Titanic tourist sub missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
"their sub was subpar":rolleyes:
I think your comments are premature. Nobody has any idea what has happened.. anything from mechanical failure to structural failure or getting hung up on wreckage/debris.

there is usually a pretty wide safety factor included, and this wasnt anything new its made trips in the past.

It made tris in the past….

But let me tell ya….

I’m not going in a sub that is only rated at maximum depth of 4,000 meters and KNOW I am going down to 3,800 meters…

Just me…. Call me crazy…. But I am choosing the one that is much stronger constructed and rated to go down to 6,000 meters depth.

All day… every day… I want the one with a much, much higher margin for something that will be exposed to an exceptionally and extreme high pressure at such a depth of a dive.

It made tris in the past….

But let me tell ya….

I’m not going in a sub that is only rated at maximum depth of 4,000 meters and KNOW I am going down to 3,800 meters…

Just me…. Call me crazy…. But I am choosing the one that is much stronger constructed and rated to go down to 6,000 meters depth.

All day… every day… I want the one with a much, much higher margin for something that will be exposed to an exceptionally and extreme high pressure at such a depth of a dive.
Likely around 5500-5600 psi 😵‍💫

it's not the first time they have problems.
"their sub was subpar":rolleyes:
I think your comments are premature. Nobody has any idea what has happened.. anything from mechanical failure to structural failure or getting hung up on wreckage/debris.

there is usually a pretty wide safety factor included, and this wasnt anything new its made trips in the past.
yes and they failed last year, people paid the 250 000 bucks and saw nothing because of communication fail. if they were really that serious, they would have improved on the design of the mir 1 and mir 2 submersibles with 30 years of service and 6170 meters depth reached in 2003. and by 2007 they already had cumulated 720 successful dives. they have been to the bottom of lake baikal, titanic, bismarck, they are legendary subs.

I wasnt saying you were wrong. I was rolling my eyes at "sub was subpar" 😆
and saying its abit early..

My guess implosion due to fatique from repeated dives.. but that is very early to say.

It was made out of carbon fiber and titanium.. and had to be rebuild due to "cyclic fatigue" previously.

5" thick of over 600 layers of carbon fiber.

Seems like enough, although I'd wonder about the repeated cycling of carbon over time. Seems like metal would be a better choice.

Especially given the interface between the titanium spheres and the carbon tub.

Titan (4000 meters)​

OceanGate worked with engineers from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, to develop and manufacture Titan, a 5-person vessel made of carbon fiber and titanium.[5] The filament wound cylinder that forms the center section of the pressure vessel is 130 mm (5 in) thick and made from 660 layers of carbon fiber material. The entire pressure vessel consists of two titanium hemispheres, two matching titanium interface rings, and the 142 cm (56 in) internal diameter, 2.4 meters (7 ft 10 in) long carbon fiber wound cylinder – the largest such device ever built for use in a crewed submersible.[citation needed]

OceanGate's Titan is the vessel used in the survey expeditions of the RMS Titanic wreckage site. The first expedition took place in 2021.[6]

In June 2023, while on an expedition dive to the Titanic wreck site, Titan went missing.[7][8]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back