Tires with different dates and country of origin

I just received new Falken tires for my 4Runner. Bought thru Amazon but shipped direct from Simple Tire. The 4 tires have these dates and COO:

1. 5121 Japan
2. 0622 Japan
3. 0323 Japan
4. 2923 USA

I’m a little disappointed. What would you do? Or am I crazy to worry about this?

These were bought with Amazon prime with supposedly free returns..

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpeg
    IMG_2190.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Did the listing specify country of origin? If not, I don't think I'd personally hold them to a free return policy. If you are willing to work with them on shipping I'm sure they'll come through. Simple Tire is a good vendor.

Being different country of origi. Is it possible that the rubber compounds/formula could be slightly different?

I'd send them back and not buy anymore mail order tires.
I've had zero issues ordering tires online through Wal-Mart (from Wal-Mart). They arrive quickly, are fresh, and the production codes if not matching, are close to each other.

If this is a deal-breaker for you, send them back... or order two more and see if you can make a decent set of four from six total, then send two that you don't want back.

Wondering if Falken moved production of these to the states....?

Last edited:
I just had a tire replaced due to a screw, frustrating with less than 5k miles on the set but also easier that way. New one is made in Portugal (USA on the other 3) and doesn't have the little rubber "nubs" on the side like the other 3. Clearly manufacturing process is slightly different...makes me wonder if the compounds are also a little different. 🤔

I decided to weight the tires for the hell of it using an accurate scale The three Japan made tires all were 44.2 lbs. The USA made tire weighted 45.8 lbs.

I’ll probably return them…

On the Miata forum that I frequent was a post about the car driving funny after new tires were installed.
What was found that 3 tires were from one country and one from another (that obviously means different factory). Rear LSD was not happy.
After replacing the odd tire the car started driving normally.

So “the same” from different factories may not be and your weight test shows it too.
Contact the seller and tell them that you need 4 tires from the same factory or you return them.

Krzyś

I wouldn’t think anything about differing origins or dates especially since you’re talking two first world countries of production. Different origins and dates are pretty common on motorcycle tires as often the production is split for different sizes and you can never tell and that’s on a bike where tires have way more impact on feel. I doubt you’re going to notice any difference on a 4Runner.

I would measure the diameters of the tires, and run them if they're within 3/8 of an inch

There's no universal answer to this. If the company is operating well, then it absolutely should not matter. The manufacturing process and compounds SHOULD be the same everywhere. Now, even the best run company can have a run of defective tires due to a manufacturing issue at one plant and not the rest, but that's a fluke. The biggest issue there would arise if you have 1/4 tires recalled due to that well into their wear and the company refuses to replace any additional tires on an AWD/4WD vehicle. But an asteroid could hit tomorrow and nullify it all, too.

Then, there's Michelin, or any number of low-tier brands, for whom quality control and standardized processes and components may not be top priority. But, the answer is, a big fat MAYBE. Who knows. All depends on a million variables outside of a consumer's control. The vast majority of the time in the modern world, it won't matter a bit.

Back