Toughest Performance Based Certs for oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
Is there any major difference between A3/B3-12 and A3/B3-16?

The ACEA site, and maybe even Lubrizol, will have bulletins outlining the changes.

Yeah - like trying to find black coffee at a Starbucks in Manila - they all drink the concoctions (blends
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Honda HTO-06 is a good spec to meet if you are concerned with turbocharged gasoline engines.

LL-01 contains an N20 turbo test and is a far more comprehensive approval than HTO-06.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Thanks all.

Thats what i was wondering. If a score of 8 on wear for dexos and a score of 8 for a3b3 imply roughly equal wear protection.

My interest was in numbers on gm 4718m which 10w30s carry. I did not see that on the web site. I wanted to compare it to dexos.

Was there ever or is there a spec that requires 10 out of 10 on wear ?

What do you mean 10 out of 10? No wear? that is impossible.
The thing is the anti wear capabilities of an oil are not mesured in a x/10 scale.

Remember Dexos 1 is a fuel economy, passenger car oil with a HTST of >2.9. GM recommend Dexos2 for performance applications, as it is designed for diesels and has a HTST of >3.5. Dexos2 is also mid-SAPS oil (B4.) In Aus, Shell don’t even bother retailing a Dexos1 spec oil and only sell Dexos2.

As others have said VW 504/507 is a great one to look for, for a hard wearing (HTST >3.5) oil for use in performance applications. It’s also a Mid/low SAPS oil (
Both these specs tend to have very low NOACK and high VI. Great for high temp and demand applications. After using Dexos2 and 504/507 compliant Helix Ultra oils in my Saab 9-5 turbo for the last 18-months (25,000kms, 4 oil changes.) I've deffinitly noticed a difference in fuel economy, engine noise and oil consumption. Better in all cases.

Regards
Jordan

I don't think I've seen any VW 504/507 speced oil what makes that spec so good for performance?

Mobil 1 FS 0w40 specs VW 502 00/505 00.

Last edited:
For readily available full-SAPS oils, LL-01 is probably the most stringent certification. I haven't bothered researching low/mid-SAPS oils, as my fleet is not direct injected. Most oils with the "holy trio" of A40, LL-01, and 229.5 are going to be top quality products that prioritize performance and longevity over fuel economy and emissions.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
For readily available full-SAPS oils, LL-01 is probably the most stringent certification. I haven't bothered researching low/mid-SAPS oils, as my fleet is not direct injected. Most oils with the "holy trio" of A40, LL-01, and 229.5 are going to be top quality products that prioritize performance and longevity over fuel economy and emissions.

Yep, true that.

Lets rank them for clarity (gasoline engine, full saps for U.S. markets):

Low HTHS applications (typical U.S., Japanese, Korean vehicles):
1. LL-01 FE usually BMW-branded 0w20 or 0w30
2. dexos1 Gen2
3. dexos1 Gen1
4. SN GF-5

High HTHS applications (German vehicles usually)
1. Porsche A40
2. MB 229.5
3. LL-01 (or LL-01FE for many BMWs)
4. VW 502.0/505.0

I'm not completely sure about the order in the German engine list.

Use the HTHS and SAE viscosity (0w20, 0w30, 5w30, etc.) the engine maker recommends.

This is way too much info for most:
http://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Specification_Handbook.pdf

The Lubrizol relative performance tool is easier to deal with.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yep, true that.

Lets rank them for clarity (gasoline engine, full saps for U.S. markets):

Low HTHS applications (typical U.S., Japanese, Korean vehicles):
1. LL-01 FE usually BMW-branded 0w20 or 0w30
2. dexos1 Gen2
3. dexos1 Gen1
4. SN GF-5

High HTHS applications (German vehicles usually)
1. Porsche A40
2. MB 229.5
3. LL-01 (or LL-01FE for many BMWs)
4. VW 502.0/505.0

I'm not completely sure about the order in the German engine list.

Use the HTHS and SAE viscosity (0w20, 0w30, 5w30, etc.) the engine maker recommends.

This is way too much info for most:
http://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Specification_Handbook.pdf

The Lubrizol relative performance tool is easier to deal with.

Well put. And for those wanting to stay in the ACEA C3 specification: look for oils meeting LL-04, 504 00/507 00, 229.51, and C30. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30 are two great options.

Regarding the direct injection petrol engines. In fact, in Europe Nissan recommends to use A3/B4 for it's 1.2 DIG-T engine which is used in Qashqai and Pulsar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back