Tom Tom GPS free lifetime map update??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes the lifetime update is not what a consumer would expect, because all over the box they sell it with lifetime updates. Apparently deep deep in the bowels of their fine print a "lifetime is 4 years" as they define it. Deceptive and an outright lie IMO. Any a gps it works fine even with the old maps so I figure I have gotten more than my $$ worth out of it and will probably still be able to use it for a few more years before it becomes a paper weight. Could buy a new GPS but really would rather spend my money on important stuff like hops for my beer maker.

So it sounds like you didnt call or email them. I guess assuming is just easier.
grin.gif

It is for me, and FYI I am not assuming anything, because the thing still works even with old maps, plus I have my phone as well. I probably only would use it once a year if that much. If I used a GPS every day then yes I would probably call them or just get a new one.

I basically started this post to make people aware that with Tom Tom at least, lifetime and free may not mean what you think it means.People can make their own decision on what brand to buy as there are many many brands of GPS and they all do the same thing. If my experience with the free update helped make some people aware of the issue so be it, if not... then so be it. This thread has run its course IMO

Originally Posted By: BJD78
lifetime and free may not mean what you think it means.

But how do you know that? You have people in this thread who said they called and they fixed it.
I had zero problems updating my ancient Tom Tom before giving it away.
Your update failed so your just assuming TomTom is trying to "rip you off" somehow.

Them evil corporations are all alike i guess.
wink.gif

OP was literally told there was an issue where some tom tom owners lost their lifetime update status, and all it takes is a phone call to get it back...then decides it's just not that important.

Then why in the world create this thread in the first place?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back