased transmission line pressure, etc) than you would if you left it alone.

So leave it alone.
This^^^^^.

Those HF trailers are ok for hauling lighter loads.
I would definitely take the hubs apart and clean and repack the bearings with good quality grease before any long trips.
I've seen these hubs from the factory come with very little grease, doesnt matter is a China made HF or US made trailer.
Also definitely get a spare wheel/tire.
Most trailer tires are only speed rated up to 65 mph, so keep the speed reasonable.
Check the tire pressure, inflate to the max pressure on the tire sidewall. Under inflated tires will flex more and run hot, which leads to failure.

I would not worry about a transmission oil cooler with such a small trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back