Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W30 - Synthetic or not?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
It used to be full synthetic PAO, util a reformulation in 2013...unfortunately I found this out after this thread got started.

Untill 2010-2013 most brands had true (group 4 PAO and Group 5 esters) synthetics. Unfortunately the last few years have changed the situation dramatically...

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
I strongly doubt this brand has any real synthetic oil, group 3 hydrocracked "synthetic technology" would be the best you can expect from Total.

Unfortunately that's what I always thought from Total. Like some of their oils though
smile.gif

In the last years Total became the cheapest oil in Europe mostly for the cheap hydrocracked basestocks used and the fact that they produce their oils almost in all parts of Europe making their oils massively available. Having in mind you live in France and have access to French-made Total, it's quite possible to have good results with Total oils.

In fact, regarding 5W40 or 5W30 oils, bought locally, Shell is cheaper than Total. You have to buy in Germany French-made Total oil and have it delivered to France to get better prices than Shell (how ironic! The joys of French imposition maybe, or abuse of French stores margins maybe).

I'm liking their 10W50 in my diesel though, and I think I'm going to put some Quartz 9000 Enegy 5W40 in the Barchetta next time...it is so cheap!

I was planning the Q9000 Energy 0W30 in both Mitsu, but now I'm not so sure, maybe I'll keep something more "exotic" like Petronas, or Motul 300V, will depend on what I find next time.

In fact, regarding 5W40 or 5W30 oils, bought locally, Shell is cheaper than Total. You have to buy in Germany French-made Total oil and have it delivered to France to get better prices than Shell (how ironic! The joys of French imposition maybe, or abuse of French stores margins maybe).

I'm liking their 10W50 in my diesel though, and I think I'm going to put some Quartz 9000 Enegy 5W40 in the Barchetta next time...it is so cheap!

I was planning the Q9000 Energy 0W30 in both Mitsu, but now I'm not so sure, maybe I'll keep something more "exotic" like Petronas, or Motul 300V, will depend on what I find next time.

Yeah, maybe because Shell nowadays is another brand whose products for the european market are made everywhere in Europe...Won't comment on how this reflects on quality...

Total's 10W-50 is an oil that I have always been tempted to use, but 100% group 3 "synthetic technology" composition and ridiculously low prices have always turn me back. Maybe in the future.
I'm sure 9000 0W-30 won't hurt anything in those small Mitsu engines, I know many people using Total oils with absolutely no lubrication-related problems. Petronas seems to make some decent oils, I have used only their Syntium Racer X1 10W-60 in the race car and so far so good...Motul 300V is a gorgeous oil (one of my all-time favourites), but it is above all a race oil, maybe not the best option for a street driven not highly upgraded civil car. You know - short change intervals, high prices...

Do you still think 300V is a great oil? Its formulation has changed over the years, less ester, etc...

Am I wrong thinking Yacco is now selling under its name the high end Total products?

I would like to see a recent oil analysis for Yacco 1600 though...

the total oil was also sold as a Elf, and as a Nissan oil. There could be others. the nissan and elf changed formulation at the same time.

I can't easily find Yacco oil here
frown.gif

I found 2 UOA on the russian forum for the yacco. One in a petrol x-trail, one in a diesel bmw. In the x-trail about 10% viscosity loss after +-5000 miles, in the diesel 20%.

Do you still think 300V is a great oil? Its formulation has changed over the years, less ester, etc...

Am I wrong thinking Yacco is now selling under its name the high end Total products?

You man make me a difficult question...I think 300V is still a great oil, but unfortunately "winds of change" altered it's superb formulas and not for good...Nevertheless I'm absolutely sure you would have best results using it, although it's not what it used to be...
I think I get what you mean respect Yacco oils - yes, they are part of Total Group, but still Yacco is Yacco. This brand (Yacco) has always used highest quality basestocks, their race line is still one of the strongest available in Europe oils market...Don't know about you, but I have always had very good performance using Yacco Galaxie race line oils, no place for comparason with Total oils, although the same company... I hope beeing of some use, congrats.

I found 2 UOA on the russian forum for the yacco. One in a petrol x-trail, one in a diesel bmw. In the x-trail about 10% viscosity loss after +-5000 miles, in the diesel 20%.

In a city driven (diesel) car it's more than natural to lose 10-20% of viscozity in (winter) city driving for 5000 miles...What other oils doesn't?..Many folks change their oils at that interval or lower (and not mistaken). Quality of (russan) fuels counts also...

Last edited:
Would quality of fuels (in sulfur content?) promote shear-thinning?
I would not think so, though I could be wrong.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
blush.gif

The lower the quality of a fuel the biggest the chance of fuel dilution (due to unburnt fuel mostly), fuel dilution is first factor in oil chemistry destruction (believe it or not), so I would not say fuels quality is totally irrelevant in engine's performance and oils'performance either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
blush.gif

Do you really think fuels quality have no relation with engine/oil's performance, if yes, (which would be interesting), why did you register on bitog, having in mind this is a car dedicated forum?

Last edited:
Thank you Guys for all your comments and below I attach a response I received from one of the Total Engineers (I hope it is OK to post the response):

"In answer to your question, both oils have the same performance level, but the Quartz 9000 Energy 0W/30 is made with synthetic oil with some hydrocracked base oil, this has now replaced Quartz 9000 Energy FE 0W/30 which can still be used in your vehicle."

I've put my stash for sale. What sells, sells. What doesn't will be used.

Aral Super Tronic G 0w-30 will be used in it's place if I sell enough. Slightly more expensive though, and higher SAPS.

I've put my stash for sale. What sells, sells. What doesn't will be used.

Aral Super Tronic G 0w-30 will be used in it's place if I sell enough. Slightly more expensive though, and higher SAPS.

So your summer French affair is officially over now.
smile.gif

Not really. It's not what I wanted, but it's no worse or better than the majority of 0W-30out there. I wanted the low-ish saps but if the formulation changed I can't be sure of that.

But I'm already using this oil, and will at least use the rest of the can I started.

I understand. Before I was somewhat fixated tk the base oil type too. Luckily those days are over for me. Sure, for anecdotal purpose only I'll do my research, but wouldn't choose oil on that basis only.
For me it either has approvals or does not.

So you're after limited ash B4 or strong C3 oil?

Well, no interest anymore in a voa now...

Shipping is a deal killer, but if you think we can figure something out, I may be interested in one 5L jug... I have a new mower
smile.gif

Back