Today reaffirmed my trust in Techron.

I read (here perhaps) that the PEA in Techron works upon shutdown to cleanse injector nozzles. Ergo, the product is best used before a stint of local driving
Also, I read a post here which claimed Techron cleaned up in-tank fuel gauge hardware; restoring a member's gauge.

I use the B trip miles divided by miles per gallon to calculate approximately how many gal have been used on the tank and then multiply that by 4.45 to figure out how many milliliters of red line SL1 to add to the tank before filling it up. I use a 100ml translucent graduated cylinder to measure out that many ml Redline SL-1, and put that amount into the gas tank before filling up at every fill-up.
Wow…

Are you serious? Post a pic? Wow.
This is from an online Kia Soul owners manual (GDI). It says to use an additive if you’re not using Top Tier gas. My Souls owners manual says pretty much the same thing. The additive Kia and Hyundai sells is Techron.

73846F7C-2E31-4416-8F29-668E30422374.jpeg
9C6D7717-27BF-4A5B-B3C4-03D8CA0B23FA.jpeg

62AC3295-4996-4815-A723-A7966D86C41E.jpeg

Last edited:
This morning I started my engine and had some rough idling on my way to fill up for the day, didn't really think much of it because Hyundai engines are just like that. ...

FYI We have 2 Hyundai

2005 Tuscon 2.7L V6 MPFI purchased new and the engine idles and runs very smooth after 220K+ miles.

2014 Tuscon 2.4L GDI purchased new. My wife liked the 2005 reliability and wanted another Tuscon ... and now 115K+ miles and idles and runs great.

I don't recall either car idling rough or running bad ever! Winter or summer.

Not sure about "Hyundai engines idling rough". Maybe we've been lucky!

also not sure if this has anything to do with it or not but we gas at Chevron or Shell and avoid 7-11 type gas stations.

Is it GDI? If it is it probably needs the intake valves cleaned.
Ch
My Daughter having idle problems on her elantra. I will be trying this, this weekend
I had the same problem with my daughter 2017 Elantra no engine codes just a rough idle even when warmed up but no power loss. Find out it was the OE coils not good at 32k

Last edited:
This is a 20 ounce bottle provided by Chevron Techron . So , two 10 ounce bottles of CHEVRON Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner at Walmart should be fine .
I just use one of the 12 oz bottles I got at auto zone when they had a buy one get one sale. It says one bottle is good for up to 12 gallons of gas and that’s about the size of my tank in the Kia Soul.

Pretty easy to find Top Tier fuel ...

You can filter the results for country locations.
In the US, it's hard to swing a stick and not find a Top Tier fuel retailer somewhere near you.

From AAA:

“Fortunately, consumers can reverse some engine deposits simply by switching gasoline brands,” said Greg Brannon, AAA’s director of Automotive Engineering. “After a few thousand miles with TOP TIER gasoline, performance issues like rough idling or hesitation during acceleration can often be resolved.”

There's some cleaning that is done both directly and indirectly. Of course on GDI engines it might miss some parts, but if it gets sprayed and runs down the cylinder walls into the oil then there is a point where eventually it will clean the pcv valve, intake valves,etc. If it's done in conjunction with the proper services like CRC IVD it should be able to maintain or keep in check. The lack of driving and get vehicles up to temperature will cause just about as much problem as anything.

There's some cleaning that is done both directly and indirectly. Of course on GDI engines it might miss some parts, but if it gets sprayed and runs down the cylinder walls into the oil then there is a point where eventually it will clean the pcv valve, intake valves,etc. If it's done in conjunction with the proper services like CRC IVD it should be able to maintain or keep in check. The lack of driving and get vehicles up to temperature will cause just about as much problem as anything.
You know what, I’m glad you said this because you do have a very good point. I noticed this many years ago when cleaning throttle bodies. I noticed that predominantly using Chevron gasoline resulted in less carbon in the throttle body, intake manifold and associated PCV hoses were much cleaner (dare I say completely clean) when using mostly Chevron gas.

Back