Too many choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about you, but when I'm offered too many options, whether it be movies or oils, my brain goes into indecisive mode. I do this a lot when looking for a movie on Comcast On Demand or Netflix.

With my last car I installed Mobil 1 and left it at that. I like to use one brand consistently as much as possible. BITOG is not good for me. LOL

I hear ya. I occasionally flip flop from Mobil to Pennzoil. I'm giving Chevron a shot in my van, which was a first for me.

Originally Posted by buster
With my last car I installed Mobil 1 and left it at that. I like to use one brand consistently as much as possible. BITOG is not good for me. LOL
Yeah, I'm the same way as you. And for that reason I ignore BITOG chatter, or else I'd be switching to a different oil at every single oil change.

There have been studies on this that shown that when there are too many choices, people tend to shut down and not make a choice at all. I forget the article now, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people start making poor choices as a result--it becomes too much work to even look at all the choices, so they just pick the first one.

Me, I'm just starting to use Supertech for everything. What could go wrong?

You know what you could do? Make your own mix. A quart of 0W20 for cold flow, and a quart of 20W50 for thick film protection. Add in 5W30 if you live someplace that has wide temperature extremes, then double the batch if you need to.

One quart should be PYB for its cleaning abilities, one should be synthetic for its high temperature handling. One quart should be something like Amsoil or Royal Purple, as that expensive stuff must be good for something. And one quart should be cheap dino to help keep costs in check. Should probably use a quart of Mobil 1 and a quart of Supertech, just to cover all bases.

It is referred to as the paradox of choice.
Too many options leads to an inability to make a selection for fear of not making the best selection.

It happens in the toothpaste aisle and the motor oil aisle amongst other locations.

It's likely you could go to an auto parts store and pick any oil that matches the viscosity and specification listed in the owners manual and put it in your car regardless of brand and follow the manufacturer recommended OCI and your car would go to the junkyard with no engine issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
It is referred to as the paradox of choice.
Too many options leads to an inability to make a selection for fear of not making the best selection.

It happens in the toothpaste aisle and the motor oil aisle amongst other locations.

Thank you. Wikipedia's page also brings up overchoice and then analysis paralysis.

This is where brand loyalty makes it easier, though with Shells latest product lines that might be changing.

I don't know about you, but when I'm offered too many options, whether it be movies or oils, my brain goes into indecisive mode. I do this a lot when looking for a movie on Comcast On Demand or Netflix.

Costco believes in those types of reactions. Choice in sizes and varieties of a product are limited on their shelves. If it is something along the lines of what you are looking for, you will likely take the one they have on the shelf rather than not being able to decide amongst the choices.

I keep my choices simple by limiting myself to what has an available rebate and/or discount. This year I have only purchased gallon or 5 quart jugs of oil from Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella, as well as one 5 quart jug of Valvoline. I have have also purchased random quarts of oil from those brands and a few others based on need and availability.

I see no reason to do anything otherwise for what my needs are.

I look past all the hype and chaff and use what i know works, been using the same oil for the last 50+ years, not into rebates switching oils or mixing.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by supton
There have been studies on this that shown that when there are too many choices, people tend to shut down and not make a choice at all. I forget the article now, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people start making poor choices as a result--it becomes too much work to even look at all the choices, so they just pick the first one.

Me, I'm just starting to use Supertech for everything. What could go wrong?

Oh boy your car is going to explode.
lol.gif

I agree with all of the comments so far. Part of it is also curiosity. I've been fairly brand loyal to Mobil over the years, but still am objective about the the quality of other brands.

I had Mobil 1 in my Camry for 10k miles and lost about 1/2 qt. Put Valvoline in and will see how that goes.

You'll be ok with your decision. What I like about BITOG, is that if you look at the big picture during most posts, you'll see what is important from what isn't (unless you are trolling). Most brand name oil will be fine for most applications.

I'm currently running Valvoline and Shell in my cars. Usually buy what's on Sale at Walmart and Stock up on Black Friday or After Christmas sales.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
Over 13 years here, I've decided to put in the cheapest 5 qt. jug I can find. Don't care what it is, just has to be 5w20 or 0w20.

Same, and even the weight is optional in most of my vehicles.
I am at the point that I will use xw-20 or xw-30 in vehicles spec'ed for xw-20, and use xw-30 or xw-40 in vehicles spec'ed for xw-30.
So these clearance deals on 0w-20, 10w-30 or 10w-40 are fine by me. I don't care about brand.
My shelf currently has Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Peak, Pennzoil and Rotella on it, and just use whatever when oil change time comes (I have been using my most "expensive" oil first to get my cost per qt down).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back