Tool shortage

I have been trying to buy a table saw for about a month. The ultra expensive saws are in stock but most of the reasonably priced ones are and have been sold out. I ordered a Kobalt from Lowe’s and they canceled my order due to being back ordered. I drove to another city to buy the Kobalt saw, got it home, it was missing parts to put it together then the motor quit after cutting two boards. Would like the $300 Ridgid but would try the $270 Ryobi. No 10in saws in my area from a reputable brand under $500. I even looked in other states. Anyone know why there is such a shortage?
Anyone have a recommendation for a table saw that’s got a good fence? It will be used in hot weather and we’re remodeling our basement then replacing floor in shed then building a playhouse.

I have been trying to buy a table saw for about a month. The ultra expensive saws are in stock but most of the reasonably priced ones are and have been sold out. I ordered a Kobalt from Lowe’s and they canceled my order due to being back ordered. I drove to another city to buy the Kobalt saw, got it home, it was missing parts to put it together then the motor quit after cutting two boards. Would like the $300 Ridgid but would try the $270 Ryobi. No 10in saws in my area from a reputable brand under $500. I even looked in other states. Anyone know why there is such a shortage?
Anyone have a recommendation for a table saw that’s got a good fence? It will be used in hot weather and we’re remodeling our basement then replacing floor in shed then building a playhouse.

What is the maximum width that you need to cut? I've had the Bosch for more than 10 years. It's a good saw. Sometimes o wish I had the full sized cabinet saws, but I make due with this.

Did you check local ads to buy a used saw for cheaper?

Last year, I bought one of the portable Bosch saws ($449. on sale)
I've been happy with it. One of the nicest in that category.
Next best would probably be the DeWalt.
Can't go wrong with either one.

Is Craigslist broken?
Seriously, this is something that I would try to buy used first.
I know locally Kijiji is more popular than Craigslist. Prices for everything have gone up. Even broken flat screen TVs that don't work or damaged are being listed for $100 bucks.

I get what you are saying, but I've been trying to get rid of a bunch of woodworking tools from an estate for years and the stuff is pretty much worthless. Even good quality tools don't sell for much if at all, because people would rather have a cheap new one from Harbor Freight.

Reactions: JC1
yep try craigslist ...I bought a used delta table saw .cast iron table , direct drive, with stand for 200 , the fence is somewhat abused but still very usable

Check out estate sales, and garage sales. I have a cousin who is a fantastic full time carpenter, and when he was just getting started he found an estate sale and there was a huge amount of high end wood working equipment for very good prices. He bought a lot of it and still uses it today.

I get what you are saying, but I've been trying to get rid of a bunch of woodworking tools from an estate for years and the stuff is pretty much worthless. Even good quality tools don't sell for much if at all, because people would rather have a cheap new one from Harbor Freight.

Yes it depends on the person. Some people will never sell their stuff they want full price or close to what they paid for it. You have to be patient to get things for a good price.

I'd rather older tools that I know are American made and would last longer.

What is the maximum width that you need to cut? I've had the Bosch for more than 10 years. It's a good saw. Sometimes o wish I had the full sized cabinet saws, but I make due with this.

Did you check local ads to buy a used saw for cheaper?
I wouldn’t want less than 25” capacity

Demand is huge lately - because people are spending their time on home improvements. Also, people are tending to go the stores to buy; not waste time browsing.

Reactions: JC1
First, I’m sorry to tell you that we aren't allowing polls right now, but since your poll had only six respondents, and lacked many excellent saws, I think you’re better off without it.

So, since your thread is actually about tablesaw brands, not tool shortages, except insofar as your saw choice is constrained, would you be willing to change the title? You might get better, and more helpful responses.

Now, I think we need to define a couple of terms, you’re talking about a “tablesaw“ but in reality, I would call it a “table top“ saw. The size that you mention is powered by a universal motor, not an induction motor, and it lacks the torque for serious work. It’s OK for minor projects, or small pieces of wood, but you will be disappointed not to mention putting yourself at risk if you try and manage a sheet of plywood or ripping anything bigger than 3/4” stock.

If those limitations are acceptable, then there are many excellent brands in the range that you’re looking. They include Bosch, Dewalt, and some of the names your poll had. I would avoid the in-house brands sold by Harbor freight, or Northern tool. Stick with a company like Bosch, DeWalt, or Makita.

My last tablesaw purchase was right about 30 years ago, so while I’ve looked at the new table saws at Home Depot, or Lowe’s, or other woodworking supply shops, I wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending a particular brand right now. By the way, my 10 inch Delta tablesaw still runs like a champ, I used it yesterday. It is a quality tool, with a cast-iron table top, a cast iron trunnion, and an induction motor. It is wired at 220 V. The drawback of course, is the weight, and the purchase price. If I were to buy a new tablesaw today, I would be looking at a Powermatic, wired for 220 V. This may be far more machine than you need, or want.

Perhaps the best advice, is to go get a copy of the annual tool comparison by either fine woodworking magazine, or fine homebuilding magazine. Both of these excellent publications frequently test larger table saws, smaller cabinet saws, or your table top saw. The annual tool comparison often includes a discussion of the pros and cons, the trade-offs, with each different size and configuration of table saws.

This is the result of American companies relying Chinese imports. Ceiling fans aren’t far behind.
I have been worried for years that we won't be able to build fighter airplanes at some point, because all the electrical terminal machines went to China in '00.
(I followed some tobacco machinery for a while, and got to looking at machine exodus trails...)

By the way, both the Bosch and Dewalt are available locally where I live, at Home Depot and Lowe’s, respectively.I think your shortage is regional.

Back