Tires: where do you folks buy them?

I used to only use Discount Tire, but they broke a stud 3 different times on 3 different occasions on my GTO even after I told them not to use impact tools, the last time they sent me to a shop (Christian Brothers) to replace the stud the tech banged on a very expensive DBA rotor and severly damaged it AND damaged my hub, so a $100 dollar stud replacement turned into a 2K rotor and hub replacement, needless to say i was extremely PO'd. I will never buy tires from Discount Tires again. So now its Costco or Tire Rack and I stand there watching to make sure no impact tools are used. I have been a Discount Tire customer since 1994, but never again even if they gave the tires away. F@%& Discount Tire.

The Tire Rack using their tire install service ASAP Tire. My wife had a set of 4 tires installed on her A4 at our home without an issue.
Very professional. The Tire Rack checked back with my wife if she was happy with the service and you have the option to tip after the service. That makes the installer strive for excellence.

I was buying them from BJ's Wholesale Club for about 20 years, but have become a fan of Nokian Tires in the past few years. BJ's doesn't carry Nokian, so I get them from my indy garage that does all my other repairs.

Honestly, I always check Walmart online first. Then Tirerack afterwards for purchases. Garage down the street mounts & balances tires for 22 bucks a tire.

Honestly, I always check Walmart online first. Then Tirerack afterwards for purchases. Garage down the street mounts & balances tires for 22 bucks a tire.
Parsons tire does this as well. I’ll mount them after work myself and save the $10 “tire disposal fee”.

Most of tires I bought over last 20 years were online deals, got one set of winter tires at local store last year as they had tire I wanted at great price.

DT. They price match and give a military discount. Their employees are almost as friendly and courteous as the workers at Publix.

Interesting corporate history, From the DT website;

Our founder, Bruce Halle, enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1950 and served a tour of duty in the Korean War. He returned from service with a strong sense of patriotism and duty that he applied to our business throughout its growth since he started it in 1960. We’re honored to pay this service back to all current and former members of the U.S. Military.
Mr_Halle_Military

about 6 weeks ago my lady friend had 4 tires mounted and balanced by Discount Tire. It took 45 minutes and the tires are very smooth. AKA properly balanced. Total price $360. She bought cheap tires. Her 2014 Fuzion has Lots-O-Miles on it. Still a nice car that starts and runs smooth. She will probably need another set in the future, as I think it will be a solid car for several more years. But two sets of these 16" tires is still less than Premium tires.

Last edited:
One great local shop changed hands before I could react (my fault). They were OK but not impressive.
It burned because a closer shop did "found tires" better and I wouldn't've minded having tires delivered.

I typically buy from Walmart, but have used other online retailers before.

I have a tire machine and computer balancer at home, so no need to go anywhere.

Wherever I find the best pricing. Best deal to date was craigslist five years ago, picked up brand new Michelin AT2 E rated for my truck for $500. Guy bought them to replace the tires on his lease before turn-in, but he got a new lease so the dealership took the turn-in as is. I’ll never find a sweet deal like that again.

Walmart, amazon, ebay, facebook marketplace, CL, DTD. Mount & Balance at home.

I buy tires at a local independent shop. Their prices are as good as the chains or better and the service is definitely better.

Back