Why no saws with flesh detecting except for one?

Looks like 2026 according to this patent attorney:

This was just posted today.

Last edited:
Also, based on what little research I've done on this, it's usually caused more by "kickback" than directly “grabbing” the blade.

I’ve had a kickback before, and I was lucky.

Based on a lot of YouTube videos, quite a few people have not been lucky with table saw kickbacks.

Another facetious remark misunderstood. To put you at ease, I still have all my appendages attached to my body.
Impossible to tell without a J/K or smiley and glad you can count to 21. Lots of people give no thought to safety and sooner or later pay for it. See lots of stupid stuff on YouTube. As the safety guy at several different companies this stuff makes me cringe. And the first thing lots of guys do when they get a new power tool is take the safety guards off.

That $90 cartridge that self-destructs if the saw detects flesh is way cheaper than any ER visit or more. If I were buying a new table saw I'd get it.

Impossible to tell without a J/K or smiley and glad you can count to 21. Lots of people give no thought to safety and sooner or later pay for it. See lots of stupid stuff on YouTube. As the safety guy at several different companies this stuff makes me cringe. And the first thing lots of guys do when they get a new power tool is take the safety guards off.

That $90 cartridge that self-destructs if the saw detects flesh is way cheaper than any ER visit or more. If I were buying a new table saw I'd get it.
Dry humor does not warrant smilies. 😛

My daughter, a hand surgeon, in a big city, sees several “tablesaws” a week. Sometimes, she can re-attach severed digits, or repair hands mangled by a saw, and sometimes, the best she can do is stabilize what is left.
In 2009 I suffered a hand injury cutting the tendon to my left index finger and partially cutting the tendon to my left middle finger.
I did it with a sharp razor utility knife.

I had a one of the best hand surgeons in the country operate and repair it. Visually it did not look bad.
My hand was cast from fingertips to the elbow for 6 weeks.

Recovery was awful. I could not bend any of my fingers.

It took 2 months to close my hand in a fist, a year to have my strength back and that was with dedicated therapy.

It could have been career ending for me.

A hand injury is no joke and if serious, recovery can be a year.

I'm sure your daughter has helped many, and surprised many with how hard recovery is.

I am now super cautious with saws and sharp knives.
IMG_20230924_173621644.jpg

IMG_20230924_173825248.jpg

The funny thing about Sawstop, and I’ve talked/chatted with other owners about this.

You’ll put more effort into being careful around the blade on a sawstop, to not accidentally trigger the brake and trash a blade, than you were with your fingers on a traditional saw.

Something else worth mentioning is, dollar for dollar, you’re not going to get a better saw for the price. The saw portion is well thought out and executed.

Yeah, it seems like a nice table saw. And the price isn't bad for a portable. With accessories and stuff, it can be just under 1K.

A lot cheaper than losing a finger, or hand.

When I was working in the cabinet shop, we had a Sawstop rep come in and do the weenie test. Pretty impressive.

IMO, there's no substitute for safety awareness and proper training.

I recently heard that the shop had replaced the contractor table saws with Sawstop saws.

I'm not sneering at all at this finger saver. I don't use my Delta 10" much any more. 35 yrs ago, I used it to do the finish work on my house. I'm even more scared of it now than I was when I first bought it. I used to work with a guy who had a "thoe" put on after an encounter with a band saw. Be careful. Anything designed to cut wood cuts flesh better. Ditto for grinding wheels

Back